In Memoriam

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
JazzNU United States of America

Re: In Memoriam

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:10 pm He was no longer involved with McAffe. He sold it precisely because he felt that the way the company was going sucky.
Casting: Ethan Hawke in middle life, Nick Nolte old. The man was ravaged by age.
Since I don't remember a time it was ever good, my comment stands.

Keep Ethan far away from this. He sounds completely sick in the head. I don't want Ethan doing the whale storyline that would probably have to make it into the movie.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:10 pm He was no longer involved with McAffe. He sold it precisely because he felt that the way the company was going sucky.
Casting: Ethan Hawke in middle life, Nick Nolte old. The man was ravaged by age.
Ethan Hawke - yes

Nick Nolte - eh
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

This is a good, eye opening thread on the guy. Read some of the first comments if you don't know the whale story too. And there's a Netflix doc on him called Gringo: The Dangerous Life of John McAfee along with many other looks into his life.

https://twitter.com/thetomzone/status/1 ... 0755536902

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:58 am This is a good, eye opening thread on the guy. Read some of the first comments if you don't know the whale story too. And there's a Netflix doc on him called Gringo: The Dangerous Life of John McAfee along with many other looks into his life.

https://twitter.com/thetomzone/status/1 ... 0755536902

What a life...
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Donald Rumsfeld, former US secretary of defense, has died at age 88.

His famous quote about unknown unknowns: "As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say, we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns — the ones we don't know we don't know"
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Sadly, he was right. It was an interesting quote.
But, he was part of one of the darkest administrations on Earth, for a democratic country. Rumsfeld, Cheney and Rice were truly bad consiglieri for W. Too fast and eager to go to war.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:46 pm Sadly, he was right. It was an interesting quote.
I think the concept of unknown unknowns is not that different from Taleb's black swan. If so of course he was right.

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JazzNU »

This year man. RIP

JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

RIP Biz--I believe that he went on from his rap career to being a very successful DJ

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I was watching a baseball game last night and the organist played "Just A Friend".

RIP Biz.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

He was also the inventor of the American dream.
(Bad joke).
May the universe welcome him.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Charlie Watts, drummer for The Rolling Stones, has died, at age 80.
There is no way you can wish a "Rolling Stone" to rest in peace. All these men did during all their lives has been anything but bring joy and happiness to millions of people, but certainly not peacefully. If anything, he, and his buddies, are the definition of joyous mayhem. So: may the universe allow him to keep raising hell, if he so wishes.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Charlie Watts was known as the 'tame' member of the band. He wasn't into the 'rock star lifestyle'... I think he was married for several decades (to the same woman!)...
While his peers were going to more and more elaborate, complex drum sets, Charlie always played a very basic set, having no need nor desire to make things more complicated than they needed to be.
His death seemed to come out of nowhere.

I met him once, by chance, about 20 - 25 years ago...
I was standing on a downtown sidewalk, waiting to say 'Hi' to my dad, as he walked that route to get to the train to go home. A man passed by me, and I knew that I 'knew' him from somewhere, but I couldn't place from where. He could have been someone I played in a tennis tournament... an old school friend... Finally, about 20 seconds after he passed me, I realized it was Charlie Watts. The Stones were in town to do a concert or two at that time, and I put 2 and 2 together...

I saw that he had gone into a shopping complex - so I went in to find him, just for the hell of it. I found him in that complex within 2 or 3 minutes. He was completely alone - no bodyguards, no 'entourage', no friends around him at all. I was surprised, as he was a member of arguably the most 'famous' band that was still playing together.
I knew at the time that he was considered the 'tame' member of the band, and because of that, I figured there was a good chance that he'd be approachable. Once I found him, I approached him and said "Hi. I know who you are, and I'm not going to make a big deal about it and attract a lot of attention to you. I don't want an autograph or a photo or anything like that... I was just wondering if you'd have 10 or 15 minutes to sit down and discuss the influence that music and musicians have on kids." (I was working with 'troubled youth' at the time, and I had a genuine interest in the subject, and would have loved to talk with someone like that about it.)

Charlie looked at me and quietly said "I can't just talk about that subject flippantly like that." (So... he wanted to rehearse first?) Then he said "Besides - I'm shopping."
I wasn't thrilled with his response - it seemed arrogant, which surprised me somewhat, as this was the most 'down to Earth' member of the band. But 'down to Earth' is all relative, right?
Also - I'm quite sure that not a lot of people over the course of his career had asked him to discuss that particular subject. Usually, the request is for an autograph, or a photo, or a piece of their hair, etc. I figured a unique request might pique his interest.
But it didn't.
So when he said "I'm shopping", I said,, knowing that he'd been a multi-millionaire for a couple of decades already "You don't have enough stuff yet?" A snotty response, sure - but, at the time, I figured I'd fight fire with fire.
With that, I walked away.

By this time, I had missed the time my dad would be walking by outside - so I stayed in the shopping complex. About 10 - 15 minutes after my encounter with Charlie, I was on the top floor of the complex. As fate would have it, so was Charlie. He was still completely alone - and certainly seemed to go completely undetected during his time in the very public shopping complex (perhaps some people saw him, but said to themselves - Nah - it can't be Charlie - if it was him, he'd have an 'entourage', body guards, etc.) This time, HE approached ME. No, not because he had changed his mind about discussing the influence that music and musicians have on kids... but rather to ask me "Would you happen to know the fastest way to get down to the lower levels?"

I looked at him and simply said "Please don't bother me, sir - I'm shopping."

True story.

RIP, Charlie.
I wish we could have had that talk.

It's been a tough week for music fans, as Don Everly (Everly Brothers) died a few days before Charlie.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower