Sports Random, Random

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Sports Random, Random

Post by ponchi101 »

Copa America was going to be held jointly between Argentina and Colombia. Colombia, of course, right now could not hold a Yahtzee invitational in a high school room, with the Covid situation and the political issues running the country. Argentina is in one of its perennial crises, with the economy going to pieces and Covid also strolling the streets.
So Brasil is a perfect choice. No political turmoil, Covid free and a huge fan base for football which will fill all those stadia to the brim with people, packed shoulder to shoulder and then traveling somewhere to tell stories about how great it was.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that plan.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ptmcmahon wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:37 am You mean the Copa America? World Cup is 2022 in Qatar.
My bad. Yes. Futbol ain't my thing. :)
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:15 pm Copa America was going to be held jointly between Argentina and Colombia. Colombia, of course, right now could not hold a Yahtzee invitational in a high school room, with the Covid situation and the political issues running the country. Argentina is in one of its perennial crises, with the economy going to pieces and Covid also strolling the streets.
So Brasil is a perfect choice. No political turmoil, Covid free and a huge fan base for football which will fill all those stadia to the brim with people, packed shoulder to shoulder and then traveling somewhere to tell stories about how great it was.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that plan.
This time, no emoji was needed. The sarcasm in your post drips profusely. :)
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Also breaking news, I now despise duke 4% less
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Not only leading by 6 strokes - but he also threw in a hole-in-one.

I wonder how many idiots out there will now be thinking 'Hey - COVID ain't that bad - look at this guy - he was leading by 6 strokes and had a hole-in-one while he had the virus! No need to protect myself - or others - from it'.

Sadly, there will surely be some members of the species who think this... sigh...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

Wow! If they fire him and his replacement doesn't deliver, I wonder if that has the potential to erode some public support for Bolsonaro. Pitiful to suggest I know, everything else should do that quicker.

Post by JazzNU »

So, I knew Brazil played Venezuela at Copa America on Sunday and Brazil won. I hadn't realized Venezuela was down 13 players to covid, 8 of whom were starters. I'm not even sure how that works.

Bolivia also down 4 players to covid.

Delayed games? Not a one in sight.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

That's one of the greatest gifs ever.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Marketing and commercialization has gotten out of control... so I quite like this.
I hope that more athletes start showing enough guts to do the same...

Cristiano Ronaldo Removes Coke Bottles From Press Conference

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I don't know. I am ambivalent in this one. No one has ever forced me to drink a coke, or a pepsi, or anything. The data are well known and it is available.
It is like cigarettes'. By now, the harmful effects are extremely well known. If you still want to smoke, I am not sure if I can feel really sorry for your ignorance.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I'm thinking about kids, for whom these athletes are role models. And so anything that their favourite athletes market (or, as in this case, appear to market) will influence the young ones.
Also, I just don't like the commercialization of sports in general. It's not like sports needs that much more money - most pro athletes have been grossly overpaid for years - compare their salaries to what teachers, or even doctors, make - and the latter two contribute significantly more positives to society than athletes typically do.
R.I.P. Amal...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »