Curling! (the sport, not your hair)

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
ptmcmahon Canada

Re: Curling! (the sport, not your hair)

Post by ptmcmahon »

I'll still partially disagree... one game you may make all the perfect shots, the next game you might slightly miss those same shots. Or the ice is slightly different in the next game / end and what worked one game all of a sudden doesn't work the next.

We're not machines who always do everything perfectly unless pressure makes us screw up. Not to say pressure of course doesn't play a role, and it sure seems like in a lot of situations teams/people have a "let down" after a big win... but I think it's just a lot more luck / random chance than necessarily anything psychological(90% of the time :) ) Sometimes the big wins come from when the random factors all go their way so naturally you do worse the next game when you aren't having all the luck go your way.
:steven:
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I still say that it's mostly psychological factors which determine the physical performance. Like a 'let down' after a big victory, for example, is due to a lack of focus and concentration 99% of the time.
Adjusting to the ice is also a psychological element, in my opinion.
In sports like curling, the conditions are rather static, with the exception of the ice. No sun or wind, etc.
In outdoor sports, adjusting to the sun, wind, bad calls, crowd noise, etc. are all psychological components, some of which manifest themselves physically (adjusting to the sun and wind, for example).

Last I heard, broadcasting resumes only tomorrow afternoon (Friday). It's unclear if TSN will be broadcasting or not, but the WCF youtube stream is scheduled for 4pm...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAKIdg ... DM0_W_Z_gA

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Canada may be out by then if we don't beat China in the AM.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Got the win this AM so that should ... at least ... get us a tiebreaker. Hopefully will be able to watch playoffs this weekend at least then.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Yeah - China kind of gave them the win this morning - 4 of Canada's 6 points were stolen.

Now it's just wait and see what happens in the other games this afternoon and tonight. It's never a good position to be in when you're relying on other teams to help you - but they put themselves there.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

None of the three 6-6 teams are playing each so if all win we could have a 5 way tie for 5th and 6th spots at 7-6 (or if Norway lose last game, a 6 way tie for 4th!) I'm not even going to pretend to try to figure out all the scenarios here. But at least a couple of tiebreakers sure seems likely.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Yes, it's been a logistical nightmare...
I didn't try to figure it out, either - but the website I've been looking at is saying now that, no matter how it's calculated, and regardless of who wins/loses tonight's games, Canada has qualified for the playoffs. This also means that Canada has secured their spot in the upcoming Olympics.
The only thing tonight's games will determine is the order in which the teams finish.

As I mentioned previously - if Canada wins this thing, it will be the comeback story of the decade. At least.

R.I.P. Amal...

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

"Head-to-head results and last stone draw numbers are used to settle ties at this competition instead of tiebreaker games. " So guess we beat the right teams and 7-6 South Korea (and 6-6 Scotland playing tonight) didn't.

We beat Denmark, but lost to US. And Denmark beat USA. So if Denmark lose tonight I guess spots 4 to 6 decided by "last stone draw" numbers. If Denmark win tonight think we play Sweden in 3-6 tomorrow.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Sweden it is this morning - thanks to my friends the Czechs who couldn't convert hammer in the 10th end in a tie game, giving up a steal to Denmark.
It was a disappointing week for the Czechs, who showed promise at times, but not enough. They hardly played any games this season, due to the lockdowns. The Czech Republic has not done well in 2021 with the virus situation.
But there are other teams who also hardly played any games, of course.

So... sudden death this morning for Canada, Sweden, Denmark, and USA. It's unfortunate that the 2 strongest teams of the 4 play each other, and only one will come out of it.
R.I.P. Amal...

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Looks like it’ll all be on tv at least. Pvr is set.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I'm sorry to see Nova Scotia struggling with positive cases now, after doing so well for so long.
It's incredible how quickly and easily this thing spreads - like a forest fire occurring from a spark.

I hope things are as well as they can be in your family, at least.
R.I.P. Amal...

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Well, that didn't last long. Sweden completely outplayed Canada - they played 8, but it was pretty much done after 5.

Canada still has a chance to win the Worlds, though - both the USA and Sweden are coached by Canadians (though the USA is down by 4 now, and will have to come back massively to beat the Swiss.
R.I.P. Amal...

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

One thing I did find amusing Saturday night in Sweden's semifinal loss, there was one shot that was slightly underthrown and you had all four Swedish players sweeping it in...can't remember ever seeing all four sweep a shot before. :)
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I would have liked to have seen RCF win... because they seem like a nice group of women, and Kovaleva seems to be the antithesis of Sidorova... and because the Swiss women on the team have already had a bunch of success over the years, of course.
But the Swiss were in control from the outset.

It's less fun watching curling on TV when you know you can't go out and play - and that's been the case this year for most of us.

That's it - no (real) curling until the fall. (I don't consider mixed doubles to be real curling - and any traditional spiels before the fall won't carry the weight of the ones played over the past couple of months.)
R.I.P. Amal...

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein