Curling! (the sport, not your hair)

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
ptmcmahon Canada

Re: Curling! (the sport, not your hair)

Post by ptmcmahon »

I'm not as surprised.. the last few years we have not dominated internationally the way we used to. I see it saying we are tied for sixth and last playoff spot.. is it a three round playoff with top two teams with a bye?
:steven:
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Yes, I believe that's the format.

Indeed, other countries have definitely improved significantly over the past 15 - 20 years or so, resulting in Canada not being as far ahead. But we're still clearly among the best, and so it's surprising that we're fighting for one of 6 playoff spots.

Darren was pretty hard on himself after the Sweden game, saying that he missed shots and line calls, and that cost them the game. He said he has to do better. So he showed up today clean shaven (he had had a beard that was at least a few weeks old) - and, as a result of the shave, he and the team played well and beat Norway. :)
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

I'm not surprised that the Botcher rink is struggling a little bit at the World Championships. First time representing the country, plus after 3 runner-up finishes at the Brier to finally win it has to be emotionally draining. It was always going to be difficult to reset for the Worlds. It's a major advantage for other countries because they are often sending the same team over & over again - Norway 3rd Torger Neergard is playing in his 13th World Championship, for example - whereas Canada is so competitive most teams maybe get a couple changes.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Some of the other countries are sending the same teams every year - like Sweden, USA... Scotland and Switzerland the last few years, too -, but others are not.

The counter argument would be that the Bottcher team has several years of experience playing in the Brier, where the field is almost always tougher than it is at any World Championships. So it could be said that that experience playing against high quality teams for a coveted prize should have toughened them up to the point that the World Championships might even seem less difficult by comparison (and maybe that's what the problem has been - they did lose to 2 or 3 teams that they should not lose to - maybe they took them too lightly.

Of course, as you mention, wearing your country's colours adds pressure for everyone, so maybe that caused some nervousness.
I wonder how they would have played under normal circumstances, with fans in the seats. Maybe they would have felt more pressure... or maybe the fans would have given them the boost they needed at crucial times.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Well, that's all for Canada...
They got to the playoffs, and so secured an Olympic spot - but lost right off the bat in those playoffs, so they're done.
Close game - 3-3 after 8 ends... Scotland got 2 in the 9th on a great, very delicate draw where there was very little space available.

Scotland played a great game - everyone on the team curled over 90%. A well deserved victory.
But sad for the Bottcher team - and for Canadians.

AFTER THAT GAME, all three games scheduled on Saturday (one qualifying game and two Semi-Finals) were put on hold due to some positive COVID-19 tests within the curling bubble. None of the people who tested positive were from playoff teams.
The remaining playoff games will only be played once everyone involved tests negative and the environment is considered safe.

These are the first positive tests in the Calgary curling bubble, which has lasted about a month and a half now, with the 'Scotties', the Brier, and the Canadian Mixed Championships having been played without any positive tests. There are three events remaining in the Calgary curling bubble, which is scheduled to last about one more month: two 'Grand Slam' events, and the final event - the Women's World Championships.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/curling/articl ... -covid-19/

R.I.P. Amal...

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I was hoping to watch some today. Maybe the Olympic Channel will show replays.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:25 pm I was hoping to watch some today. Maybe the Olympic Channel will show replays.
Have you ever watched curling before this?
R.I.P. Amal...

skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:25 pm I was hoping to watch some today. Maybe the Olympic Channel will show replays.
World Curling TV has also been showing draws on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/WorldCurlingTV

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:18 pm
Have you ever watched curling before this?
Yes. I became a fan during the last Winter Olympics. Until then I'd ignored it completely.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The Olympic Channel in my area is showing the US vs Switzerland live. The commentary is very good and they explain the jargon that goes with the sport.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Switzerland is through.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

... And all the players are wearing masks during the game.

Over a year into this pandemic, and things are worse now than they've ever been here in Canada.
Sigh...
R.I.P. Amal...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:47 pm ... And all the players are wearing masks during the game.

Over a year into this pandemic, and things are worse now than they've ever been here in Canada.
Sigh...
I noticed that all of the men were wearing masks.

There's a Canadian journalist I follow on Twitter and he's been raging about what's going on in Canada re the pandemic for weeks.

Be safe.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

They are now even mandating in some parts of Canada that everyone playing a sport or group activity OUTSIDE must wear masks when more than 2 people are involved. Tennis is ok without a mask... but baseball, soccer, and any team sport, now requires wearing a mask even outside.
I'm not even sure if doubles tennis is allowed - even with a mask. Last I heard, no doubles in tennis or pickleball, even outside.

It's well beyond getting serious now...
R.I.P. Amal...

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

... And masked Sweden beats masked Scotland for the Championship.
It was 5-5 going into the 9th end. Scotland's last rock was 5 feet light, and that was the difference. It allowed Sweden to try the runback double on the last shot of the end - with the risk of only giving up a steal of 1 and having Hammer, down by 1, going into the 10th. But the reward would be scoring 4 or 5 if the run double is made.

So Edin tried the run double, and made it, scoring 5, to suddenly make it 10-5. Scotland conceded.

Curling is one game where the final score sometimes really doesn't reflect how close the game was. This game was one such. The difference was literally 2 shots - the final 2.
R.I.P. Amal...