Horse Racing Random

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
dryrunguy

Re: Horse Racing Random

Post by dryrunguy »

Strange morning line for tomorrow's race (Race 2). It's not at all what I expected, though Danceswithbourbon is about right at 5/1. That said, I'm not sure I could have done any better. It's just a really nutty race. I can't wait for the TVG coverage tomorrow to hear the talking heads try to make sense of it. If Matt Carothers pics Danceswithbourbon to win, I'll want to punch him in the p-face!

https://entries.horseracingnation.com/e ... 2021-03-20
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Good luck! I'll toast your horse with some honey bourbon tonight to wish him the best of luck.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Guess who won her debut?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :yahoo: :bananas: :freaking:
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Danceswithbourbon TBD 3-20-21.jpeg
Final finish:

1st. 3 Danceswithbourbon (4/1)
2nd. 6 Flippant (2/1)
3rd. 5 Moanas Power (2/1)
4th. 1 Opulent Ways (5/2)
5th. 2 For Sure (9/1)
6th. 4 Ladys Cross (30/1)

Preliminary Equibase speed figure for Danceswithbourbon is 72. That's solid for a first out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

:clap: :clap: :clap: Good for you (and for her :) )
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Woot! That's good because I am leaving in an hour to get some bourbon...
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Video of Danceswithbourbon's race has been posted. It was TIGHT at the wire, but she got it done and showed A LOT of guts.

JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Congrats @dry! So exciting. And truly, what a great race! Typically I would toast a celebration with some champagne or prosecco, but again, I'll stick with honey bourbon. I'm thinking I need to get another bottle soon. :)
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:40 am Congrats @dry! So exciting. And truly, what a great race! Typically I would toast a celebration with some champagne or prosecco, but again, I'll stick with honey bourbon. I'm thinking I need to get another bottle soon. :)
Enjoy your bourbon! In other news, I just saw the official number on trainer Jordan Blair's futility with first-time starters. Going into today's race, he was 0/17 with first-time starters.

Jordan is super disappointed he wasn't there for the race. But today was his son's third birthday, so he had the priorities right, even if he didn't get to see his first winner on a first-time starter. He's a really good guy.

We'll see how Danceswithbourbon is tomorrow. All indications are that she will come out of the race fine. And then, off she goes to either Keeneland or Churchill Downs--much deeper, shark-infested waters. It's kind of like going to Congress.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Meanwhile, I was so giddy over Danceswithbourbon's win yesterday that I neglected two very important events regarding the lead up to the Kentucky Derby on the first Saturday in May.

First, Life is Good sustained some kind of a hind quarter injury during his workout at Santa Anita yesterday morning. He has been scratched from the Santa Anita Derby and requires at least 2 months of rest. That pulls him off the Derby trail.

Second, Hot Rod Charlie won the Louisiana Derby, a key prep race for the Kentucky Derby and an automatic "win and your in" race for the Derby. Mandaloun was the 6/5 post-time favorite.

dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

dryrunguy wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:23 pm First, Life is Good sustained some kind of a hind quarter injury during his workout at Santa Anita yesterday morning. He has been scratched from the Santa Anita Derby and requires at least 2 months of rest. That pulls him off the Derby trail.
Minor bone chip in back left ankle.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

I mentioned horse breeders and owners, Ken and Sarah Ramsey, a few times before on the old forum because my filly, Bold Article, ran against one of their runners a few times. The Ramseys have won six Eclipse awards--four times for Outstanding Owner and twice for Outstanding Breeder.

Now two trainers, Wesley Ward and Mike Maker, two of the most successful trainers in the business, are suing the Ramseys for unpaid training bills that apparently go back about a year. Combined, the Ramseys owe Ward and Maker nearly $2 million.

What is it with rich people not paying their bills?

Ramseys Hit With Two Civil Suits Seeking Nearly $2 Million In Unpaid Training Bills

Multiple Eclipse Award-winning owner/breeders Ken and Sarah Ramsey have been hit with a second lawsuit from one of their trainers while in the process of settling a separate suit filed last week by another. Wesley Ward filed suit against the Ramseys in Jessamine County Circuit Court March 19, while Mike Maker filed suit in Fayette Circuit Court a week earlier. Each case centers around just under $1 million in delinquent training bills.

Ward alleges that the Ramseys owe $974,790.40 in unpaid training bills, trainer's portion of winning purses, and interest. Invoices attached to Ward's suit show balances stretching back to June 2020. Although Ward concedes Ramsey has made payments in the months since, with one $50,000 payment days before the lawsuit was filed, the balance has remained in the high six figures throughout that period as training bills continue to mount.

Maker's suit alleges the Ramseys have been delinquent on training bills in his case for “almost four years” and their current balance owed to him is $905,357.29 – down from the $1.25 million they owed last summer. Maker's suit stated the couple promised to pay him in full by the end of 2020, but that did not happen. According to the complaint, Maker said $543,597.26 is more than 90 days past due.

When reached by phone last week, Ramsey said he was surprised to learn Maker had filed suit against him and was eager to work out a deal to pay Maker in full in exchange for the suit being withdrawn. As of press time, Maker's suit remained open per digital court records.

“I thought we had things worked out and I thought I had a schedule to get things worked out on,” said Ramsey, citing his long-standing relationship with the trainer. “I'm shocked. I didn't think he'd file a lawsuit because my assets well exceed what I owe him, by far.

“It's not that I'm not paying, it's just that I guess I'm not paying fast enough. I have never beaten anybody out of a dime.”

Ward and Maker both filed UCC-1 financing statements with the Kentucky Secretary of State to create liens against the horses which had racked up the unpaid invoices. Maker placed liens on 27 horses, while Ward placed liens on a separate group of 44 horses. Both trainers have had some of those horses leave their possession through retirement or claiming, with Maker down to just three still in his barn: Artie's Rose, Risk Manager, and Telephone Talker. Ward's suit seeks a court order to sell the horses named in his lien, with proceeds being applied to the unpaid balance, as well as any ongoing expenses from his day rate of $110.

The Ramseys have won the Eclipse Award for Outstanding Owner four times (2004, 2011, 2013, and 2014) and the award for Outstanding Breeder twice (2013 and 2014). Since 2000, Equibase reports the couple has won 2,217 races from 9,790 starts for total earnings of more than $97 million. Their annual earnings have fallen from their peak in 2013 of over $12 million, and last year the stable brought in $2.3 million from 274 starts. Their Ramsey Farm in Nicholasville, Ky., was the longtime base for the operation's homebred and centerpiece stallion, Kitten's Joy, who relocated to Hill 'n' Dale in 2018.

Last year, Maker was also one in a long line of horsemen who were carrying outstanding balances by Zayat Stables. Ahmed Zayat filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection in September 2020, listing an outstanding balance of $120,921.88 to Mike Maker among other creditors.

Maker trained a number of the Ramseys' graded stakes winners, including Vicar's In Trouble, International Star, Oscar Nominated, Admiral Kitten, Al's Gal, Kitten's Dumplings, Furthest Land, and Shining Copper.

Ward has trained graded stakes winners Artie's Princess, Emotional Kitten, Holiday for Kitten, and Pleasant Prince for the Ramseys. Ward was also tasked with accomplishing Ramsey's goal of getting a winner at Royal Ascot, which Ramsey has yet to attain.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... ing-bills/
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Assessed value vs liquid assets?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:12 pm Assessed value vs liquid assets?
I would bet that's precisely the issue. The Ramseys have oodles of assets, but they aren't liquid. That's my guess. I also don't think this is a new development. Their breeding operation has cut back in recent years. Some years back, they sold their prominent stallion, Kitten's Joy. Their earnings via purse money has dropped sharply (I think they article stated just over $2 million in 2020).

And it all flows downhill. The owners pay the trainer. The trainer pays the jockey. Trainers have to pay their backstretch people. So if trainers don't get paid, it restricts the cashflow to cover their own expenses.

Don't get me wrong. Wesley Ward and Mike Maker are rolling in it. I doubt they have cashflow problems in spite of the money owed them by the Ramseys. But still... After this episode, the Ramseys will have a helluva time finding trainers willing to take the risk. And you know it's really bad when the legal documents filed by trainers urge the court to force the sale of horses, if necessary, to pay the money owed.