Talk about the NFL

For those 4 months of the year
Togtdyalttai United States of America

Re: Talk about the NFL

Post by Togtdyalttai »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:08 am Texans were the only team that didn't request an interview with Bieniemy. Deshaun spoke up about this ridiculousness publicly after he'd already made it known that he respected him and wanted him seriously considered for the job. And then the rest of the Texans stuff came out. And then the Texans requested the interview. This is seeming very much like them trying to save face because their players, not just Deshaun, and their fans, were outraged when it became known they hadn't even requested an interview. Texans players have been strongly advocating for him as the next coach.

If' I'm Eric, I think twice about taking this position in the current situation if it's offered. A front office that never wanted you suddenly hiring you to basically try to save your franchise QB from forcing a trade is a dicey situation. I'd absolutely talk to Deshaun first to see if he's open to staying if he comes on board.
I know the situation isn't great, but Watson is one of the top 5 quarterbacks in the league. If you can somehow get him to buy in and somehow put some pieces around him, you've got a team. Big ifs, but still, a quarterback is what you want to build around. Of the coaching positions which were open this year, Houston's the only one which has a solid franchise quarterback.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Or at least "had" one and may not soon. ;)
:steven:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The Texans hiring Bieniemy does a lot. It helps them negotiate with Deshaun. It makes them attractive to any incoming offensive draft picks. Simply, it is a good choice.
You have to wonder why the obvious decision is so difficult (I know why, but sometimes it is still hard to swallow).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

One thing I've noticed is people like feeling smart when watching shows/movies - I love it when they are able to make a twist seem like you are figuring it out a little before you should be, or at least before it becomes obvious.

I wonder if sports is similar in a way - it makes us feel smart because so many times we are watching games or hirings and we are screaming because they aren't making the obvious choice/decision.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Togtdyalttai wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:20 am I know the situation isn't great, but Watson is one of the top 5 quarterbacks in the league. If you can somehow get him to buy in and somehow put some pieces around him, you've got a team. Big ifs, but still, a quarterback is what you want to build around. Of the coaching positions which were open this year, Houston's the only one which has a solid franchise quarterback.
I think Eric would take it if Deshaun stays. Deshaun staying is not a done deal if you didn't know. The most reliable NFL reporters are hearing that he's played his last snap as a Texan.

He has a no trade clause in his contract. If he wants to go, he's going. He's completely in control of the situation which is why the Texans are already looking at trade deals. But Deshaun has to sign off on any team they send him to.

Post by JazzNU »

The new Detroit Lions coach ladies and gentleman

And a little bit of a longer clip:

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:35 pm The new Detroit Lions coach ladies and gentleman

Uh who is this guy?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:37 pm
Uh who is this guy?
Exactly. Dan Campbell, the Tight Ends Coach for the New Orleans Saints as of a week ago, now the head coach of the Detroit Lions.

I added a longer clip to the original post too.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

So hit them three times and they will stay down...if you don't mind your kneecaps being bitten. Got it. Calling a 3-13 season next year now :D
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

As the resident who lives closest to the home of the Lions - it is truly embarrassing that we neither got Saleh (the hometown boy who professed his wont to coach the Lions) nor Bienemy but a "hungry" coach who has sincere lack of "reps" in appropriate position.

Let's just trade Stafford to Indy and get this over with.

Post by JazzNU »

Saleh interviewed with the Lions first. So they had their shot at getting him before the Jets.

A lot of Stafford to the Colts talk. Not sure I see it happening because the Lions don't have a high enough draft pick (it seems right now at least) to get one of the more sought after QBs this year. So will they really trade their franchise QB without that? It's not like the Colts have a high draft pick to trade them. We'll see. There's several that are saying Matthew wants out. And with the recent reports, I've wondered if that's why he put that house on the market last year.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

To absolutely no one's surprise Mahomes has cleared the concussion protocol.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

This guy sound... erudite :?
This is a joke and an insult. I said it at the beginning of this season: every player, on the first day of next season, must take a knee. Otherwise the little sign in the back of your helmet, the one that can't be read without a x100 telescope, is a joke.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:19 pm To absolutely no one's surprise Mahomes has cleared the concussion protocol.
I still say that game is 50/50. He may have cleared the protocol. It does not mean he is 100%.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:22 pm
ti-amie wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:19 pm To absolutely no one's surprise Mahomes has cleared the concussion protocol.
I still say that game is 50/50. He may have cleared the protocol. It does not mean he is 100%.
Oh I agree. There is no way he will be 100%.