Talk about the NFL

For those 4 months of the year
JazzNU United States of America

Re: Talk about the NFL

Post by JazzNU »

So, it doesn't appear the Houston Texans account was hacked and Adam Schefter retweeted it, so I assume this isn't a joke. But they've announced that they are continuing discussions of their vacant head coaching position with Jim Caldwell and...Josh McCown. TF?
Togtdyalttai United States of America

Post by Togtdyalttai »

Jim Caldwell makes sense. The Lions never should have fired him. As for Josh McCown, I'm with you.

Post by JazzNU »

It is truly insulting that he even gets an interview for the same position Jim Caldwell is up for. Forget Eric, there are so many position coaches and coordinators working hard to get a shot and they are working the supposed promotion track available and a guy who was on a roster this year who has never coached in any way in college or the NFL is getting an interview for a head coaching position? So much more than just insulting and wrong.

And there's a few reporters who are like, it's not that crazy, the plan is to surround him with a former head coach and former coordinators. So they want to surround him with people who should be getting the head coaching job, but want to give it to junior here so he can take all the credit if it goes well, and likely deflect blame when it goes bad? Give me a break with this ish. You'd think he was the owner's son with this BS.

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JazzNU »

People keep talking about Stafford to the Colts. But I'm not sure why that's the team being talked about so much other than Phillip Rivers retiring. Maybe he'd mentioned Indy as a landing spot? I'd think the Washington, the Bears, the Panthers, the Dolphins, and the Niners would all start trade talks with the Lions. There's a lot of teams that are in need of a re-up in the QB position, some more desperate than others, and some closer to winning than others, and you'd think that'd be Matthew's main goal. And I'd be on the lookout for the inevitable too.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Stafford to the Pats makes sense.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
shtexas United States of America

Post by shtexas »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:35 am People keep talking about Stafford to the Colts. But I'm not sure why that's the team being talked about so much other than Phillip Rivers retiring. Maybe he'd mentioned Indy as a landing spot? I'd think the Washington, the Bears, the Panthers, the Dolphins, and the Niners would all start trade talks with the Lions. There's a lot of teams that are in need of a re-up in the QB position, some more desperate than others, and some closer to winning than others, and you'd think that'd be Matthew's main goal. And I'd be on the lookout for the inevitable too.

I think it's because Indy is a dome team.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

That was a half of football y'all.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Even if they lose: so much for Brady needing Bielichik. More of the other way around.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

In case you missed it...

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

shtexas wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:31 pm I think it's because Indy is a dome team.
Though I think that makes sense, I've heard the dome mentioned just once when I've heard it mentioned. And I've heard this impending trade talked about almost all week on ESPN and online so I've heard/seen it dozens if not hundreds of times, so II don' think it can just be that.

As I've seen several point out, Indy may "feel" right to people because it's another Midwestern city that seems like a good fit with a team that is ready to win now, but most of the other teams can offer a higher draft pick and will Detroit honestly be able to pass up on something in the top 15 for the 21st pick and whatever else they can get to rebuild. The Lions are set to lose Golladay this offseason in addition to Stafford.

In addition to the teams I mentioned before, I've seen Broncos mentioned often, but also the Eagles, the Falcons, the Steelers, the Saints and the Jets. I wasn't thinking about any of these teams (except the Broncos, I just forgot that last time), but all of them make sense just like the first list. Quite a few teams in the market.

And interesting point about the Falcons that I haven't seen mentioned, not only do they have the dome if that's a factor, Atlanta is an area that Matt and his wife consider their second home.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:44 pm Even if they lose: so much for Brady needing Bielichik. More of the other way around.
Disagree. Brady has been complaining all year and been in a tug of war for control over how the offense is run with Arians. Brady's won the battle in this final stretch. What has he been fighting for? To run the NE offense in Tampa. If he wants to truly be free of the Belichick, he can't be getting his old NE teammates or running anything that was conceived under Belichick.

I think what you said is going to be the narrative, and has been the narrative all season long, even though the people on TV making those claims are the same people who've been screaming to let Tom run the Patriot offense in Tampa the way he wants anytime the Bucs have stumbled this year. Using those exact words.

As for Belichick needing Tom. I'm not fan of Bill's, but basing anything off this year for him when he had the majority of his most impactful defensive players opt out for the year is unfair to his legacy.

And related to this, it has been highly disturbing to see so little mentioned about what Cam Newton looked like pre and post-covid. It was a startlingly difference, was mentioned early on that maybe he was having some lingering effects and almost like they told them not to mention it again because we don't want to bring attention to how callous we're being, I barely heard another word about it in the second half of the season. Only thing more disturbing on that front has been Myles Garrett's clearly lingering covid effects being dismissed like it's normal for a star defensive end to be grabbing oxygen after every single play.
Togtdyalttai United States of America

Post by Togtdyalttai »

The refs just screwed the Packers over. I know it would have been a penalty if they had been calling it like that for the whole game, but they hadn't done that. I now understand how Saints fans have felt in the past few years.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:47 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:44 pm Even if they lose: so much for Brady needing Bielichik. More of the other way around.
Disagree. Brady has been complaining all year and been in a tug of war for control over how the offense is run with Arians. Brady's won the battle in this final stretch. What has he been fighting for? To run the NE offense in Tampa. If he wants to truly be free of the Belichick, he can't be getting his old NE teammates or running anything that was conceived under Belichick.

I think what you said is going to be the narrative, and has been the narrative all season long, even though the people on TV making those claims are the same people who've been screaming to let Tom run the Patriot offense in Tampa the way he wants anytime the Bucs have stumbled this year. Using those exact words.

As for Belichick needing Tom. I'm not fan of Bill's, but basing anything off this year for him when he had the majority of his most impactful defensive players opt out for the year is unfair to his legacy.

And related to this, it has been highly disturbing to see so little mentioned about what Cam Newton looked like pre and post-covid. It was a startlingly difference, was mentioned early on that maybe he was having some lingering effects and almost like they told them not to mention it again because we don't want to bring attention to how callous we're being, I barely heard another word about it in the second half of the season. Only thing more disturbing on that front has been Myles Garrett's clearly lingering covid effects being dismissed like it's normal for a star defensive end to be grabbing oxygen after every single play.
I like your analysis, but I feel Belichick is going to be like Popovich sans Duncan. He is certainly a great coach, but let's see what he does with a new QB next year. As of today, and the way these guys play the game, Brady is in the SB, Bill did not make the playoffs. That is as much of an analysis I can make.

Post by JazzNU »

Yeah, this will likely be similar to the Saints where the fans are going to ignore the other things that happened like they did, namely an interception in overtime by their HOF QB, in favor of hating the refs because it's easier to blame them. The Green Bay Packers fans should be mad at a party of one right now: Matt LaFleur.

It's 4th and goal on a one score game and you kick the field goal when Aaron Rodgers is your QB? And you give the ball back to Tom Brady with 2 minutes still on the clock? You deserve to lose with that nonsense.

Also, How do you not turn those two straight Jaire Alexander interceptions into any points?!?

I know the Packers fans will probably blame the refs, but they really shouldn't. So many chances to at least tie and it just didn't happen. LaFleur will have a tough week or two of questions and it's well deserved time on the hot seat. The Mike McCarthy/Matt LaFleur memes popping up right now says it all.