Damian Lillard
No votes
Other
25%

Total votes: 4

patrick United States of America

Re: NBA 2020-21 season

Post by patrick »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:15 pm And now, this. Banner day for the NBA and it's not even 10 am.

Leonard will be back for Game 6 if Jazz win tonight.

By the way, Skip Bayless will probably be asking for a Mountain Dew intervention.
patrick United States of America

Post by patrick »

Speaking of injuries, Harden played 46 minutes last night on a hamstring injury where I know is not 100% healed.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Suliso wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:00 pm Is NBA usually this injury affected in play offs?
Yes and no. There are more injuries this season because of the short off season, that's just a fact.

For the post season, it is regularly affected by injuries, but many times we think of those injuries as happening before the playoffs begin and the team is shorthanded in their playoff run or (hopefully) getting a player back at a certain point to play and help win a title. But many injuries have happened in the middle of the playoffs too. Think about KD and Klay getting injured on their way to likely win another title in 2019. Or when the Bulls with Butler, Rondo, and Wade were embarrassing an over-confident Celtics in their playoff series until Rondo went down with an injury (and people have complete amnesia about the way that was going and give the Celtics way too much cred as a good playoff team because of it). Or when Kelly Olynyk got a well earned reputation as a dirty player after injuring Kevin Love's shoulder big time and ending Love's season with the Cavs early in the playoffs one year. Or when Derrick Rose tore his ACL in the playoffs when he was the superstar with the Bulls.

Going back in NBA history, you'll find plenty of examples of injuries affecting a team's chances of advancing and/or winning. Could there be a few more this year in line with the regular season stats? Maybe. But it might just seem that way because it's affecting some of the favorites.
Last edited by JazzNU on Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by JazzNU »

patrick wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:13 pm Speaking of injuries, Harden played 46 minutes last night on a hamstring injury where I know is not 100% healed.
Not sure it's even at 80%. But I loved his approach and I'm not one to praise Harden. He was like, I'm going out, even people will dog me cause I can't lift off the same, didn't score a single point in the first half and only had one FG the entire game, but he said I'm going to help in any way I can. To say he was moving at his own pace was an understatement. He wasn't pushing that hamstring for all it was worth, he was gingerly walking up and down and just taking it easy, getting back into his rhythm.

He was always going to be rusty in his first game back, better Game 5 than Game 6 seemed to be what he was thinking. And if there's no ill effects, then it was a solid plan.

Post by JazzNU »

patrick wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:12 pm
Leonard will be back for Game 6 if Jazz win tonight.
I'm not sure where you're seeing Kawhi will be back by Game 6. I'm definitely not seeing that.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

I mean, I get it, but convince me he'd be tweeting this if he was still in the playoffs with a very good chance of getting another ring.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

So glad you said it.
About rest. Yes, last season was very odd. But it was also interrupted for about (what was it?) two months, and then as the playoffs started, teams were slowly back into a break. The bubble helped with the traveling, and this season was 10 games shorter.
All of the players that are injured NOW were in IR for a while during the season, so these are, A BIG MAYBE, injuries that have not have time to heal totally.
Also: what was the NBA to do? At the time of the decision, the Olympics were clearly in the possible mix. It was a tough decision to make.
My god, it's full of stars!

Post by JazzNU »

The Sixers have a personnel problem. They've consistently had one in recent years except one particular year when instead of making it clear there were 3 superstars leading the team they felt the need to prop up just Joel and Ben when Jimmy Butler was closing out damn near every important game they were in, especially in the playoffs. I have always thought it was why he left, no one was willing to give him his due here the way his performance was deserving of, they kept with the Joel/Ben Trust the Process BS. And now, who can close out a game for the Sixers? No one, not with any consistency. Maybe Joel can eventually, but he can't now. That's why they are in this situation. They should've swept this series or at worst won it 4-1. They can definitely still win this series, they had back-to-back almost blowout games until these seemingly unfocused, unconditioned players wilting by the end couldn't hold any version of a 20 point lead. The city is ready to go scorched earth if this isn't turned around. Pissed doesn't begin to describe.

Now Paul George? Looked like he was the Pacers version of himself last night. Glad he delivered that performance, quieted some of the doubters. But he needed that too I think, remind himself that he can still do that, that he was for many years, the best player on a playoff team, not the second best as he is now. Reggie Jackson (name should be banned from all of sports unless we're talking about the MLB HOFer), who I talked about before as being nothing to write home about, proved me wrong last night. Not sure he can do that again, but what a great game last night. The Jazz went in to that game way too confident that they'd win just because Kawhi wasn't there.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The Jazz' dependence on 3's was appalling. They hit 17 in the first half, meaning they made 20 3's and 16 2's in the game. But of course, after the first half, they forgot they can also score without shooting from the stands. With the game still in reach, Donovan dribbled past the center line and then shot a 3 from slightly in front of the logo. Dude, your last name is not Curry or Lillard, play your game, not the game you wish you had.
About Philly. I would not mind them winning, as they have a bunch of players I like (Hill, Green, Harris, Simmons) but everything you say is true. How come the Hawks came back from 26 down, and then the Sixers forgot how to score a bucket... well, I do not know enough about basketball to analyze it. But is Trae Young buries them tomorrow, as you say, let Dr. J and Iverson be the ones that start the slaughter.

Post by JazzNU »

AI was there last night too. Even more embarrassing.

The Jazz shooting 3's in that manner and then keeping at it when they were missing repeatedly reminded me a ton of March Madness, where you see that so, so much as they hope, wish, and pray their game can be like Steph's and failing miserably almost all of the time. Pros should be considerably more disciplined than college players.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:25 pm AI was there last night too. Even more embarrassing.

The Jazz shooting 3's in that manner and then keeping at it when they were missing repeatedly reminded me a ton of March Madness, where you see that so, so much as they hope, wish, and pray their game can be like Steph's and failing miserably almost all of the time. Pros should be considerably more disciplined than college players.
So was Dr J.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ESPN showing the game tonight. Fabricio Oberto, former NBA (and former Spurs, with two rings) just pointed out that Harden must be hurt because he stole the ball from Giannis and, with an open court in front of him, did not take off.
Good point.

Post by JazzNU »

Oh he for damn sure isn't faking. Did you watch the last game? He was strolling up the court. That being said, as I mentioned, I liked his approach. I wasn't watching thinking, this is so, so stupid, he's going to make it so much worse the way I was watching Anthony Davis. Sheesh that was a bad idea from the first step. Harden's moving a bit quicker tonight so potentially doing slightly better. Already bested his FG total from the last game. lol

Post by JazzNU »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:27 pm The city is ready to go scorched earth if this isn't turned around. Pissed doesn't begin to describe.