'24 Aus Open Day 6 Order of Play & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
mick1303 Ukraine

Re: '24 Aus Open Day 6 Order of Play & Discussion

Post by mick1303 »

jazzyg wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:05 am I love Andreeva's game.

When she gets a little stronger, she will be a real threat at every slam. i agree with Mary Jo Fernandez. She plays more like Hingis than anyone since Hingis. Whether or not she will develop the power to win a huge event remains to be seen.
Yeah, I've noticed that immediately when I first saw her. She has the same thing Hingis had - instinctual anticipation ability. Can't be trained IMO, just a natural talent.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

One small upset on the women's side after all - Haddad Maia has been beaten easily by the mighty qualifier!

Kostyuk vs Timofeeva for a right to face Gauff in QF's.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Suliso wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:22 am One small upset on the women's side after all - Haddad Maia has been beaten easily by the mighty qualifier!

Yikes!!
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Fastbackss wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:06 am Shelton's inability to beat lefty's was making me consider a few quid wager on Adrian until I realized how much his play frustrates me to watch
Unimportant update to this.
My snarky post made me look up the odds. Mannarino was nearly 2 to 1 odds.
So I went to back up my comment. But am traveling for work and the app got confused by my location since I am out of state, and the third time it asked me to restart - I bailed.

Anyway it was a fun match to watch. I woke up and caught fifth set
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

35 year old Mannarino will have a career high ranking Monday after next.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Storm Hunter got tight trying to close out the match. Had 2 match points on opposing serve - first one Barbora hit a fantastic swinging volley. Second one Storm hit the UFE.

She then got broken and lost the set.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Suliso wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:00 pm 35 year old Mannarino will have a career high ranking Monday after next.
Just one more of those old guys keeping Next Gen down :D
:steven:
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Has Andreev played Ostapenko yet in her young career? I want to watch that match especially if they're both feeling moody.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:47 am
Suliso wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:22 am One small upset on the women's side after all - Haddad Maia has been beaten easily by the mighty qualifier!

Yikes!!
Timofeeva is playing with house money. Wozniacki was rolling her 6-1 and a break in the second, I think, in the second round. Commentator said she is a known fighter. Certainly is. Good for her.

Post by meganfernandez »

mick1303 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:43 am
jazzyg wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:05 am I love Andreeva's game.

When she gets a little stronger, she will be a real threat at every slam. i agree with Mary Jo Fernandez. She plays more like Hingis than anyone since Hingis. Whether or not she will develop the power to win a huge event remains to be seen.
Yeah, I've noticed that immediately when I first saw her. She has the same thing Hingis had - instinctual anticipation ability. Can't be trained IMO, just a natural talent.
Yeah, it's lovely to see. She was also courageous last night... isn't that something we see from the teenagers, who don't have a sense of their own tennis mortality yet? :) Anyway, she made great decisions on nearly every ball fro 1-5 down in the third.

Post by meganfernandez »

Owendonovan wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:11 pm Has Andreev played Ostapenko yet in her young career? I want to watch that match especially if they're both feeling moody.
Nope. You think Andreeva is a drama queen? :) She was yelling her two-part "Come on! Let's go!" on every point in her third-set comeback, but I guess you can't blame her.

Post by meganfernandez »

Korda's performance in the 2nd set tiebreak almost makes me get off the Sebi Train I've been on for a while. He was up 4-2, I think - definitely a mini break - and came in behind a great approach to the BH. Rublev scraped it up for a lob, and Sebi totally misjudged it and let it go over his head, scurried back for it, but didn't get there in time. It was like he froze - a club-level mistake. A few points later, he charges again (good for him to keep coming forward after that) and has an easy backhand volley to a wide-open court down the line (not even close to the line, actually) and knifes it sharp cross-court instead, I assume to avoid Rublev's forehand. But Rublev saw it coming from a mile away and bunted a BH pass. Just a couple poor decisions and Sebi lost the tiebreak. Instead of drawing even in the match, he's down 2 sets to love and loses in three. He had a lot of trouble controlling Rublev's pace.

I know it doesn't mean Sebi is hopeless. But now I worry.

Mistakes at 3:49 here -
On the right side, he set up those points beautifully,
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:05 pm Korda's performance in the 2nd set tiebreak almost makes me get off the Sebi Train I've been on for a while. He was up 4-2, I think - definitely a mini break - and came in behind a great approach to the BH. Rublev scraped it up for a lob, and Sebi totally misjudged it and let it go over his head, scurried back for it, but didn't get there in time. It was like he froze - a club-level mistake. A few points later, he charges again (good for him to keep coming forward after that) and has an easy backhand volley to a wide-open court down the line (not even close to the line, actually) and knifes it sharp cross-court instead, I assume to avoid Rublev's forehand. But Rublev saw it coming from a mile away and bunted a BH pass. Just a couple poor decisions and Sebi lost the tiebreak. Instead of drawing even in the match, he's down 2 sets to love and loses in three. He had a lot of trouble controlling Rublev's pace.

I know it doesn't mean Sebi is hopeless. But now I worry.

Mistakes at 3:49 here -
On the right side, he set up those points beautifully,
Everything means that Sebi is hopeless. AND then, compare his career to his sisters'....... :shock:
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

nelslus wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:46 am
ti-amie wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:24 am Marozsan gets it back on serve at 4-5. Fritz was serving for the set at 5-3.
....SO, Fritz pulled off the upset today after all. :gorgeous:
:lol:

Indeed
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:00 pm 35 year old Mannarino will have a career high ranking Monday after next.
I have said it before. If you are an amateur, like all of us are, Mannarino is the guy you should try to play like.
Gunning for the not too shabby title of greatest over achiever ever. With that game, this guy is a testament to how many different ways you can play this sport.
ESPN gave this tidbit: Mannarino does not have a clothing sponsor BECAUSE HE DOES NOT WANT ONE. He will not sign a contract. Very odd.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem