'24 Aus Open Day 13 Order of Play & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: '24 Aus Open Day 13 Order of Play & Discussion

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:17 pm
JTContinental wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:04 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:45 pm

I think he was so far off his level, something must have been wrong. Illness or injury mostly likely... twitter is speculating about the humidity, but I think illness is more likely. That wasn't even his C level.
I also think that Sinner has his number. If Novak was sick or seriously injured he would have talked about it ad nauseum in his pressers like he usually does. This match felt a little like the changing of the guard and Novak’s domination period might be reaching its expiration date.
I've only seen clips, not the whole match, but my impression is that Novak was not even close to himself. He was clearly sick or off. I'm guessing sick. I don't think it means Sinner has his number or Novak is slipping. We don't know yet.
I've also only seen clips, but Novak is always sick or injured and still wins. To me, it's part of his cult of personality legacy now. As for Sinner maybe having his number, time will tell, but I imagine it's a short list of people who have beaten Novak 3 of their last 4 meetings.
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

I wish Medvedev said, "Yes, I was screaming Karma. What about it?"
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:45 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:49 pm Sinner was simply better in every department today than Djokovic. True that Djokovic did not play well but I don't know what he could have done..he must have felt he was playing a younger, quicker version of himself...
I think he was so far off his level, something must have been wrong. Illness or injury mostly likely... twitter is speculating about the humidity, but I think illness is more likely. That wasn't even his C level.
could be just the heat.. not easy for someone who generally plays in cooler night time conditions..
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

It's not very hot in Melbourne this year.
SpeakNoEvil Great Britain

Post by SpeakNoEvil »

Sinner looked excellent. Yes, Djokovic came out a little flat and made errors you wouldn't normally expect him to make, but Sinner playing so well made it difficult for him to find any sort of rhythm. And when Djokovic did raise his game in the third, Sinner was still largely playing better. To allow Djokovic no break points at all is really quite something. Also, good composure on Sinner's part to close it out.

It's obviously too soon to write Djokovic off, though you have to think at some point that sharp decline everyone's been expecting for years now is coming. 37 this year. There were signs last year he was struggling to match some of the younger players physically, though more often than not he still found a way to win. Then again, it was only a couple of months ago that he looked as good as ever in the ATP finals. Will be very interesting to see if he can bounce back at Roland Garros, where I favour Alcaraz to triumph.

Medvedev's really ridden his luck but credit to him for digging down and coming out on top in another five-setter.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

JTContinental wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:03 pm Novak of course saying he’s never played so badly at a grand slam, to sort if denegrate Sinner’s victory. Not the first time he’s done that after a slam loss either.

When I went to bed last night, Zverev was up 2 sets to love, so Medvedev helped the ATP avoid a PR nightmare. The probably should put a domestic abuse policy in place going forward, but I know they won’t.
You cherry picked a quote to validate your hatred of Djokovic. He was very complimentary of Sinner's game a minute later. Anyone who has followed Djokovic at all knows he is very respectful of his opponents after matches--far more so than Federer, who was much worse in the sour grapes department.

The fact is Djokovic did play terribly. I have a feeling Sinner would have beaten him no matter his level, but for him to pretend he did not play horribly out of deference to Sinner would be disingenuous.