With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ashkor87 India

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by ashkor87 »

Ostapenko will do well too, on the slow courts of IW
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Not a perfect experiment, but in order to make it more reliable, one tournament is not enough. We would need at least 10-15 predictions per player.
Too much effort because, as you say, for one tournament anything can happen. For example, a Cirstea doing a crazy one and beating a top player, only to lose to the 150 ranked player in the next round.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Who would you consider the best volleyer today? Small sample, but it is still a beautiful and effective stroke..
I would say Alcaraz and Leylah...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ashkor87 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:35 am Who would you consider the best volleyer today? Small sample, but it is still a beautiful and effective stroke..
I would say Alcaraz and Leylah...
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:30 pm Not a perfect experiment, but in order to make it more reliable, one tournament is not enough. We would need at least 10-15 predictions per player.
Too much effort because, as you say, for one tournament anything can happen. For example, a Cirstea doing a crazy one and beating a top player, only to lose to the 150 ranked player in the next round.
true..
let us agree in advance what court is slow and what is fast? I propose:
Slow: IW and Miami
the entire clay season except Madrid (altitude makes it more like a fast court)
Washington DC

Fast:
Australian, Shanghai,Paris (indoor), Turin, Dubai
all the rest are in-between (and geting slower!)
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

We could also treat clay separately..it has its own unique features...
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/wh ... -slam-hump

once I got over my initial reaction -'who cares?' and 'is it written in the sky that Americans have to win majors?' - I think the ones with nonzero chance of making it are Shelton and Michelsen.. the others simply arent talented enough...!
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:24 pm https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/wh ... -slam-hump

once I got over my initial reaction -'who cares?' and 'is it written in the sky that Americans have to win majors?' - I think the ones with nonzero chance of making it are Shelton and Michelsen.. the others simply arent talented enough...!
I loved this story. Thanks for sharing. I always thought Korda had the best chance, but I'm starting to lose faith. Shelton is next. Paul ought to be but yeah, maybe lacking a weapon. I don't think Fritz will do it. I don't know enough about Michelsen, but right now he's a lot of hype. Too soon to tell.

Not written in the sky, but it's a fair question for a country that produces so many contenders - and has produced so many Slam champs. What other country has as many contenders right now? Russia, I guess. This is partly due to the population size.

They could have done this story with a different basket of players - like the Russians or the players who have reached a semi or final, but not won - but Americans is a crisp angle with a lot to say about it. I'd like to see them repeat the angle with Russians, women, and some other baskets/categories of players.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Someone should write about Czechs. They really overperform given the modest population (10.5 million) and wealth of the country. Again they have some of the top teenage players on both tours.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:57 pm Someone should write about Czechs. They really overperform given the modest population (10.5 million) and wealth of the country. Again they have some of the top teenage players on both tours.
I actually said Czechs originally and deleted it because I wasn't sure they have a lot of top male contenders right now. Lehecka and Machac? More on the women's size for sure. Agree with your wider point. And they dominated Fed Cup for a long time.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:03 pm
Suliso wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:57 pm Someone should write about Czechs. They really overperform given the modest population (10.5 million) and wealth of the country. Again they have some of the top teenage players on both tours.
I actually said Czechs originally and deleted it because I wasn't sure they have a lot of top male contenders right now. Lehecka and Machac? More on the women's size for sure. Agree with your wider point. And they dominated Fed Cup for a long time.
Maybe Lehecka (22, #23) and Machac (23, #62) as well (not really seen them play much), but I'd be particularly positive about Jakub Mensik. Only 18 years old and already with ATP level final and in the top 100.

Traditionally they have indeed been stronger on the women's side. Much less competition there so less luck needed.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

There are also some outliers on the other end. Countries which are neither too poor nor too small, but have produced no one at all. In Europe Ireland and Portugal are in this category.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »