Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by ti-amie »

Venus career will always have an asterisk called Sjogren's. It took 7 years for the correct diagnosis of her symptoms to be made. If she had been healthy that whole time I can only speculate what her career might have been.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

“My dad said one day he’s going to engrave his name on the trophy, because it was all his hard work. So I’m like, ‘You know what? I think it would be a good idea to engrave our whole family on it, because it’s a family affair."
- Leylah Annie Fernandez.

(Her dad was kidding, by the way... But Leylah wasn't.)
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Somebody in the Djokovic management camp has to talk to his dad:
Novak Djokovic's dad launches verbal volley at Roger Federer
The best part of it:
"About 15 years ago Federer attacked my son when he was still young, he was 18 or 19 years old," said Djokovic senior in an interview on Serbian TV reported by The Sun.

"I knew someone would be there who would be better than him. So I said that [Federer] was a great champion, the best at the time.

"But as much as he is a great champion, Federer is not such a good man. It is obvious that foreign media outlets do not have the best opinion of us and think that we are constantly bothering them."

This man is bordering on obsession.
I have said it before: he simply does not understand that what he does is hurt Novak with opinions like this. And it is Ok if Novak and Roger do not like each other, but they have always been respectful of each other. So statements like this from Djokovic Sr really help no one.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The comments made by one of the comms re Badosa's chances against Barty got me thinking. First of all many US comms only watch top ten players or US players. Second, the year off gave a lot of players time to heal and work on their games.

Just a thought.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

An article I read about takeaways from Miami

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I said it in the Monte Carlo topic. He really looks like he really can't care less about the sport. He is a poster child for burn out.
And his inability to grasp where he is and what he is doing, and put it in perspective, is worrisome. You just spent a Sunday afternoon, in Monte Carlo, playing tennis. You lost and still got paid.
Meanwhile, in the real world...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Changing subjects.
The WTA does not disappoint at all. Two new winners in the same weekend, the highest ranked one being #38. We are going to be hearing about a lot of new players every week.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Benoit is not getting WC's into tournaments he's ranked high enough to be seeded or get into the MD's. If he needs a break and it seems like he does, get out of the way so that some other players who really would've liked the chance to play at Monte Carlo can get into the MD.

As for the WTA people on Tennis Twitter are taking them to task for how the Volvo Open described Kudermetova as "virtually unknown". If you watch tennis you'd know she's been doing well this season and that if the draw broke her way she had a good chance to do well.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:42 pm
I totally get that he is burnt out. I can actually even respect that. On the one hand, it can seem a glamorous life and he is well paid, but on the other hand, the constant pressure and traveling, and now dealing with Covid bubbles could be really hard. I'm not one to judge because I will never have to deal with that. (Covid, obviously yes, but not in the same way). But saying everyone else thinks the same thing is ridiculous. He will realize how good he had it, even when it was hard, when he can no longer qualify directly into Masters 10000 or 500 tournaments and is having a hard time supporting himself. For me, that's the key part of it. He's unable to see how privileged he is. He should really take some time off, get psychological / emotional help and support, and then reevaluate. There are too many other guys who would love to be in his position, though I guess that will take care of itself soon enough.

Kevin
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Being paid a lot is not a guard against burn out. It's even surprising it doesn't happen more often to top level athletes. Or maybe it does, but they are not this vocal about it.

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:55 pm Benoit is not getting WC's into tournaments he's ranked high enough to be seeded or get into the MD's. If he needs a break and it seems like he does, get out of the way so that some other players who really would've liked the chance to play at Monte Carlo can get into the MD.

As for the WTA people on Tennis Twitter are taking them to task for how the Volvo Open described Kudermetova as "virtually unknown". If you watch tennis you'd know she's been doing well this season and that if the draw broke her way she had a good chance to do well.

Ted Robinson was no help in this regard. He kept saying "all the seeds are gone" even though Jabeaur and Kudermetova were both seeds into the semifinals. It made it seem like they came out of nowhere to get this. Veronika has been playing well for over 2 years, she is more than capable of this kind of play against top players. If things broke her way and she was playing well, she could've beaten a much more impressive group of players had they been put in front of her with the way she was playing this week.

And how skewed the coverage can be, let me also point out that none of this would have been said by Ted and plenty of others if Shelby Rogers had gotten through the draw. She doesn't have a title to her name, has barely cracked the top 50 in her entire career, but they'd have been nothing but glowing had she been in the finals or the winner. It's messed up.

Benoit is in massive trouble once the rankings fully correct. He doesn't appear to be in the mindset he was 2 years ago when he dropped down to challengers to play. He's missing every bit of that drive and work ethic that he found for a time. Has openly said before now, he's only doing it for the money now. Unless he finds that drive one again, seems like he'll really fade away in the next year. 2-15 since last fall I believe.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:35 am
ti-amie wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:55 pm Benoit is not getting WC's into tournaments he's ranked high enough to be seeded or get into the MD's. If he needs a break and it seems like he does, get out of the way so that some other players who really would've liked the chance to play at Monte Carlo can get into the MD.

Ted Robinson was no help in this regard. He kept saying "all the seeds are gone" even though Jabeaur and Kudermetova were both seeds into the semifinals. It made it seem like they came out of nowhere to get this. Veronika has been playing well for over 2 years, she is more than capable of this kind of play against top players. If things broke her way and she was playing well, she could've beaten a much more impressive group of players had they been put in front of her with the way she was playing this week.

And how skewed the coverage can be, let me also point out that none of this would have been said by Ted and plenty of others if Shelby Rogers had gotten through the draw. She doesn't have a title to her name, has barely cracked the top 50 in her entire career, but they'd have been nothing but glowing had she been in the finals or the winner. It's messed up.

Benoit is in massive trouble once the rankings fully correct. He doesn't appear to be in the mindset he was 2 years ago when he dropped down to challengers to play. He's missing every bit of that drive and work ethic that he found for a time. Has openly said before now, he's only doing it for the money now. Unless he finds that drive one again, seems like he'll really fade away in the next year. 2-15 since last fall I believe.
It never ceases to amaze me that US comms don't seem to know jack about what is going on in tennis. They only know US players and those in the Top Ten with massive PR behind them. I'd be willing to bet they don't know who Maria Camila is.

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:44 am It never ceases to amaze me that US comms don't seem to know jack about what is going on in tennis. They only know US players and those in the Top Ten with massive PR behind them. I'd be willing to bet they don't know who Maria Camila is.
It's ridiculous. I kid you not, during the doubles match Ted was surprised to learn than Lucie Hradecka had a very good singles career. I felt so bad for Lindsay as she had to work to correct what he was saying without calling him an idiot.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Perhaps we don't appreciate how "special" we here are :D