With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Politics Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
MJ2004

Re: Politics Random, Random

Post by MJ2004 »

A capitol police officer who was attacked yesterday by the terrorists has died.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This might have a lot to do with Tiny's pretend contrition tonight. He's lost Rupert Murdoch. GSM as we tennisheads would say.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

MJ2004 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:40 am A capitol police officer who was attacked yesterday by the terrorists has died.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Max Burns @themaxburns
With Betsy DeVos joining a growing list of Trump administration protest resignations, Trump seems poised to end his presidency the way he's lived his life: entirely alone, having alienated everyone but his grifting kids.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Night all.
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

Re. the resignations, rats off a sinking ship. And they are rats.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

MJ2004 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:40 am A capitol police officer who was attacked yesterday by the terrorists has died.
The officer is apparently on life support awaiting family to visit - the report of their death was premature.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

In related news, president Trump and twenty-one other 13 year old children with a history of inappropriate behaviour were suspended from twitter, facebook and instagram. In a rare instance of performing a correct action, Mark Zuckerberg stated that the latter two suspensions are for an indefinite period.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

Sadly, the officer in question has now officially passed away:

The officer, identified as Brian D. Sicknick, died at 9:30 p.m. Thursday evening, police said.
"Officer Sicknick was responding to the riots on Wednesday, January 6, 2021, at the U.S. Capitol and was injured while physically engaging with protesters," USCP said in a statement. "He returned to his division office and collapsed. He was taken to a local hospital where he succumbed to his injuries."
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:06 am Max Burns @themaxburns
With Betsy DeVos joining a growing list of Trump administration protest resignations, Trump seems poised to end his presidency the way he's lived his life: entirely alone, having alienated everyone but his grifting kids.
Give me a damn break with this chick. I'm so sure Betsy's clutching her pearls at all that's gone on in the last 48 hours. Is she resigning from her family too? Peal back all the layers and people are pretty damn suspicious about Erik Prince's handprints being all over this failed coup attempt. She should've never been in this position so it's not like it's any great loss, but miss me with this ish.
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

So this happened. I guess it's supposed to be a good thing the oil companies didn't bid? Except as far as I see it, the land can still now be developed by the state. So, not a win at all?

US holds first oil lease sale for Alaska’s Arctic refuge

JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) — The U.S. government held its first-ever oil and gas lease sale Wednesday for Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, an event critics labeled as a bust with major oil companies staying on the sidelines and a state corporation emerging as the main bidder.

The sale, held as scheduled after a judge Tuesday rejected requests by Indigenous and conservation groups to halt the event, garnered bids on half the 22 tracts that were listed as available in the refuge’s coastal plain. The U.S. Bureau of Land Management, which held the sale, said the bids were under review.

The rugged remote area off the Beaufort Sea is considered sacred by the Indigenous Gwich’in. Critics of the lease sale say the region is special, providing habitat for wildlife including caribou, polar bears, wolves and birds, and should be off limits to drilling.

Supporters of drilling have viewed development as a way to bolster oil production, generate revenue and create or sustain jobs.

A state corporation, the Alaska Industrial Development and Export Authority, was the sale’s main bidder. Its executive director, Alan Weitzner, in a statement, said in winning nine tracts, “Alaska preserves the right to responsibly develop its natural resources.”

Members of the state’s congressional delegation, in a statement released by the land management agency, lauded the day as momentous. Gov. Mike Dunleavy, on Twitter, called the lease sale “historic for Alaska and tremendous for America.”

“Alaskans have waited two generations for this moment; I stand with them in support of this day,” he said.

Kate MacGregor, a deputy Interior Department secretary, said the sale marked, in part, the Trump administration’s commitment to working “to fulfill the goal of U.S. energy security for decades to come.”

“And when it comes to Arctic national security, today’s sale will further demonstrate the United States will have a long-term economic presence,” she added.

It was not clear heading into the sale what level of interest there would be among companies. A number of banks had announced plans to stop lending to projects in the Arctic, and President-elect Joe Biden has expressed opposition to drilling in the refuge.

While U.S. District Court Judge Sharon Gleason on Tuesday refused to halt the sale, she has yet to rule on underlying lawsuits challenging the adequacy of the environmental review process undertaken by the federal government.

Chad Padgett, the U.S. Bureau of Land Management’s Alaska state director, defended the review process Wednesday as rigorous and disputed critics’ claims that the sale had been rushed. He called the sale a success.

The land management agency has said under an “optimistic, aggressive hypothetical scenario” exploration could begin within two years after a lease sale, with production eight years after a sale.

Kara Moriarty, president and CEO of the Alaska Oil and Gas Association, said while the sale’s results “may not have been as robust as we might have expected, industry still supports future access to this area.”

“Today’s sale reflects the brutal economic realities the oil and gas industry continues to face after the unprecedented events of 2020, coupled with ongoing regulatory uncertainty,” she said in a statement.

Adam Kolton, executive director of Alaska Wilderness League, called the sale “a huge embarrassment” for Alaska’s congressional delegation, which supported the decades-long push to open the coastal plain to drilling, and to President Donald Trump’s administration.

“Essentially, the Trump administration had a party, hoped the oil industry would show up, and it didn’t,” he said. Kolton called the sale the “death knell for anybody who’s arguing that this is going to be an oil, jobs and revenue bonanza. I mean, they’ve just been unmasked.”
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Deuce wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:08 am In related news, president Trump and twenty-one other 13 year old children with a history of inappropriate behaviour were suspended from twitter, facebook and instagram. In a rare instance of performing a correct action, Mark Zuckerberg stated that the latter two suspensions are for an indefinite period.
:notworthy:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:13 am
ti-amie wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:06 am Max Burns @themaxburns
Give me a damn break with this chick. I'm so sure Betsy's clutching her pearls at all that's gone on in the last 48 hours. Is she resigning from her family too? Peal back all the layers and people are pretty damn suspicious about Erik Prince's handprints being all over this failed coup attempt. She should've never been in this position so it's not like it's any great loss, but miss me with this ish.
Two more weeks, there are no more deals to broker and no more money to make. So leave now and avoid having to talk to the incoming team, who will find out you knew nothing about the job you were supposed to do.
Your post = 100% correct.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

MJ2004 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:14 pm So this happened. I guess it's supposed to be a good thing the oil companies didn't bid? Except as far as I see it, the land can still now be developed by the state. So, not a win at all?

US holds first oil lease sale for Alaska’s Arctic refuge

“Essentially, the Trump administration had a party, hoped the oil industry would show up, and it didn’t,” he said. Kolton called the sale the “death knell for anybody who’s arguing that this is going to be an oil, jobs and revenue bonanza. I mean, they’ve just been unmasked.”
If I may.
My dear evil masters did not show up because, right now, there is no need to develop that field or any field in the world, for that matter. Do not assume, for a second, that if there were any sort of real chance to make some profits, Shell/Exxon/BP/Total et al would have not showed up. They would have been there in a second.
For the next few years, exploration and development of NEW fields will be put on hold. We will be doing MAINTENANCE exploration (we call it 4D) just to see how the reservoirs are behaving. It will mean the death of many companies, and the final migration from the industry for many people (I hope I will be able to also leave).
Tiny's administration was stupid (like always) in believing that this would be a good moment for this. But do not assume that Big Oil did not show up for some moral reason. We simply have none (morals; reasons we do).