Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
TAT2.0 United States of America

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by TAT2.0 »

PRESS RELEASE

7 January 2021

Provisional suspension imposed on Dayana Yastremska

Dayana Yastremska has been provisionally suspended under Article 8.3.1(c) of the 2020 Tennis Anti-Doping Programme (the "Programme"), pending determination of the charge against her at a full hearing pursuant to Article 8 of the Programme.

Ms. Yastremska, a 20-year-old player from Ukraine, provided an Out-of-Competition urine sample on 24 November 2020. That sample was sent to the World Anti-Doping Agency (“WADA”) accredited laboratory in Montreal, Canada for analysis, and was found to contain mesterolone metabolite. Mesterolone is a Non-Specified substance, which is prohibited under category S1 of the 2020 WADA Prohibited List (Anabolic Agents), and therefore is also prohibited under the Programme. Positive tests for Non-Specified Substances carry a mandatory Provisional Suspension.

On 22 December 2020, Ms. Yastremska was charged with an Anti-Doping Rule Violation under Article 2.1 of the Programme (presence of a Prohibited Substance in a Player’s Sample) and was Provisionally Suspended with effect from 7 January 2021. Ms. Yastremska had (and retains) the right to apply to the Chair of the Independent Tribunal convened to hear her case why the Provisional Suspension should not be imposed, but has chosen not to exercise that right to date.

Note to Editors:

The Tennis Anti-Doping Programme applies to all players competing at Grand Slam tournaments and events sanctioned by the ITF, ATP and WTA. Players are tested for substances prohibited by the World Anti-Doping Agency and, upon finding that an Anti-Doping Rule Violation has been committed, sanctions are imposed under the Programme in compliance with the requirements of the World Anti-Doping Code. More information on the Programme, sanctions, statistics, and related matters can be found at itftennis.com/antidoping
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Mesterolone
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not to be confused with Mestanolone.

Mesterolone, sold under the brand name Proviron among others, is an androgen and anabolic steroid (AAS) medication which is used mainly in the treatment of low testosterone levels.[1][2] It has also been used to treat male infertility, although this use is controversial.[1][3][4] It is taken by mouth.[1]

Side effects of mesterolone include symptoms of masculinization like acne, increased hair growth, voice changes, and increased sexual desire.[1] It has no risk of liver damage.[1][2] The drug is a synthetic androgen and anabolic steroid and hence is an agonist of the androgen receptor (AR), the biological target of androgens like testosterone and dihydrotestosterone (DHT).[1][5] It has weak androgenic effects and weak anabolic effects, which make it useful for producing masculinization.[1] The drug has no estrogenic effects.[1][2]

Mesterolone was first described by 1966[6] and introduced for medical use by 1967.[7][8] In addition to its medical use, mesterolone has been used to improve physique and performance, although it is not commonly used for such purposes due to its weak anabolic effects.[1] The drug is a controlled substance in many countries and so non-medical use is generally illicit.[1][9]

Medical uses
Mesterolone is used in the treatment of androgen deficiency in male hypogonadism, anemia, and to support male fertility among other indications.[1][10][11] It has also been used to treat delayed puberty in boys.[12] Because it lacks estrogenic effects, mesterolone may be indicated for treating cases of androgen deficiency in which breast tenderness or gynecomastia is also present.[13] The drug is described as a relatively weak androgen with partial activity and is rarely used for the purpose of androgen replacement therapy, but is still widely used in medicine.[1][11][14][2]

Mesterolone is used in androgen replacement therapy at a dosage of 50 to 100 mg 2 to 3 times per day.[15]

Non-medical uses
Mesterolone has been used for physique- and performance-enhancing purposes by competitive athletes, bodybuilders, and powerlifters.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesterolone
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

The above twitter thing is misleading - Yastremska did not actually write everything that is in quotation marks.
In reading it, I initially believe that the entire quotation came from what Yastremska wrote - which is the obvious assumption when quotation marks are used. I believe many - likely most - people will assume the same.
But then I took the time to read what Yastremska ACTUALLY wrote, and it is rather different.
She did not write "cause it sucks. Hence I am innocent". This changes the context considerably.

People should be much more careful with how they write and with what they post.
(I am not at all a Yastremska fan - but I am very much a fan of fairness and am completely opposed to any use of manipulation or deceit in order to get one's 'point' across, or to further a particular agenda.)
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

She does say that it's the implication of what Yastremska said not what she said.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

WTA Tea @WTATea
The steroids that Yastremska tested positive for are pills that can be used by men who inject steroids as a “boost” to kickstart their steroid cycles. Bodybuilders use it to “cut” and gain lean muscle mass

October 20 - lost to Jen Brady in 1st round J&T Banka Ostrava Open
November 9 - lost to Mennin in 1st round LINZ

The steroid is out of the system in 5-6 weeks. She tested positive on Nov 24, 2020, so the steroid could have been taken anywhere from the end of September (after French Open where she lost in 1st round)
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:09 pm She does say that it's the implication of what Yastremska said not what she said.
It doesn't matter. Quotation marks should ONLY be used to directly quote exactly what a person has said or written. In the context and manner in which 'skihippy' did it, it looks like a direct quote. No-one has free licence to manipulate another person's words.

She should not have done that, and, as such, I don't think you should have posted it here, as I have little doubt that some people will believe that Yastremska wrote exactly what she is quoted as having written - and that's simply not fair.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Grammatically, what would you have used as opposed to quotes? After the two words IMPLICATION OF, what other grammatical tool would you have used?
And this forum, as its predecessor, are based on the premise that anybody can post anything, with the sole exceptions discussed in our rules. And our guidelines for respectful language.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Fine. I maintain that it should not have been written as it was by 'skihippy', and that it then should not have been posted here because of the very probable risk that it will be misinterpreted by more than a few due to the way it's written.

The sole purpose of quotation marks in the context of the expression of another person is to directly quote exactly what a person has said or written. This is how quotation marks are interpreted. Again - no-one has free licence to manipulate another person's words for any reason.

How would I have written it? Certainly not anywhere close to the manner in which it was written - because it is very deceiving.
Something along the lines of this...
My favourite part of this is that, by stating that she "has been informed that this substance is meant for use as medication by men and that women are advised not to use it due to the adverse effects it causes", she implies that she thinks that means she must therefore be inherently innocent.
And there are at least a dozen other better ways it could have been written - including without any quotation marks at all - which would get the same point across. It's not rocket science to know how to use quotation marks accurately, rather than to give the impression that the person in question actually said or wrote what he/she did not truly say or write.
R.I.P. Amal...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I'm watching the replay of Sabalenka vs Tomljanovic. Tomljanovic's bordering on Hantuchova territory. She is so thin.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Pictures?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:38 pmPictures?
I'll try. So far I haven't seen any.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Just look at her IG. No pictures from the match, but her last maybe 5 photos, you can see a difference than looking at photos from last year. The difference in her arms is where I see it the most, it's concerning.

https://www.instagram.com/ajlatom/
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

From the match: