World News Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Suliso Latvia

Re: World News Random, Random

Post by Suliso »

In this particular case it's more of a religious thing. In that sense different from Latin America
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The only reason why the demagogues in L. America do not play the religious card is because we are so homogenous. But, in the Colombian election that Antanas Mokus lost to J.M. Santos, the fact that Mokus was openly an atheist came into play. It may have swayed some votes, enough for Santos' victory.
You are correct: the Indian issue revolves around religious groups. Which is why it is so pernicious. But I still find myself convinced that the lack of education of these disastrous democracies is the reason why they are so susceptible to the call of the demagogue: he finds an absurd cause, and from then on, it is downhill all the way.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:21 pm The Achilles' heel of democracies in under-educated countries: how do you avoid the rise of the populist? The vicious circle: people are uneducated so they fall for the lies of the man (because it is always a man) that will not do anything to lift them from their lack of education.
Other than that: what all of you guys say.
I'm not sure anymore under-education is really the main issue, at least in the relative sense. Countries in Central and Eastern Europe (Poland, Hungary, Slovakia) that've recently fallen for right-wing populism have some of the highest levels of education. The rural/older population might still have limited political education but, in relative terms, they're well ahead of the global average. Yes, maybe they wouldn't have fallen for a Duterte or a Trump or a Modi, but give them the same in a well-tailored suit and with better vocabulary, and it's enough.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Meanwhile, in a God-forsaken Latin American country with a long history of violence.
Colombia's proposed Tax Reform went the usual way: more taxes for the middle class and an elimination breaks from taxation on basic products, especially food items in what is called "the basic needs" basket. For a week now, the country has been facing demonstrations that have become violent. Since the president's own house is just two blocks from where I live, some of the marches have been right across from my place; it had been over a decade since I last smelled tear gas. Of course, all for nothing because he is at the OFFICIAL presidential residence now, although his family uses his apartment because he wanted his daughters to remain in the same school (it would be too long a drive).
The gist of the movement is the same as always: money. The official unemployment figure is 16% and no one believes that. So, as the taxes proposed were all aimed at the poor and the middle class, who have been the most affected by the C19 crisis (of course), the feeling in the street is one of social justice: Colombia is really bad at generating decent employment and with the C19 crisis, the entire service sector has been hit severely.
This will guarantee, almost, that in the '22 election the youth will vote for Gustavo Petro, a radical-left former guerrilla that promises the same as always: revenge on the upper class. The young did not live through the period of Colombian history when this man committed his crimes, so those will not come into consideration when the vote comes.
On the one hand, the protesters are right: new taxes when in Colombia Senators have a $10,000/month salary are unfair, specially in view of the rampant corruption that drains a considerable portion of the budget, and which the current administration has done nothing to stop. On the other, smashing private property in the cities never leads to anything. So this will be the start of the leftist cycle in Colombia, which has never elected a leftist government.
Like Dropshot told us (me) once: migrating within Latin America is nothing more than changing cabins in the Titanic.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Well now we know where you live, Ponchi, losing internet anonymity by the post ;)

Yeah, I don't particularly understand why the government thought this would be a good time to bring austerity reforms that affect the basic necessities. Especially after what's just happened in Chile. At least try to vaccinate people first. They're shooting themselves in the foot here. The only thought it that it's probably better now than closer to the election.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

mmmm8 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:11 pm Well now we know where you live, Ponchi, losing internet anonymity by the post ;)

But I had Colombia as my residency in the past. Oh, you mean you can now LOCATE me? ;)

It is terribly stupid to do a reform right now, but it was the entire tax package. Higher VAT for almost all purchases, dropping the threshold for taxation from 3 Minimum Wages down to 2 (meaning, people making around $300/month), taking elements in the production of, for example, eggs and other essentials out of the tax exemptions (so those prices would increase) while, as I said before, not a single tax for industry or the wealthy.
It is not learning from what happened in Chile, this is a total Marie Antoinette moment (and I know she did not say the "let them eat cake" thing). It is a total disconnect with what is happening in the streets.
On top of that, the GOVT is very slow with vaccination but they are sourcing Chinese (Sinovac) vaccines. So what they are going to end up with is a population which will be, at best, 50% protected. So there is no way we can achieve herd immunity. So what are they are talking about? How they need to make sure that Colombian foreign debt bonds are propped, because they are all the way down to BBB-.
They simply are not getting it.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Enormous gap between the rich and the poor is the great scourge in almost every South American country. Not that there is a place with no large gap, but there it's worse than elsewhere. Leads to perpetual political instability and economic boom and bust cycles (or just bust).
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Indeed. For a while in Venezuela, people got in the habit of, when you asked them "How are things?", they would reply: "Everything is fine. It is just badly spread"
It loses a bit in the translation, but the gist is there. It is the perennial recipe for our combustible societies.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:31 pm
mmmm8 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:11 pm Well now we know where you live, Ponchi, losing internet anonymity by the post ;)

But I had Colombia as my residency in the past. Oh, you mean you can now LOCATE me? ;)

I bet I could find you here some days, looking on (doesn't look like court quality would be high enough for you to play):
https://goo.gl/maps/C3s68wsyMAAF1nLC6

And will guess that you play here:
https://goo.gl/maps/BeSuowUVhV3UguAt7

When I went to Bogota, I got very lost in a mall near there, so there's that, so chances are good I can locate you but not actually find you. :D

(Sorry to digress from a real and serious topic)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I am impressed by your detective skills... but not impressed by your logician's mind :P
I can't afford the Bogota Country Club. Membership there is about $250,000, plus of course monthly fees. It is the place where Bogota's society mingles. I have never even been there.
The other little court is close to my house but I actually did not know it was there. It is not where I play. I play here:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Acade ... -74.059148
The owner is an old Ex Davis cup Colombian, good for some good stories about Laver, Rosewall and Ashe. He played against them and worked for Ashe for several years, in Florida. Courts are decent, they have an OK gym where I train, with an instructor that has become a good friend. He is an Argie so we have a lot to talk about.
If you come over, I won't even give you my address. I will let you find it ;)
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

You say logician's mind, I say lazy person's mind - I went by distance! There are 6(!) tennis clubs/academies in the close area to where you play! Some sort of tennis oasis.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Oh joy :roll:
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I'm safe, but most of you are not. :twisted:

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »