TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Our main board to talk about our sport
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random 2.0

Post by meganfernandez »

mmmm8 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:10 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:51 pm For me, it's getting to the point where I blame some people for catching it. My first thought about Murray wasn't "hope he's okay" but "wtf did you do to catch it?" He has all the means to take every precaution.
I give a little more leeway to people with kids like Murray. They seem to be pushed into situations in this where they might interact with people more than they wish.
This is true. But aren't they like super young, like not old enough to be missing friends and going to school? Also, money doesn't shield from the pressure to hang out with family or friends. That's real. But that's where I thought his intelligence would come in. Figured he'd be making good decisions regularly. You can be with a few people safely.

Post by meganfernandez »

Liamvalid wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:41 pm Would like to wish my favourite player ever Mary Pierce a happy 46th birthday!
She was on a podcast with Rennae Stubbs recently. Did you listen do it? Pierce's Slam finals 11 years apart is a great accomplishment.
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:23 pm
Liamvalid wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:41 pm Would like to wish my favourite player ever Mary Pierce a happy 46th birthday!
She was on a podcast with Rennae Stubbs recently. Did you listen do it? Pierce's Slam finals 11 years apart is a great accomplishment.
Thanks Megan I will search for that. Although she had a great career, I still think she could have won a couple more slams with her game (especially earlier in her career). I feel that, like Lindsay, she was capable of being in the 6-7 slams level, but obviously injuries and her dad put paid to some of it
Mary, queen of shots

Post by meganfernandez »

Liamvalid wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:31 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:23 pm
Thanks Megan I will search for that. Although she had a great career, I still think she could have won a couple more slams with her game (especially earlier in her career). I feel that, like Lindsay, she was capable of being in the 6-7 slams level, but obviously injuries and her dad put paid to some of it
This must be the podcast, although it's from March. I thought it was brand new. https://play.acast.com/s/racquet/marypierce

Yeah, she was one of the physically strongest players and a fantastic athlete. Circumstances have a lot to do with it.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:21 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:51 pm For me, it's getting to the point where I blame some people for catching it. My first thought about Murray wasn't "hope he's okay" but "wtf did you do to catch it?" He has all the means to take every precaution.
I give a little more leeway to people with kids like Murray. They seem to be pushed into situations in this where they might interact with people more than they wish.
This is true. But aren't they like super young, like not old enough to be missing friends and going to school? Also, money doesn't shield from the pressure to hang out with family or friends. That's real. But that's where I thought his intelligence would come in. Figured he'd be making good decisions regularly. You can be with a few people safely.
The oldest daughter is about to turn five! I just meant with small kids there are more people who help (as noted - household/nanny help, maybe some sort of tutors), more stuff you need like groceries, diapers etc. that can't always be predicted and ordered ahead, more doctors visits, et al.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Giorgi

Post by meganfernandez »

mmmm8 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:46 am
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:21 pm

The oldest daughter is about to turn five! I just meant with small kids there are more people who help (as noted - household/nanny help, maybe some sort of tutors), more stuff you need like groceries, diapers etc. that can't always be predicted and ordered ahead, more doctors visits, et al.
Ah, okay - I thought you meant their own little lives, outside the home. :) Like friends, school, activities. I have a lot of sympathy for parents of teens, especially, during this time. Like my friend's daughter's club volleyball leagues have been playing for a while. These arenas are superspreaders. So many games going on at once, parents on the sidelines. My friend doesn't want her daughter to play, but there would be real consequences from holding her out, too. It's a big dilemma. I was thinking those kind of things. And school, of course.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

That's the best picture of Giorgi I've ever seen.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:19 pm That's the best picture of Giorgi I've ever seen.
Me too, that's why I posted it. Doesn't look obviously photo shopped.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

She doesn't need photoshop. A little bit of make up and she photographs like that.
If she could be consistently making runs into the 2nd week of Slams, she would have a $5 MM portfolio in endorsements. At a minimum.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

And she only looks disinterested, not pouty or angry!
:steven:
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

In that photo, to me, she looks like a mannequin, or an anime character. She's pretty and all, but she just doesn't look real - she looks plastic... too perfect.

Of course, I'm a guy who prefers women without make-up and wearing a t-shirt and jeans, so that's where this perspective is coming from...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Sloane shared late last week that she lost both her aunt and her grandmother to covid. Her aunt passed right after Christmas, her grandmother about a week ago. Today she shared that her grandfather passed away a few days ago, a week after her grandmother. Not from covid, sounds like a broken heart. That's a lot of loss to deal with.

Post by meganfernandez »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:37 am Sloane shared late last week that she lost both her aunt and her grandmother to covid. Her aunt passed right after Christmas, her grandmother about a week ago. Today she shared that her grandfather passed away a few days ago, a week after her grandmother. Not from covid, sounds like a broken heart. That's a lot of loss to deal with.
Crushing. It appears they were close.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:08 pm Crushing. It appears they were close.
Yes. Close to all of them. You might remember seeing her aunt at some of her matches, especially earlier on. And her grandparents are the reason she kept going to school to get her degree, a promise she made to them. Rough time for sure.