Sports Random, Random

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
JazzNU United States of America

Re: Sports Random, Random

Post by JazzNU »

That's a lot to unpack. I don't believe this was in place for the NHL, so the MLS doing it is interesting. But the MLS don't have much to worry about in setting the team setting that rule either, their league is almost 100% vaccinated. But MLB on the other hand, their numbers are high, much higher than the NFL for instance, but not close enough to 100% where it wouldn't cause problems. And that WTA figure is super low. I feel like there was a "most tennis players are vaccinated" throw out pre-RG and I gave that statement a side eye at the time and clearly that wasn't the worst reaction if this is anywhere near accurate.

One of the more interesting things I've seen in recent weeks is that as Canada continues to be strict about protocols, outside of the Montreal Canadiens arena, it looked like the Italian Soccer Team's welcome home when they avoided the shutout in the Stanley Cup Finals. So they are definitely picking and choosing what they consider to be okay. It is definitely possible that a one-time tennis tournament will get the go ahead with unvaccinated players when repeated MLS games wouldn't.

This also looms large for the NBA too. There has been no confirmation that the Raptors will return to playing games in Toronto and maybe this is part of the reason why that hasn't been announced.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

For the former 'Rogers Cup' (whatever they're calling it now)... my linespeople friends tell me that they will be using 'Hawkeye Live', to reduce the number of people on-site. Each chair umpire will be assigned an assistant for each match - some of the more experienced linespeople (like those who have their white umpiring badge) will act as the assistants. But they will also have to have several linespeople on site in case of a power failure, which disables 'Hawkeye Live', of course.
They are also giving a certain degree of priority to local assistants and linespeople who live alone, and who'll be traveling between the tournament and home alone.

Another thing to consider is that some of the players will be coming to Canada directly from the Olympics, where they could potentially contract the virus.

I'm also hearing that there will be a limited number of tickets sold for the tournament - something like half of capacity. But I can't confirm that. I don't think it has been officially announced yet - which is a little odd, as the tournament is less than a month away.

As for the other stuff... The crowd gatherings outside of the Montreal Canadiens Arena were condemned by Public Health - so it wasn't something that was officially permitted. It was tolerated by police simply because cracking down on it would have created huge problems, as there were thousands of people there. In the later games as the series went on, other outdoor public viewing sites were created around the city, in the hopes of alleviating the number of people outside of the arena.

The Canadian NHL teams played the entire regular season against other Canadian teams only - to avoid U.S. based teams coming to Canada, and also Canadian teams going to the U.S. - because that was restricted. This restriction was waved for the Semi-Final (Montreal vs. Las Vegas), and the Final (Montreal vs. Tampa Bay).
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

I'm taking a pass on seeing the Men this year, but I look forward to seeing live tennis in Toronto again come Aug 2022 :)
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Who'd a thunk it?

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Tiny must be in conniptions in Mar-A-Lago.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:09 pm Tiny must be in conniptions in Mar-A-Lago.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

dmforever

Post by dmforever »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:58 pm

I'm sorry but I just can't contain myself. The men who made and are enforcing these rules are just gross. I get that maybe they didn't get it when they made the rules, but now that someone has pointed out just how sexist and misogynist this rule is, they have just doubled down. It makes me sick to my stomach. :(

Kevin

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Let's get those men in Speedo's

Post by JazzNU »

So IMO, it's worse than that side by side comparison, though that's really bad. I think their position is especially understandable when you consider their "outfits" from the back. That's a lot of ass cheek on display and if someone says they aren't comfortable with it, I don't know why anyone with a single brain cell would have trouble understanding that objection.

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Of course it's wrong...
But what is even more wrong is people strongly objecting to this, then going out and buying the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issues, etc.
Does anyone honestly believe that if a woman wanted to wear a not very revealing getup in the Swimsuit issue, that it would be approved? Does anyone honestly believe that the Swimsuit issue doesn't objectify women?

There has been an incredible amount of blatant hypocrisy on this subject for a long time.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

The center of the Venn diagram of people both (rightfully) objecting to this (loudly) and buying the swimsuit issue is likely a small sliver.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

We've talked about this before, but in light of this, I thought I'd bring it up again.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/19/spor ... Position=4

We now have active NHL and NFL players who are out. When will a male ATP player come out?

There can't be much more traditionally macho groups than the NFL and NHL, and yet, the organizations and most players have been extremely supportive (or at least they have been to the media). You just have to wonder what's going on in men's tennis.

Sure, tennis players might lose contracts, but so could the NHL and NFL players. And yes, these players play in North America, while ATP players plan in countries where being LGBTQ+ is more stigmatized and/or criminally penalized, but the WTA players mostly play in these countries as well and there are numerous out WTA players.

Kevin
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I would only say that an Eastern European, Latin American or African player would perhaps face serious consequences back home.
But that is tangential. Your point is valid.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem