World News Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Suliso Latvia

Re: World News Random, Random

Post by Suliso »

Togtdyalttai wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:50 pm If I were her, I would have chosen Lithuania over a country which is sliding towards authoritarianism itself. But maybe she has a connection there.
Both countries are strongly anti Lukashenko and have sizeable Belarussian expat communities.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Togtdyalttai wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:50 pm If I were her, I would have chosen Lithuania over a country which is sliding towards authoritarianism itself. But maybe she has a connection there.
I had the same thought, althought Suliso is right that they're strongly against the regime in Belarus, I wouldn't choose Poland if I had issues with authoritarianism. She had offers of asylum from Poland and Czech Republic, apparently.

Poland may have better training facilities for her sport, though.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Apparently her defection was the last minute decision. She had no plans whatsoever not returning from Japan before a public argument with team officials.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Colombian soldiers had real training for over 40 years, fighting a real war in very tough conditions. So they are not theoretical soldiers, they know their real deal.
And, BTW. The US DID NOT back the war. The US sided with the government and helped it fight the guerrillas that wanted to turn the country into a leftist regime. It is not so simple, just to say that the USA backed the war. They backed the government which, and that is clear, has been very close to America.
Again, not so simple and not so fast.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Situation is changing quickly. Kunduz city in the Northeast shown to be government controlled has already fallen and I think Herat and Kandahar are in a danger of falling too within a week. Both are completely surrounded with no real way of being reinforced except by air.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The power of religious believe, which is not the same as religion. The USSR invaded Afghanistan, and left years later, humiliated. The USA invaded Afghanistan, and now leaves, perhaps leaving the country worse than it was found, mission not accomplished. The Taliban remains undefeated.
My only wish would be: have a plan to save the women and children, who will be brutalized (the first) and indoctrinated into a new generation (the second) by Al Qaeda. Set up a system in the next couple of months in which any woman requesting asylum will get it, automatically.
What a sad story.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Majority of women are ultra religious as well. Anyway once they take over completely, maybe in 2-3 decades things start relaxing again. I'm going by Iranian example.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:29 pm Majority of women are ultra religious as well. Anyway once they take over completely, maybe in 2-3 decades things start relaxing again. I'm going by Iranian example.
Sure. But within the younger ones there might be some women that have been exposed to new ideas that will see the reality in which they will live soon.
Give them some help.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Kandahar and Herat, the second and third largest cities in Afghanistan, have just fallen to Taliban. All the government is left with is Kabul as well as the Mazar-i-Sharif (4th largest city) in the north. It's difficult to see them holding on much longer.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I'm old enough to remember when the US first talked about getting involved in Afghanistan that there were those who said that the people who live there will never let outsiders control them. The MSM et al pushed those voices to the side. And here we are, faced with the same situation we found going in there all those years ago. How many lives ruined and people killed and for what?
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:00 pm I'm old enough to remember when the US first talked about getting involved in Afghanistan that there were those who said that the people who live there will never let outsiders control them. The MSM et al pushed those voices to the side. And here we are, faced with the same situation we found going in there all those years ago. How many lives ruined and people killed and for what?
That's somewhat biased. There was already a civil war there before US arrived, Taliban have never controlled 100% of the country. You can control them to some extent and you did for 20 years, but of course you can't just leave if you wish to continue to control.