C19 and Tennis

Our main board to talk about our sport
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: C19 and Tennis

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:48 pm And Andy is not the "casually stupid" type. He has proven that through his career. Maybe he is over the threshold.
It's common sense - don't go to a coffee shop right now, especially in a place where cases are high, unless you seriously have to. Is that so hard? I don't care if you're pretty sure you're immune and pretty sure you aren't going to pass it along. He doesn't know for sure he's not still contagious. Why even take any tiny chance, especially since the biggest risk isn't to you at that point, it's to others? It's mind-numbingly cavalier. Which is why I don't believe he's acting any differently than he did before he caught Covid.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I'm surprised Murray would do this.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:25 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:48 pm And Andy is not the "casually stupid" type. He has proven that through his career. Maybe he is over the threshold.
It's common sense - don't go to a coffee shop right now, especially in a place where cases are high, unless you seriously have to. Is that so hard? I don't care if you're pretty sure you're immune and pretty sure you aren't going to pass it along. He doesn't know for sure he's not still contagious. Why even take any tiny chance, especially since the biggest risk isn't to you at that point, it's to others? It's mind-numbingly cavalier. Which is why I don't believe he's acting any differently than he did before he caught Covid.
Unless you've seen something else, doesn't seem like he's making an assumption on his own. Like his mom said something to the effect of, he's been out as of today and can start practicing again. I'm not thinking this is reckless the what you are.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Biden administration has announced that they are going to introduce a quarantine for travelers entering the US. No details, or timeline at this point, but I wonder what impact this might have on Indian Wells & Miami & other tournaments in the US in February, March, & April if players have to do another quarantine when they leave Australia.

Post by JazzNU »

One tournament was recently canceled, the one in Texas, can't remember the name, but a clay court one for the men. New York was previously cancelled. IW isn't happening anytime soon. So only Miami and Charleston would be an issue. There is sometimes an exemption for athletes and others, but it almost always comes with some sort of testing regime that needs to be pre-approved. Guess we'll see. It's a freaking mess here, they've been covering how much of a mess it is we're finding out today, so getting tennis played definitely isn't top of the list. It may not happen. Maybe skip straight to the European clay if things are okay there.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

skatingfan wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:10 am Biden administration has announced that they are going to introduce a quarantine for travelers entering the US. No details, or timeline at this point, but I wonder what impact this might have on Indian Wells & Miami & other tournaments in the US in February, March, & April if players have to do another quarantine when they leave Australia.
My plan to go to Colorado next week was shot down today because of that announcement. You would be forced to quarantine at the port of entry. Seeing as there are so few flights nowadays in the USA, you could not, for example, enter via Florida and then connect next day (my plan). You would need to stay 14 days there.
As you say, Miami and IW are looking at some really impossible logistics.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JazzNU »

I think quarantine is 7 days, not 14 for travel reasons. Doesn't take effect until early next week. I think they said Tuesday.

Post by JazzNU »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

So Badosa tested positive on Day 7 of her quarantine therefore she would've been caught under these guidelines if I understand correctly?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It seems yes. 7 days quarantine and THEN you get your second PCR.
Let's get honest, world. All national borders should be locked down. We are heading there again.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

After reading about what is happening in Denmark and dry's post on the global outlook it's hard to imagine anything but total shutdown is coming again.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Wait a minute... Weren't we all told that things will get significantly better once the vaccines arrive?
Well, the vaccines arrived in several locations a month ago... and things are not getting better. In many places, things are actually getting worse.
Optimism is nice and pretty and comfortable... But realism is the most efficient way to solve problems.
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:51 pm It seems yes. 7 days quarantine and THEN you get your second PCR.
Let's get honest, world. All national borders should be locked down.
^ Except for professional athletes, of course. They should be permitted to travel anywhere they want on the planet - both to perform in their given sport, and to vacation. Because they're 'special'.
Sigh.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:51 pm It seems yes. 7 days quarantine and THEN you get your second PCR.
Let's get honest, world. All national borders should be locked down. We are heading there again.
Probably, but there will always be exceptions for commuters and freight. So will it really make any difference with a more virulent strain of the virus?

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:05 pm After reading about what is happening in Denmark and dry's post on the global outlook it's hard to imagine anything but total shutdown is coming again.
I guess I need to read about Denmark.

As for things getting better once the vaccine is here. At least here, the medical professionals never said that. The administration trying to downplay hundreds of thousands of deaths did. But the medical and public health professionals were always very clear that it would be several months after the vaccines arrived before things started to get better and a bit longer than that before we got back to a degree of normalcy.

Post by JazzNU »

This is only half of the article, the part relating to the new tournament. The rest of the article is more of a catchup on other things like Dayana, Andy Murray, and Sousa missing the AO. Follow the link if you want to read the entire thing.

Extra WTA tournament for lockdown players

An extra women's tennis tournament catering for players serving 14-day hard lockdowns in Melbourne will be added to the calendar ahead of next month's Australian Open.

It means six tournaments will be staged simultaneously early next month ahead of the Open, which is due to begin on February 8.

There will now be three WTA 500 events with the two originally planned to run from Sunday, January 31 to Saturday, February 6 now having slightly reduced draw sizes.

The new tournament will be staged from February 3 until February 7 and will cater for players who have not been able to train.

Two ATP tournaments will be pushed back 24 hours to start on Monday, February 1 and the ATP Cup will get underway a day later.

A total of 72 players remain in hard lockdown after three chartered flights to the Australian Open returned positive COVID-19 case.

They include former Australian Open champions Victoria Azarenka and Angelique Kerber as well as 2019 US Open winner Bianca Andreescu.

Unable to leave their rooms to train, the new tournament is an olive branch to athletes given the disadvantages they faced in the build up to a two-week grand slam event.

"This has been a particularly challenging time for the athletes in hard lockdown and we, along with the WTA and ATP, aim to do everything we can to help," Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley said.

"These changes to the lead-in events have been made to give the 72 players a little bit of extra time to help them prepare. We also will prioritise them for things like practice sessions, gym and ice baths."

NEW AUSTRALIAN OPEN LEAD-IN SCHEDULE

* WTA 500 Gippsland Trophy - January 31-February 6

* WTA 500 Yarra Valley Classic - January 31-February 6

* ATP 250 Great Ocean Road Open - February 1-7

* ATP 250 Murray River Open - February 1-7

* ATP CUP - February 2-6

* WTA 500 Grampians Trophy - February 3-7

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/ ... wn-players