C19 and Tennis

Our main board to talk about our sport
Togtdyalttai United States of America

Re: C19 and Tennis

Post by Togtdyalttai »

Do we know if all of these tournaments are happening at Melbourne Park, or are some happening elsewhere in the city?
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

New Australian Schedule To Help Players In Lockdown

ATP Cup and Melbourne ATP 250 events pushed back by one day

The Australian Open lead-in week has been revamped to help give the 72 players in the 14-day quarantine lockdown the best possible preparation and training opportunities.

Following extensive consultation between the players and the Tours, Tennis Australia has designed a new schedule, taking into account the limited time many players have had to prepare.

The Murray River Open, the Great Ocean Road Open and the ATP Cup will be pushed back by 24 hours. The two ATP 250 events will commence on Monday 1 February, each featuring an increased singles main draw size of 56, while the ATP Cup will start on Tuesday 2 February.

“This has been a particularly challenging time for the athletes in hard lockdown and we, along with the WTA and ATP, aim to do everything we can to help,” Australian Open Tournament Director Craig Tiley said.

“These changes to the lead-in events have been made to give the 72 players a little bit of extra time to help them prepare. We also will prioritise them for things like practice sessions, gym and ice baths.”

ATP Chairman Andrea Gaudenzi also added, “Our number one goal with Tennis Australia and the WTA was to be as fair as possible to the players coming out of a hard quarantine.

“The extra 24 hours before the first ATP Tour events together with priority over practice and preparation will help. We are eager to start what I am sure will be a fantastic summer of tennis in Melbourne in front of our great Australian fans.”

There will now be three WTA 500 events - the two originally planned from Sunday 31 January to Saturday 6 February, with slightly reduced draw sizes. A third event, for those players who have been unable to train, will commence on Wednesday 3 and finish on Sunday 7 February.

“This revised schedule comprised of three WTA 500 events in the week leading into the upcoming Australian Open will allow for our athletes coming out of the respected quarantine period to properly focus on their preparation in a return to competition,” WTA CEO Steve Simon said.

“We appreciate the positive spirit of collaboration demonstrated by our friends at Tennis Australia and the ATP as these solutions were worked through in recent days. All of our players appreciate the opportunity to be here in Melbourne and look forward to getting on the court to compete and entertain the terrific fans that are here with some great tennis over the weeks ahead in what will be a very a safe and healthy environment.”

Tickets start from $20 for adults and just $5 for kids and will go on sale this week.

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/austral ... nuary-2021
Togtdyalttai United States of America

Post by Togtdyalttai »

JazzNU wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:16 am
New Australian Schedule To Help Players In Lockdown

ATP Cup and Melbourne ATP 250 events pushed back by one day

The Australian Open lead-in week has been revamped to help give the 72 players in the 14-day quarantine lockdown the best possible preparation and training opportunities.

Following extensive consultation between the players and the Tours, Tennis Australia has designed a new schedule, taking into account the limited time many players have had to prepare.

The Murray River Open, the Great Ocean Road Open and the ATP Cup will be pushed back by 24 hours. The two ATP 250 events will commence on Monday 1 February, each featuring an increased singles main draw size of 56, while the ATP Cup will start on Tuesday 2 February.

“This has been a particularly challenging time for the athletes in hard lockdown and we, along with the WTA and ATP, aim to do everything we can to help,” Australian Open Tournament Director Craig Tiley said.

“These changes to the lead-in events have been made to give the 72 players a little bit of extra time to help them prepare. We also will prioritise them for things like practice sessions, gym and ice baths.”

ATP Chairman Andrea Gaudenzi also added, “Our number one goal with Tennis Australia and the WTA was to be as fair as possible to the players coming out of a hard quarantine.

“The extra 24 hours before the first ATP Tour events together with priority over practice and preparation will help. We are eager to start what I am sure will be a fantastic summer of tennis in Melbourne in front of our great Australian fans.”

There will now be three WTA 500 events - the two originally planned from Sunday 31 January to Saturday 6 February, with slightly reduced draw sizes. A third event, for those players who have been unable to train, will commence on Wednesday 3 and finish on Sunday 7 February.

“This revised schedule comprised of three WTA 500 events in the week leading into the upcoming Australian Open will allow for our athletes coming out of the respected quarantine period to properly focus on their preparation in a return to competition,” WTA CEO Steve Simon said.

“We appreciate the positive spirit of collaboration demonstrated by our friends at Tennis Australia and the ATP as these solutions were worked through in recent days. All of our players appreciate the opportunity to be here in Melbourne and look forward to getting on the court to compete and entertain the terrific fans that are here with some great tennis over the weeks ahead in what will be a very a safe and healthy environment.”

Tickets start from $20 for adults and just $5 for kids and will go on sale this week.

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/austral ... nuary-2021
Togtdyalttai wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:14 am Do we know if all of these tournaments are happening at Melbourne Park, or are some happening elsewhere in the city?
Never mind then.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

How do you stage the WTA/250 on the second week of the AO, at the same venue?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JazzNU »

That's not a big deal actually. Second week of a slam uses substantially fewer courts. Juniors has already been moved to later in the year, and that operates like a small tournament taking place at the same venue, so plenty of courts open to host the separate event during the second week.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

So basically... consolation bracket :D

Post by JazzNU »

Well sure, I think the description of the tournament included something like "to give players that lose early at the AO a chance to practice and play."

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think in the same way players had to come to Australia on specific charter flights, they might need to leave that way too. So likely a nice inclusion recognizing that those players losing early that tend to leave soon after they are bounced, sometimes to get into the draw at a challenger, can't this time around.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

What a mess... :roll:
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

TBH I am totally confused about all of this.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:58 am TBH I am totally confused about all of this.
I think we can say that tennis will start being played in another week and the AO will start in about 2 weeks. Beyond that I think we're mostly guessing at the details. I'm not sure TA isn't guessing at some of the details.

Several things are different than I thought they'd be. Like I've got questions. But at this point I'm like whatever I guess. 🤷🏾‍♀️
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

The tennis calendar for 2021 is destined to be wacky. I'm with Jazz :thumbsup:

I just hope we enjoy the ride 8-) 8-) 8-)
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:33 am How do you stage the WTA/250 on the second week of the AO, at the same venue?
For those who aren't still in the AO main draw. I guess they'll have enough courts. Theres no Junior AO this year, so that freed up courts.

Schedule, simplified:
This Friday: Adelaide exhibition
Next week, various start dates: A (expletive)-ton. ATP Cup, 2 ATP tournaments, 3 WTA tournaments, all at Melbourne Park. Everyone's playing something.
Two weeks from now: AO week 1
Three weeks from now: AO week 2, WTA 250
Four weeks from now: Adelaide

Edit: My S expletive is censored! Haha!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I did that ;) The system has an automatic censoring mode, and all the variations of F, S, N, the other F get that treatment.
Gotta keep it suitable for the kids! ;)
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:05 pm I did that ;) The system has an automatic censoring mode, and all the variations of F, S, N, the other F get that treatment.
Gotta keep it suitable for the kids! ;)
We still get D and H, though?

Let's see... Damn it to hell!

Edit: Hell yeah! Hot damn!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Oh, sure. I want to keep it decent, not chaste. I am ambivalent about the P word, as it can also denote a CAT, if somebody wants to go there.