The new TAT2.0. And how it works (technical questions)

Explaining how the new forum works
dryrunguy

Re: The new TAT2.0. And how it works (technical questions)

Post by dryrunguy »

Thanks, Ponchi. I had noticed that. Hopefully I'm smart enough to use the feature.

Meanwhile, how do I post a picture from my hard drive? If I click on the photo icon above the post, it looks like I can only post from a URL?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: The new TAT2.0. Posting Images

Post by ponchi101 »

picture.jpg
1. Drag and drop in the compose area.
2. Then you have to place it INLINE.
3. Click the preview button and you will see your post, as it will go online, completely.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

@ponchi, do you have the ability to switch a thread from one section to another?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:59 am @ponchi, do you have the ability to switch a thread from one section to another?
I don't. But Tog, Ti, M8 and Drop do ;)
Sure, we can do it. We are discussing fusing some forums together, as this may be done to keep some topics together.
Any suggestions?

Post by JazzNU »

Not really, I'm finding most things easily at this point. I just wondered and thought I'd let @dry know he could get Horse Racing moved to Sports if he wanted if it was possible

Post by JazzNU »

I've seen multiple people mention a "disappearing post" and while I have no idea what that means since it hasn't happened to me, I thought I'd mention a common practice I've used on forums for ages that might help at least somewhat. If TAT was the only forum you were on, you were spoiled with the system saving the post as you wrote it and if something happened, you'd lose very little when you went to post again. Well, that happens almost nowhere else in my experience.

So, I copy the text of my post prior to posting it. If there's an error in posting it, either on my end or with the server, no harm no foul. I haven't lost what I wrote and it only took a second to copy it and I can return to thread and post it again. If it's an extended problem with a site I'm on, I'll copy it to Notepad and save it to post later. Either way, I don't have to write whatever thought all over again and it only took seconds to do it.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

This is a disappearing post!
(And a reappearing post, as well...)

I posted this a few weeks ago, but will post it again, as it will solve the problem of losing what you've typed...
It saves everything you type into pretty much any text box - even saves the formatting.
I've used it for years - it's very reliable, never had a problem with it.

For chrome:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... bmab?hl=en

For Firefox:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-CA/firefo ... rea-cache/

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Thanks to both. If I may clarify:
This phpBB platform has a feature that, IF YOU ARE COMPOSING A POST, and another person POSTS WHILE YOU COMPOSE, when you click SUBMIT phpBB will inform you of the NEW POSTINGS and will inform you that maybe you want to see these new posts before clicking SUBMIT again, which will be when your post will actually be submitted.
phpBB is NOT losing posts. That was my original mistake; I thought that was what was happening. In reality, phpBB is/was ahead of me.
Deuce's add-ons will help, but being careful when you post and read the warning will also help. It keeps happening to me because I post, dash to a new topic, and did not realize that the new posts were being displayed and I did not make sure the post was submitted.
We have to be careful during the SP's, as for sure somebody will be posting in one pool, dash to the next while somebody was posting too, and someone's pick will not be listed.
Kirkus United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by Kirkus »

Ponchi, I wonder if that's a feature that can be disabled. At least during SPs. It sounds like it might cause more problems than it's worth.
Thank you, Ponchi.

Post by JazzNU »

I try to limit add-ons just because I already have ones that are necessary and I don't want to slow my computer down further. But I like that one a lot.

I don't personally consider that a disappearing post, and I like that feature in most contexts to see what's been posted since I've been writing. I'd think some clear note on the main page, in the SP section, and in all the SP threads in red to post your pick, and double check the thread to make sure it is there would take care of SP.

I always double checked the thread after I posted on original TAT when this wasn't a thing.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It can be done, and it can be done at forum level (I had not thought about it).
So we can disable it for the TENNIS CONTEST forum and keep it in others.
I actually like that feature. Please feedback: should it stay or should it go?
Should I start a poll?

And this is a reply to Kirkus because JazzNu posted WHILE I WAS WRITING THIS ONE and the system notified me :)
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

We never had it before and it never seemed to cause any issues really. Agreed that it may cause more issues during SP times so I'd vote for it to go if I was voting (not that it bothers me.)
:steven:
Kirkus United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by Kirkus »

I don't have an opinion either way, except on picks threads during SPs. I don't understand what it's used for, but that might be me being unknowledgeable.
Thank you, Ponchi.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It is not "used for" as much as it is a feature of phpBB. I remember that on several occasions, in TAT1.0, I would be composing a reply to somebody's post and then post it, only to find out that somebody else had posted a better reply or something that settled the issue.
Here, if while you compose somebody else posts, instead of having your post submitted automatically you get a message telling you that new posts have been added to the topic, and the system shows them to you. You go into PREVIEW mode. That gives you the chance to edit your post. But, if you assume that you did post and do not click SUBMIT again, your post is lost.
I believe I will do as you say. During the AO I will disable that function from the CONTESTS forum (it can be done at forum level). Otherwise, we will have a winner by day 3 after we trim the pool by 25% every day due to this feature (and 25% more due to our declining predictive faculties).
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Other than say Suicide Pool threads I don't remember it happening ...maybe ever? Although I do a lot of my posting late at night.
:steven: