National, Regional and Local News

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
JazzNU United States of America

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Post by JazzNU »

I had to double check if that account was run by Billy Corben, and I'm not entirely certain it's not. But yes, Francis Suarez is corrupt as all get out.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Well, when I made that "half joke" map of how the USA will split into separate countries, I did call Florida "Cubazuela".
Because, you know, IATA whose jokes become true so quickly they are not funny.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Jim Bob Duggar is running for the Arkansas State Senate (again).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertai ... 214056001/

Post by JazzNU »

dryrunguy wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:00 pm Jim Bob Duggar is running for the Arkansas State Senate (again).

Is Josh helping with the campaign or is he busy right now?
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:13 pm
dryrunguy wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:00 pm Jim Bob Duggar is running for the Arkansas State Senate (again).

Is Josh helping with the campaign or is he busy right now?
Josh will be overseeing outreach to the pedophile community. Hopefully from his prison cell.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I have yet to see a picture of this person where he doesn't look 12 and that is intentional I think.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:20 pm
I have yet to see a picture of this person where he doesn't look 12 and that is intentional I think.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

About time to do a radical thing. How about: NATIONAL TEACHERS STRIKE? One month. Let all these people care and educate their little monsters for one month. Like, right now. November. See how these parents feel when December rolls in.
The violence level is getting off the scale, in a country with way too many guns. Something can happen.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

At least eight people dead and dozens injured yesterday after a "crowd surge" at the ASTROWORLD Music Festival in Houston. Based on the video, it looks like a mix of garden variety trampling, without any hesitation or concern for those who were down, and Black Friday at any given Target. Several people suffered from cardiac arrest. Pretty disgusting stuff.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:07 pm About time to do a radical thing. How about: NATIONAL TEACHERS STRIKE? One month. Let all these people care and educate their little monsters for one month. Like, right now. November. See how these parents feel when December rolls in.
The violence level is getting off the scale, in a country with way too many guns. Something can happen.
There are three things happening re schools.

One is based on the belief/ideology that women should not work outside of the home, that their job is to take care of the home and have babies.

The other is the world where women work outside of the home and, because of the pandemic, have been working at home plus trying to care for children who were also at home.

The third group features women who have always worked outside of the home, many, but not all, in minimum wage jobs, and who are mostly ignored in the debates around education.

The first group relies a lot on home schooling using materials created by evangelical groups. The second group, mainly but not only suburban, live and pay the cost for great public schools and what they hope is a superior education for their children given by professionals based on facts that will advance them in the world.

You used to see a lot of Group 1 women on House Hunters but you don't see them so much anymore. Then again I avoid shows where people from certain parts of the country are featured so that could be why I don't see them.

A national teachers strike would affect the group 2 and 3 mothers and fathers. Group one parents would care less. The 1950's can't come back fast enough for them.

Post by JazzNU »

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Prices in USA are rising at the fastest rate in three decades: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-59236432

There were articles in serious magazines not so long ago that printing money on this scale doesn't really matter and stimulus could be as large as we wish. Obviously they were mistaken. Sometimes a common sense still points in the right direction...
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Yeah, I spent $41 yesterday on 3/4 of a tank of gas for the car. Hit the grocery today. That was depressing. I sure am glad that my deep freezer is chock full of nearly 1/2 of a beef I bought this spring and 3 lambs I raised that were processed this summer. Except I can't seem to create enough room in the deep freezer for 40 pounds of chicken breasts from the Mennonite store. I miss chicken, and buying it at the grocery is out of the question unless you're a fan of chicken thighs. I am not. Chicken drumsticks are still fairly affordable. Surprisingly, whole chickens aren't that expensive.

But definitely, it's bad enough paying for pork, fish, and shrimp at the grocery. For some, they won't have much choice but to eliminate beef and chicken breasts from their diet entirely. The prices are simply too exorbitant. Have been for a while now, and they just keep going up.

As for produce, I'll pay whatever I have to pay, but most produce prices have stayed fairly steady--at least around here.

Post by JazzNU »

dryrunguy wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:46 pm
As for produce, I'll pay whatever I have to pay, but most produce prices have stayed fairly steady--at least around here.
I think they might be rising most places. We aren't a good barometer for certain produce, milk and a few other things. So much that is produced nearby by some family farm, the Amish, or the Mennonite, that supply chain issues that seem to be occurring elsewhere aren't as big of an issue here on certain items.

But yeah, costs for many things are rising and you definitely notice it when you're shopping and paying at the register. And while I used to get gas occasionally at Costco, I'm getting it there religiously right now, about 20 cents cheaper than everywhere else.