C19 and Tennis

Our main board to talk about our sport
Deuce Canada

Re: C19 and Tennis

Post by Deuce »

I figure Djokovic probably feels that he is entitled to play the Aussie Open via a phony 'medical exemption' because he's won it so often, he's #1 in the world, he's going for Major #21, etc.

Don't be surprised if, at this time next year, he has set up a tournament/event to compete directly against the Aussie Open, and tries to 'steal' players away from Australia to play in his thing - simply as an act of retribution because they didn't give him what he feels he's entitled to.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:15 am . Dude’s not playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Things change fast!

Exemption granted
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Fastbackss wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:15 am . Dude’s not playing.

Things change fast!

Exemption granted
Got that one wrong. :) but he got lucky with the exemption.

Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

I'm curious who, in the medical field, reviews/approves/denies these exemptions. I'm also curious what is so different about this vaccine that would cause such an adverse reaction to Nole compared to the childhood vaccines he no doubt has gotten.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Owendonovan wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:14 pm I'm curious who, in the medical field, reviews/approves/denies these exemptions. I'm also curious what is so different about this vaccine that would cause such an adverse reaction to Nole compared to the childhood vaccines he no doubt has gotten.
You could probably find some names and backgrounds pretty easily, although that wouldn't tell you much about the credibility of the process. Maybe some journalists in Melbourne have investigated the legitimacy of the panels.

“Djokovic applied for a medical exemption which was granted following a rigorous review process involving two separate independent panels of medical experts,” the statement said. “One of those was the Independent Medical Exemption Review Panel appointed by the Victorian Department of Health. They assessed all applications to see if they met the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation guidelines.”

The best thing that has come out of this so far is the faces of the British ATP Cup players at a press conference when they talked about it. Jamie Murray basically called it BS. https://www.eurosport.com/tennis/i-woul ... ideo.shtml

For once, I'm looking forward to hearing what Kyrgios has to say.

I'm usually a benefit-of-the-doubt kind of person. But this reeks of BS.

Guarantee you Rothenberg is already looking for other players who got exemptions to see if Djokovic was the only one. Someone will - or should - do a story on this. It would help to be on the ground in Melbourne. This is an example of when journalism could suffer from reporting remotely. You can't approach someone in the cafeteria or courtside digitally (not talking about just players). In other ways, digital helps a lot.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:57 pm
Got that one wrong. :) but he got lucky with the exemption.

Don't think there's an ounce of luck involved in this.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:17 pm ...

Don't think there's an ounce of luck involved in this.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Post of the (early) year so far (I am sure you will best yourself).
Guidelines for medical exemptions in Australia (copying relevant parts from the link):
Conditions that warrant a temporary exemption for Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines include inflammatory cardiac illness within the past six months, for example:

myocarditis, pericarditis, endocarditis
acute rheumatic fever or acute rheumatic heart disease (ie with active myocardial inflammation)
acute decompensated heart failure.

Patients may also be eligible for a temporary exemption from all available vaccines if they have:

had SARS-CoV-2 infection confirmed with a PCR test, vaccination can be deferred for up to six months
experienced a serious adverse event attributed to a previous dose of a COVID-19 vaccine and without another cause identified.

Examples of serious adverse events include:

thrombosis with thrombocytopenia (TTS) following AstraZeneca
medically significant illness (eg immune thrombocytopenia purpura, myocarditis)
potentially life-threatening events (eg anaphylaxis)
persistent or significant disability (eg Guillain-Barré Syndrome).

So:
There is no way an athlete of Novak's level has ANY of the conditions in the first three cases
Everybody knows that he has not had C19 IN THE LAST SIX MONTHS, because he played the USO and was playing at the WTF. If he had it then, the tour should know, and if they allowed him to play with C19, that is the height of irresponsibility (which would not be totally unexpected, taking in consideration these eunuchs).
He CANNOT have experienced a reaction to a previous dose of the vaccine, because he has not had ANY dose of the vaccine.
The same rationale applies to the examples given.

So, he gets to play the Open because the government of Victoria suffers from a condition called aspinalitis, a very obscure genetic defect that voids people from having a spine.
He will get #21, and will be beloved in Serbia. But if this does not cement his status as tennis greatest villain EVER (yes, more than Nastase, more than Connors, more than Mac) I really wonder what else can he do.

Side opinion: what if he sent false information for the review? The article says the review is done anonymously, i.e., the board does not know who the data belongs to. If some people were willing to buy a vaccination card...
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Funny how he became a villain only late in his career. I'd not have called him that 5 years ago.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:33 pm Funny how he became a villain only late in his career. I'd not have called him that 5 years ago.
Indeed. Usually, it is the other way around. Connors dropped the label with age, Mac became more palatable, Nastase was accepted (only to later become one once more with more comments).
He was able to reverse that trend.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

Suliso wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:33 pm Funny how he became a villain only late in his career. I'd not have called him that 5 years ago.
It’s strange because he seems to often suggest how much he wants to the public to like him, but then he appears to do everything he can to make the public DISlike him. A quick look on Twitter suggests this isn’t going to go down well with the locals in Australia anyways, but he now has a new found fan base of fellow anti-vaxers
Last edited by Liamvalid on Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mary, queen of shots
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

I think he always has been, or at least a viilain lite. I remember him doing things like quitting matches with fake injuries and breathing issues when he was losing early in his career, and catching a lot of heat for it.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Here's the word salad, uh, Tennis Australia statement.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »