C19 and Tennis

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: C19 and Tennis

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

I don't have Twitter but saw a tweet saying that 20 other players got medical exemptions. Is that the case?

Sandgren apparently didn't apply because he didn't have any of the requisite medical conditions

So are the other Slams also going to require being vaxxed? What about non-slam tournaments? If any of the other tournaments do require vaccinations and end up not giving Novax an exemption, it's going to make the people who decided this look even worse, though I guess they must think it will just blow over and a month from now people won't even care.

I also read on Twitter that some people are saying there might be civil disobedience to protest this decision.

It's all kind of remarkable, in the very worst meaning of the word. :(

Kevin

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

As @Dennis said above people weren't allowed to come in for funerals but this man is. I can understand Australians being upset.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

No ‘special favour’ given to Djokovic for vaccination exemption: Tennis Australia
Scott Spits
By Scott Spits
January 5, 2022

Australian Open organisers say 26 players or their support staff applied for a medical exemption from the COVID-19 vaccination but only a few were successful, as tournament chief Craig Tiley said there was “no special opportunity granted to Novak” for the world No.1’s exemption.

Amid severe public backlash to news that Novak Djokovic had been granted a medical exemption to compete in the Australian Open, tournament organisers defended the integrity of the review process run by the national and Victorian governments.

Nine-time champion Djokovic said on social media that he had received an “exemption permission” to travel to Australia and defend his title.

Tiley said he understood why the wider community was widely concerned by the ruling.

“People this morning would wake up to that news [and I] would completely understand and emphasise with them being completely upset with that condition,” Tiley told Nine, owner of this masthead.

“Really at the end of the day … not only was the process appropriately followed but the conditions in which any tennis player comes in - no matter who they are, conditions put on tennis and put on anyone coming into Australia by the Australian government.

“We’ve made that very clear from the beginning.”

Up to 3000 tennis professionals and support staff are travelling to Australia for summer tournaments. Tiley said only a “handful” of the 26 people who sought medical exemptions had been successful.

“If they didn’t meet the guidelines, and there were many that didn’t so therefore they were rejected, but if they met the guidelines including for example – which a lot of people forget – is one of those conditions is having COVID recently, in the past six months,” Tiley said.

“Any person who met those conditions has been allowed to come in. There’s been no special favour. There’s been no special opportunity granted to Novak.“

Djokovic, who has refused to disclose his vaccination status, broke his silence on Instagram, posting a photo of him with his bags at an airport.

“Wishing you all health, love, and happiness in every present moment and may you feel love & respect towards all beings on this wonderful planet,” he posted.

“I’ve spent fantastic quality time with my loved ones over the break and today I’m heading Down Under with an exemption permission.”

Tennis Australia later confirmed Djokovic met the requirements set out in Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) guidelines.

“Novak Djokovic will compete at the Australian Open and is on his way to Australia,” a Tennis Australia statement read.

“Djokovic applied for a medical exemption, which was granted following a rigorous review process involving two separate independent panels of medical experts.

“One of those was the Independent Medical Exemption Review Panel appointed by the Victorian Department of Health.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/tennis/ ... 59lxn.html

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

They're not happy

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

MCOS tested positive?
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

Looks like the Prime Minister is getting involved now, there has been a few articles about this on the BBC news this morning, including interviews from angry Aussies-this is from the website:
Amid the row, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said Djokovic would be required to present evidence upon arrival that he has a genuine medical exemption from vaccination, or he would be "on the next plane home".

"If that evidence is insufficient, then he won't be treated any different to anyone else and he'll be on the next plane home," the prime minister told reporters. "There should be no special rules for Novak Djokovic at all. None whatsoever."

Many Australians had previously accused the government of allowing the rich and famous to do as they please while ordinary people remained separated from sick and dying loved ones.

"I think it's a disgrace," Christine Wharton, who lives in Melbourne, where the Australian Open will be held, told ABC.

"We've all done the right thing, we've all gone out and got our jabs and our boosters and we have someone that has come from overseas and all of a sudden he's been exempt and can play and I think it's an absolute disgrace and I won't be watching it."

A&E doctor Stephen Parnis tweeted: "I don't care how good a tennis player he is. If he's refusing to get vaccinated, he shouldn't be allowed in. "If this exemption is true, it sends an appalling message to millions seeking to reduce #COVID19Aus risk to themselves & others."
Mary, queen of shots
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Power to the people! There will be tremendous pressure to say what the exemption was. Maybe Djokovic will cough up some explanation (pun intended). Wonder if it will be true. A pundit on of the news shows in Australia said that the government will probably leak something if it's under too much heat.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Fun press conference game for journos: See how many times you can subtly sneak in a "Novax" when asking him questions. Always quickly follow his name with an s-word so he never really knows for sure...
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Does he not have a PR team outside his family or something? (I'm dying to see him get sent home)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Well, the PM seems clear on the matter.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Not that it's not bad to miss a loved one's funeral, but understand that there are plenty of Australians with verifiable medical conditions not getting vaccinated on the advice of their doctors who have not been granted exemptions and are forced to live like hermits for the time being.

He's even pissing off the unvaccinated population since they lost their jobs not getting the vaccine in line with the mandates and weren't granted exemptions.

Any Australian news outlet's articles on Twitter tends to have many comments from local and stranded Aussies, it's very informative on getting a read on how these decisions will go over. This one landed like a lead balloon.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:51 am MCOS tested positive?
Yes, Camila tested positive. She's hoping to still be able to play the Aussie Open, but will have to wait and see how it plays out.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:24 pm
Yes, Camila tested positive. She's hoping to still be able to play the Aussie Open, but will have to wait and see how it plays out.
I don't know what MCOS stands for. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks.

Kevin
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

dmforever wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:51 pm
JazzNU wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:24 pm
I don't know what MCOS stands for. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks.

Kevin