C19 and Tennis

Our main board to talk about our sport
Liamvalid Great Britain

Re: C19 and Tennis

Post by Liamvalid »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:50 pm Nope. It has been clear that it is not a visa thing. He simply cannot show he is complying with the exceptions, or that he is vaccinated. The visa is not the issue, it is that he simply cannot comply with the requirement.
Ah ok thanks for clearing that up. If it was anyone else I would feel really bad them
Mary, queen of shots
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Liamvalid wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:42 pm
But the medical exemption is still in place, right? It’s just the visa form being processed incorrectly that has caused him to be refused. Can’t he just re-apply for the correct visa? This is such a big story, it’s been a long while since I’ve been inspired to actually search the BBC for a tennis story!
No, not at all. His visa was being reviewed for the medical exemption of the vaccine. The Victorian government had granted that exemption to him. The Australia Border Force is a national enforcement agency, so when he landed, they reviewed his entry which includes a review of visa and vaccine status. They reviewed the evidence provided for the exemption as they would a regular person and said it was insufficient to gain entry.

Meaning it's what everyone thought. Tennis Australia struck some deal with the "independent" Victorian health panel to rubber stamp his exemption application. And whatever wheels were greased by TA to get him into the country, have fallen apart mightily.
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:54 pm
Liamvalid wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:42 pm
But the medical exemption is still in place, right? It’s just the visa form being processed incorrectly that has caused him to be refused. Can’t he just re-apply for the correct visa? This is such a big story, it’s been a long while since I’ve been inspired to actually search the BBC for a tennis story!
No, not at all. His visa was being reviewed for the medical exemption of the vaccine. The Victorian government had granted that exemption to him. The Australia Border Force is a national enforcement agency, so when he landed, they reviewed his entry which includes a review of visa and vaccine status. They reviewed the evidence provided for the exemption as they would a regular person and said it was insufficient to gain entry.

Meaning it's what everyone thought. Tennis Australia struck some deal with the "independent" Victorian health panel to rubber stamp his exemption application. And whatever wheels were greased by TA to get him into the country, have fallen apart mightily.
Wow this is wild! And the Serbian president going crazy over it. Who’d have thought instead of winning 21, he’d be starting world war 3
Mary, queen of shots
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:50 pm Nope. It has been clear that it is not a visa thing. He simply cannot show he is complying with the exceptions, or that he is vaccinated. The visa is not the issue, it is that he simply cannot comply with the requirement.
Curious, how has that been clear? All the reporting and official statement cited the visa. I didn't see any reporting that the border authorities re-evaluated the merit of his medical exemption. Do you know where that is coming from?
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Next up from the Novax camp... Full on victimhood and martyrdom mode.
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:54 pm Meaning it's what everyone thought. Tennis Australia struck some deal with the "independent" Victorian health panel to rubber stamp his exemption application. And whatever wheels were greased by TA to get him into the country, have fallen apart mightily.
They probably expected the national powers-that-be to rubber-stamp their move, which might have happened if s*** hadn't hit the fan yesterday and public opinion hadn't exploded. If Djoker hadn't posted from the airport and everyone had kept quiet until he was in the country, things might have gone differently.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

The subtext of his awesome reply: "we have more important, real issues to worry about related to COVID" followed by "suck it up".
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

I really want to know the details. Which doctors accepted whatever evidence he offered? What evidence did he offer? Did the doctors who accepted his evidence tell him that he would have to meet a higher standard of proof upon arrival in Australia? Or was he just hoping?

What a totally insane situation.

Kevin

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:01 pm
Curious, how has that been clear? All the reporting and official statement cited the visa. I didn't see any reporting that the border authorities re-evaluated the merit of his medical exemption. Do you know where that is coming from?
I posted the video on the previous page and @Ti posted it again on this one. It's 2 minutes long and worth watching. The statement from the Australia Border Force and the Health Minister make it clear that the visa holdup was about the evidence for the exemption. Maybe it was something else initially and that's why so many were reporting that part, but it's not why he's been denied.

Post by meganfernandez »

Fastbackss wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:15 am . Dude’s not playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Things change fast!

Exemption granted
And change back just as fast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNu has a better explanation, but I should have said, indeed, that it was the LATEST news. Megan, you are right in that there is nothing clear about this mess.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

I'm also enjoying Novax sat on a plane for 14 hours, isolated, and will have to turn around and do another 14 hour flight home again. 28+ hours airporting and on a plane over a 48 hour period, shoot me. (maybe this belongs in what level Dante?)

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:04 am JazzNu has a better explanation, but I should have said, indeed, that it was the LATEST news. Megan, you are right in that there is nothing clear about this mess.
I ended up finding some reporting on that. Right, not clear, but now I know where it was coming from.

Post by JazzNU »

This is from a recent article about Djokovic that might make the border entry a bit more clear in a succinct manner.

Home Affairs Minister Karen Andrews then clarified the border process.

"While the Victorian government and Tennis Australia may permit a non-vaccinated player to compete in the Australian Open, it is the Commonwealth government that will enforce our requirements at the Australian border,'' Andrews said. "If an arriving individual is not vaccinated, they must provide acceptable proof that they cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons to be able to access the same travel arrangement as fully vaccinated travelers.''

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/ ... -exemption