C19 and Tennis

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: C19 and Tennis

Post by ponchi101 »

I just read from another person in another forum, and who said it with glee, that if you get deported from Australia you face an automatic 3 years ban from entering. If that is true, his days of playing at the Aussie are over, most likely. And this person is from Adelaide.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

Djokovic and his lawyers have been successful in an injunction against the deportation and are appealing against the decision, but his legal challenge has been adjourned until Monday, so he will now have to stay in the quarantine hotel until then.
Mary, queen of shots
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

He's rich and have top class lawyers. I'd not be surprised if he still somehow weasels out.
Woody

Post by Woody »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:16 am I just read from another person in another forum, and who said it with glee, that if you get deported from Australia you face an automatic 3 years ban from entering. If that is true, his days of playing at the Aussie are over, most likely. And this person is from Adelaide.
I saw this on Twitter yesterday. Unless he lied or provided falsified documents or something, there's absolutely no way he's going to get a 3-year ban. As far as we know, he went there in good faith, thinking he had a valid exemption.

https://visaenvoy.com/re-entry-ban-exclusion-period/
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Woody wrote:
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:16 am I just read from another person in another forum, and who said it with glee, that if you get deported from Australia you face an automatic 3 years ban from entering. If that is true, his days of playing at the Aussie are over, most likely. And this person is from Adelaide.
I saw this on Twitter yesterday. Unless he lied or provided falsified documents or something, there's absolutely no way he's going to get a 3-year ban. As far as we know, he went there in good faith, thinking he had a valid exemption.

https://visaenvoy.com/re-entry-ban-exclusion-period/
Agree, that would be too harsh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Novak's parents should teach a master class in hyperbole
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Meanwhile...

He tested positive after Abu Dhabi...or was it Dubai?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

It’s been reported that Renata Voracova has also had her visa cancelled and is being detained in the same immigration hotel as Djokovic.

Also seems that Kyrgios is kind of defending Nole, saying that the Australian handling of the situation has been really bad
Mary, queen of shots
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Liamvalid wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:59 am It’s been reported that Renata Voracova has also had her visa cancelled and is being detained in the same immigration hotel as Djokovic.

Also seems that Kyrgios is kind of defending Nole, saying that the Australian handling of the situation has been really bad
I had never heard of Voracova (doesn't make the situation any less worse for her - but won't also make the press as much as if it were a major ATP player for example)

As for Kyrgios - I would argue that, without further context of your comment, those two things can be exclusive. Saying Australia handled this poorly ... but without defending Nole
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

Fastbackss wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:36 am
Liamvalid wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:59 am It’s been reported that Renata Voracova has also had her visa cancelled and is being detained in the same immigration hotel as Djokovic.

I had never heard of Voracova (doesn't make the situation any less worse for her - but won't also make the press as much as if it were a major ATP player for example)

As for Kyrgios - I would argue that, without further context of your comment, those two things can be exclusive. Saying Australia handled this poorly ... but without defending Nole
Here’s the full quote:
Look I definitely believe in taking action, I got vaccinated because of others and for my mums health, but how we are handling Novak’s situation is bad, really bad. Like these memes, headlines, this is one of our great champions but at the end of the day, he is human. Do better.
Mary, queen of shots
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I kind of agree. He should not have been given the visa in the first place instead of all this theatre.

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:58 am I kind of agree. He should not have been given the visa in the first place instead of all this theatre.
To me, it's unclear if the agency that approves visas evaluated the merits of the medical exemption or waited until he arrived to do so. There seems to have been a breakdown between the state of Victoria's authority to provide an exemption and the authority it would carry at the federal level... although the feds told Tennis Australia (and maybe Victorian authorities, not sure) that having Covid within 6 months did not justify a medical exemption. It's unclear to me whether border control had a problem with that justification, with Djokovic's evidence for it, or both.

If Australia messed up internally with its processes and inadvertently gave Djokovic a legal basis for entering the country, perhaps he has a leg to stand on in court Monday. At least those proceedings should be public - or the records, if Australia is anything like the US - so real, sworn-upon facts and documents will be available. We'll know the full story then.
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

A legal perspective on proceedings...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-59904833

If Novax and his team did not verse themselves in the rules at the state or federal level then that's on them.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Post by meganfernandez »

the Moz wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:02 pm A legal perspective on proceedings...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-59904833

If Novax and his team did not verse themselves in the rules at the state or federal level then that's on them.
Another good one, by a former immigration official in Australia, if you want to get into the weeds of their border policies and practices.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

He should be isolated, of course. And it was very clear from the beginning that he was not vaccinated and that his exemption status would be based on bogus claims (chronical health issues would be ridiculous for a player of his caliber). Heck, we know of about 50 people in the world that called this on him (we did).
But he should not be detained at that location. He is an absolute no flight risk, and anyway, it is not as if he has intentions to stay in Australia as an illegal alien. He has enough money to put down a credit card and rent an entire hotel and be isolated there, if allowed to do so. In that aspect, I would grant him a small leeway.
If his father had shown up, on the other hand, the Aussie version of Alcatraz. Please.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem