C19 and Tennis

Our main board to talk about our sport
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: C19 and Tennis

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:47 pm I dunno Megan. "Your word is your bond". Tiley has been working with various governments of Victoria for years I would imagine and he's always played it straight with them. There was no reason for them to check. I'm sure they never thought he'd try and play them like this. His actions are going to result in future governments looking over the shoulder of whoever is Tournament Director going forward and nitpicking everything.
I see what you mean, maybe had no reason to distrust TA. But this was an exception to federal immigration policy. Pretty big one to take TA's word. You'd think someone in the state would have needed a document or proof to spread the word - "See the attached letter from the Commonwealth to Tennis Australia confirming that a Covid infection since July 31 is a valid reason for a medical exemption." There could be more to this because it seems like a gross oversight to me. For instance, maybe the state DID get something from TA, but didn't know that TA had also gotten OTHER documents that muddied the waters.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:41 pm
The ATAGI guidelines say that having Covid within since months is a valid reason for a medical exemption, so I don't know why the feds told TA it isn't. That's accurate as of late November 2021, per the lateset ATAGI guidelines on its website. Doesn't say anything about requiring a vaccine shot on top of that. It's still possible that the border force didn't find Djokovic's supporting documents convincing, but why are they overruling doctors on medical merits?
Too many assumptions made here. Looking at what federal immunization guidelines list as a reason for a medical exemption will have no bearing on what is required for Djokovic. Those are guidelines for Australians to get medical exemptions. Australian Border Force can and clearly does have different parameters that foreigners must meet to enter the country. You will need to go find something from them that says the exact same rules apply for foreigners entering the country for what you're saying to be accurate.

Post by JazzNU »

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

It wasn't only Djokovic who 'misread the mood of the Australian public' - Tennis Australia also obviously miscalculated the reaction of the Australian public.
They seem to have bent over backwards (and maybe also bent the rules) to ensure that Djokovic plays the Aussie Open, not realizing that the overwhelming majority of Aussies would prefer that he NOT play...

That's quite a major miscalculation.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

Novak’s court documents have revealed he had a positive PCR test on 16th December, this is what his lawyers are going to use in court.

If they are successful, I would love to know what Voracova’s reason for exemption was
Mary, queen of shots
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Liamvalid wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:11 am Novak’s court documents have revealed he had a positive PCR test on 16th December, this is what his lawyers are going to use in court.
:lol:
If true, that's hilarious!
If he really did have a positive PCR test on December 16th, 2021, my guess is that it was either some type of fake document, or that he deliberately contracted the virus in the hope that it would provide him with the medical exemption for the Aussie Open. Given the timing, it's far too convenient and co-incidental to believe that it was a legitimate positive PCR result.

As well, my understanding from what I've read is that having had COVID-19 recently is NOT a valid reason for a medical exemption to enter Australia - such a person would also need to be vaccinated with a vaccine that is officially recognized by Australia.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

Deuce wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:02 am
Liamvalid wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:11 am Novak’s court documents have revealed he had a positive PCR test on 16th December, this is what his lawyers are going to use in court.
If he really did have a positive PCR test on December 16th, 2021, my guess is that it was either some type of fake document, or that he deliberately contracted the virus in the hope that it would provide him with the medical exemption for the Aussie Open. Given the timing, it's far too convenient and co-incidental to believe that it was a legitimate positive PCR result.

As well, my understanding from what I've read is that having had COVID-19 recently is NOT a valid reason for a medical exemption to enter Australia - such a person would also need to be vaccinated with a vaccine that is officially recognized by Australia.
I haven’t had chance to follow much tennis at all recently, so was hoping to read on here on Novak’s activities in December. It wouldn’t surprise me if he was to be pictured at big parties or sporting events without a mask or social distancing, that’s for sure.
But as you say, it may be in vain if the rule is that you must still have a jab, even if you have the natural immunity of a recent infection, and even that is questionable with COVID.
His lawyers must think they have a strong case though to be going through all this, or do you think it’s just Novak clutching at straws?
Mary, queen of shots
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Liamvalid wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:36 am
Deuce wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:02 am

I haven’t had chance to follow much tennis at all recently, so was hoping to read on here on Novak’s activities in December. It wouldn’t surprise me if he was to be pictured at big parties or sporting events without a mask or social distancing, that’s for sure.
But as you say, it may be in vain if the rule is that you must still have a jab, even if you have the natural immunity of a recent infection, and even that is questionable with COVID.
His lawyers must think they have a strong case though to be going through all this, or do you think it’s just Novak clutching at straws?
I doubt his lawyers honestly care whether they win or lose - either way, Djokovic is paying them a handsome amount of money.

As for Djokovic, I think he feels that he's simply trying to get what he feels he deserves; what he's entitled to.
That these top tennis players are completely spoiled in every element of life - on and off the court - should not be forgotten in this circumstance. They get chauffeured around everywhere - and when they drive themselves, they buy whatever vehicles they want to drive... they live in mansions... they are at luxurious resorts when they're not playing, etc., etc... They are adored (superficially) by 'fans' and are literally viewed as demi-gods. They are so accustomed to people 'adoring' them, and to always getting what they want, and to having people wait on them hand and foot, that not getting what they want and having to live as a 'common person' - even for a few days - is an extremely foreign feeling to them. Perhaps even traumatic, in a twisted way...

Look at how he - and his parents, sigh - have demanded that he be allowed to get out of that peasant hotel and go to the house he rented (which is surely luxurious)... look how he wants his personal chef to cook him food at the hotel... These are things he feels completely entitled to - because he has always gotten exactly what he wanted over the past 15 years or so. He cannot begin to understand how it can be possible that he doesn't get what he wants.
This is all the more reason why I truly hope that he will be thrown out of Australia soon. It will be a much needed lesson in humility for him. And maybe others who are also accustomed to getting everything they want will learn something valuable from it, as well.
R.I.P. Amal...

Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Seems more and more that Tennis Australia, Tiley in particular, are the shady culprits of this whole debacle, yet it doesn't feel like they/he are being portrayed this way. Seems to be being put on the Victorian and Australian governments. (or am I reading this all wrong?) Novax doesn't seem bothered or aware that he is now reviled by a very significant part of the Australian population and tennis fans internationally. Being boo'd mercilessly at every tournament he enters from here on out will no doubt have some kind of negative effect on his mental health which will affect his game negatively, I would think.
Last edited by Owendonovan on Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Liamvalid wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:36 am ...

My GF found on IG the list of places he went to around mid December. A basketball game, an event with kids, a few more. He never even remotely went into quarantine, if he did get C19.
The guy that needs to answer a lot of questions is Tiley. I will grant Novax the benefit of doubt that he was told he could come in, as the head of the tournament told him so. But this seems to have been very reckless from Tiley's side.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

I specifically remember someone here posting a picture of Novax at a basketball game--front row, no mask, etc. Seems like that would have been around 12/16. Or perhaps that picture was older than that.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

No, that was the game I was talking about.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

I read someone's post on Twitter which summed it up for me. Nnvax shouldn't have asked for an exemption. TA shouldn't have told him he would get one. And the Australian government shouldn't have waited until he arrived to let him and/or TA know that he wouldn't be let in.

Kevin

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JazzNU »

^^ In addition to this and the basketball game he attended maskless in Belgrade, if he really did conveniently contract covid in mid-December, there's the issue of Jelena, a certain close contact, being out during the time when she should have been quarantined, especially since one can assume she is unvaccinated. Seriously reckless family if true.

Which call me naïve, I think is a stretch for both, so it just makes me think the web of lies is growing for Novax.