C19 and Tennis

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: C19 and Tennis

Post by ti-amie »

Karen Sweeney
@karenlsweeney

Of course, it's also entirely likely his solicitors have accepted the "medical contraindication" they're arguing also allows him to enter Australia.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

Looks like Nole is going to play.

Kevin
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I told you so... It was obvious to me when he got as far as a court. Public opinion is irrelevant here.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

And the reasoning was indeed a technicality. Government didn't provide him an extra hour to gather evidence (from where?)
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

I"m going to sleep. This may have changed by the time I wake up. New pundits are saying that the government has too much at stake, and a different immigration branch of the government may cancel the visa for different reasons.

Kevin
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Suliso wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:29 am I told you so... It was obvious to me when he got as far as a court. Public opinion is irrelevant here.
Suliso wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:18 am And the reasoning was indeed a technicality. Government didn't provide him an extra hour to gather evidence (from where?)
Common sense is also all too often irrelevant in court. As is truth.
The law prefers to side with irrelevant loopholes and technicalities, forever rewarding those who can exploit these elements. Right, wrong, true guilt or innocence really doesn't matter.
This is why 'the law' is so often referred to as being 'an ass'.

I hope the public boycott the Aussie Open. Sadly, though, the majority won't have the guts to do that.
As I said previously - this will be the first tennis tournament in history to be played with no balls.

Meanwhile, Kyrgios pulled out of his first round match with Fognini at Sydney right before the match. It seems that he tested positive.
Right on cue... :roll:

Sigh...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Might not be over. Immigration minister could still cancel his visa. From Paul Sakkal, an Australian journalist who has been on the case: "ATAGI's Allen Cheng tells @theage prior infection never been valid O/S travel exemption."

Haven't read all the reports, but it sounds like the question before the court wasn't whether his medical exemption was valid. It was due process, and the judge chose to limit his scope to that question.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:03 am Haven't read all the reports, but it sounds like the question before the court wasn't whether his medical exemption was valid. It was due process, and the judge chose to limit his scope to that question.
A typical thing for a court to do.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:03 am Haven't read all the reports, but it sounds like the question before the court wasn't whether his medical exemption was valid. It was due process, and the judge chose to limit his scope to that question.
A typical thing for a court to do.
Yes it’s common. Varies by judge. Some judges take more liberty to address underlying issues, too. At least in the States. I wish the judge had taken the time to examine the merits of his medical exemption while they were all there and had the documents, if that's why his visa was cancelled. That's the central question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by meganfernandez on Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

48 minutes.
That's what the court ruling was based upon - that Djokovic was denied an extra 48 minutes to gather evidence and contact others (namely Tennis Australia) to show that his exemption was legitimate.
It all comes down to 48 minutes - which common sense dictates would not have made any significant difference.

So I say give him those 48 minutes. Hell - give him 12 extra minutes to make it an even hour. If he can't prove in that amount of time that he is eligible to enter the country/state as per the official rules and guidelines, then he leaves the country immediately - period.

All of this gobbledygook is pure BS. It doesn't matter what Tennis Australia told Djokovic. It doesn't matter what the state of Victoria told Djokovic. If they made mistakes, they should be punished - but those mistakes DO NOT mean that Djokovic is eligible to enter the country.
The ONLY thing that matters is whether he qualifies for entry to the country based on the rules and guidelines for entry. This would take a 12 year old child less than 5 minutes to determine.
But with politicians, lawyers, and judges, it takes days, of course. And even after that, it's still not clear.
Incredible. Absolutely incredible.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

The cynic in me says this was a pre-planned circus made to absolve the government of the blame of accepting Djokovic into the country in the eyes of the Australian public.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I've heard that Spartacus, and those who spawned him, are to speak publicly within minutes...
R.I.P. Amal...

the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

What a crap decision to wake up to. I'm going back to bed...
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Personally, I find it more and more difficult to operate in a world where being part of the problem instead of being part of the solution is what is being celebrated, endorsed, and more and more encouraged. I'm not opposed to spectators showering Novax with trash when he steps on the court to play.
Last edited by Owendonovan on Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

Deuce wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:59 pm I've heard that Spartacus, and those who spawned him, are to speak publicly within minutes...
Oh lord. If I was him I’d at least wait until I know for sure the immigration minister isn’t going to act further.
Mary, queen of shots