C19 and Tennis

Our main board to talk about our sport
Deuce Canada

Re: C19 and Tennis

Post by Deuce »

I'm watching his family speak on BBC World now...
Apparently, Novak is a great guy... :lol:
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

At the family's news conference, when a reporter asked them if it's true that Novak tested positive for COVID-19 on Dec. 16th, Novak's brother answered "Yes - this is legal public knowledge". His parents knew what was coming next - they mumbled a few things...
Of course, the next question from a reporter was "Is it true that Novak was out in public just the day after having tested positive for COVID-19?"
At that point, Novak's brother said "This press conference is adjourned" - and the family got up and left.

Novak's brother said that Novak was practicing in Rod Laver Arena.

They brought Novak's trophies - and even a bust of his head - to the press conference, and they were all displayed on the table in front of the family.
This is the Twilight Zone, after all...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

The only reason this isn't surprising is because it was becoming clear that his celebrity was being taken into account. This wasn't a good legal case for Novax. He hasn't been forced to answer questions related to his questionable covid positive timeline, the judge not doing probing into that speaks volumes on how this was decided. Highly doubtful Average Joe with a similar case is granted access here, the court would've reprimanded the government on the due process, then probed into the validity of the violation at that time since he's not an Australian citizen and the house of cards would've come tumbling down. Or the judge would've overturned the due process decision granting the visa, and still remanded him back to the immigration hotel since the matter hasn't been fully decided by the authorities on the validity of the medical exemption. This decision is inconsistent with others that have been made there. This is special treatment, plain and simple.

And this highly public ordeal is going to open up the floodgates on the unvaxxed Aussies not being allowed to return or free movement, and the ones that have Russian vaccines not being able to return home. And Australia deserves the problems that come from this for the special treatment they gave to this Diva.
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

JazzNU wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:26 pm The only reason this isn't surprising is because it was becoming clear that his celebrity was being taken into account. This wasn't a good legal case for Novax. He hasn't been forced to answer questions related to his questionable covid positive timeline, the judge not doing probing into that speaks volumes on how this was decided. Highly doubtful Average Joe with a similar case is granted access here, the court would've reprimanded the government on the due process, then probed into the validity of the violation at that time since he's not an Australian citizen and the house of cards would've come tumbling down. Or the judge would've overturned the due process decision granting the visa, and still remanded him back to the immigration hotel since the matter hasn't been fully decided by the authorities on the validity of the medical exemption. This decision is inconsistent with others that have been made there. This is special treatment, plain and simple.

And this highly public ordeal is going to open up the floodgates on the unvaxxed Aussies not being allowed to return or free movement, and the ones that have Russian vaccines not being able to return home. And Australia deserves the problems that come from this for the special treatment they gave to this Diva.
In the judge's decision they said Novax was 'assured by Tennis Australia' that he was exempt and allowed to enter the country. Not sure what that has to do with the legalities of the case before you, but okay :roll: :roll: :roll:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JazzNU »

Nick Kyrgios tested positive for covid and had to pull out of the Sydney tournament. He's fully vaccinated and has been for a long time, unlike a certain someone, he's been a vocal advocate of vaccines.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I liked the part when the judge asked "what else could this man (Novax) had done?"
Get vaccinated?
He still has time to get back in shape, and use the first two rounds to get in very good shape. #21 is juuuuuust there...
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JazzNU »

Jensen Brooksby and his coach tested positive ahead of their flight to Melbourne, so he's out of the Aussie Open.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:54 am
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:42 am Ok, that is a very grave accusation to just float it out there in social media. If that is true, I gather we are no longer talking deportation, we are talking at least a misdemeanor?
Update: Rennae Stubbs said no way, he wasn't there.

Judge just ordered Aussie officials to bring Djokovic to his lawyers or somewhere else where he can watch the hearing (a place that doesn't require vaccination, I guess). So maybe judge earlier approved a release for him to play at Melbourne Park, which seems egregious to me, but what do I know.

Djokovic will get to leave detention to observe the hearing every day that it takes place. So far - and it's very early - the judge sounds pro-Djokovic.

I know this is moot now that the decision was made, but wasn't the hearing livestreamed online? Is there no internet at the detention hotel?
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

One of the other players that had this situation (probably wasn't only Voracova) should sue Tennis Australia for misleading them, if they were really told a recent positive test is sufficient for an exemption.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

mmmm8 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:07 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:54 am
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:42 am Ok, that is a very grave accusation to just float it out there in social media. If that is true, I gather we are no longer talking deportation, we are talking at least a misdemeanor?
Update: Rennae Stubbs said no way, he wasn't there.

Judge just ordered Aussie officials to bring Djokovic to his lawyers or somewhere else where he can watch the hearing (a place that doesn't require vaccination, I guess). So maybe judge earlier approved a release for him to play at Melbourne Park, which seems egregious to me, but what do I know.

Djokovic will get to leave detention to observe the hearing every day that it takes place. So far - and it's very early - the judge sounds pro-Djokovic.

I know this is moot now that the decision was made, but wasn't the hearing livestreamed online? Is there no internet at the detention hotel?
I think I read that the detention hotel does not have wifi, but I can't remember. The stream was overloaded and glitchy anyway.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:13 pm
I think I read that the detention hotel does not have wifi, but I can't remember. The stream was overloaded and glitchy anyway.
Wow, that would make the life of the medical refugees detained there even worse.

Post by meganfernandez »

mmmm8 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:09 pm One of the other players that had this situation (probably wasn't only Voracova) should sue Tennis Australia for misleading them, if they were really told a recent positive test is sufficient for an exemption.
it seems like a recent positive test IS sufficient, right? This point is still unclear -which is maddening, because it's one of two questions that actually matter: Is this a legal basis for an exemption, and if not, why in the world was he issued a visa and allowed to board a plane? If it is sufficient, did Djokovic's paperwork seem fishy to the ABF (even though it hadn't seemed fishy to the Home Department that issues his visa or the ABF staff that let him on the plane in Dubai)? If it's legal and his paperwork didn't spark suspicions, he should been allowed in, unless there's something else we don't know. Maybe that's not the reason they denied his visa after all. Maybe it was the "wrong visa" technicality.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by meganfernandez »

mmmm8 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:16 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:13 pm
Wow, that would make the life of the medical refugees detained there even worse.
You'd think. But maybe life without social media is quite pleasant. :) I honestly can't remember but I think I read this right after he was detained and people were writing about the hotel.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:19 pm You'd think. But maybe life without social media is quite pleasant. :) I honestly can't remember but I think I read this right after he was detained and people were writing about the hotel.
Looked it up (internet access is not just social media, it's access to information and entertainment, access to communication with family and legal resources beyond phone calls). They have internet access, given this interview: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/nova ... -rcna11433

But the government tried to take it away last year:
https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2020/0 ... u-s25.html