C19 and Tennis

Our main board to talk about our sport
dmforever

Re: C19 and Tennis

Post by dmforever »

STATEMENT BY NOVAK DJOKOVIC
12 January 2022
I want to address the continuing misinformation about my activities and attendance at events in December in the lead up to my positive PCR COVID test result.
This is misinformation which needs to be corrected, particularly in the interest of alleviating broader concern in the community about my presence in Australia, and to address matters which are very hurtful and concerning to my family.
I want to emphasise that I have tried very hard to ensure the safety of everyone and my compliance with testing obligations.
I attended a basketball game in Belgrade on 14 December after which it was reported that a number of people tested positive with COVID 19. Despite having no COVID symptoms, I took a rapid antigen test on 16 December which was negative, and out of an abundance of caution, also took an official and approved PCR test on that same day. The next day I attended a tennis event in Belgrade to present awards to children and took a rapid antigen test before going to the event, and it was negative. I was asymptomatic and felt good, and I had not received the notification of a positive PCR test result until after that event.
The next day, on 18 December I was at my tennis centre in Belgrade to fulfill a long-standing commitment for a L’Equipe interview and photoshoot. I cancelled all other events except for the L’Equipe interview.
I felt obliged to go ahead and conduct the L’Equipe interview as I didn’t want to let the journalist down, but did ensure I socially distanced and wore a mask except when my photograph was being taken.
While I went home after the interview to isolate for the required period, on reflection, this was an error of judgement and I accept that I should have rescheduled this commitment.
On the issue of my travel declaration, this was submitted by my support team on my behalf – as I told immigration officials on my arrival - and my agent sincerely apologises for the administrative mistake in ticking the incorrect box about my previous travel before coming to Australia. This was a human error and certainly not deliberate. We are living in challenging times in a global pandemic and sometimes these mistakes can occur. Today, my team has provided additional information to the Australian Government to clarify this matter.
While I felt it was important to address and clarify misinformation I will not be making any further comment out of utmost respect for the Australian Government and their authorities and the current process.
It is always an honour and a privilege to play in the Australian Open. The Australian Open is much-loved by players, fans and the community, not just in Victoria and in Australia, but around the globe, and I just want to have the opportunity to compete against the best players in the world and perform before one of the best crowds in the world.

Kevin
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

STATEMENT BY DEUCE
12 January 2022

I don't believe Novak Djokovic.

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

mmmm8 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:57 pm The previous speculation above from Ben was off - he confused the positive ("Dec 16") and negative ("Dec 22") tests when checking the QR code. But this is more legitimate. Either way, he lied about not traveling in 14 days prior.
Yeah, and I don't think "my agent filled out my paperwork" is an excuse. Even if it was an honest mistake, you're responsible for your own immigration paperwork. It's you who's asking to enter the country, not your agent.

The test date thing is weird. Some are saying the date and ID number generate when you download the record, so of course if he downloaded it later, it would have a different date and ID number than the original ones.

Perhaps a journalist shouldn't publish speculation. Finish reporting, then publish. If you want input for assistance, ask for it without the speculation.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:15 pm
Yeah, and I don't think "my agent filled out my paperwork" is an excuse. Even if it was an honest mistake, you're responsible for your own immigration paperwork. It's you who's asking to enter the country, not your agent.
He should ask how well that worked for Sharapova when her agent didn't tell her about meldonium being added to the banned list.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Woody wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:41 am
I was one who said that wouldn't happen, based on Novak making an honest mistake, thinking he had a valid exemption. I'm coming around though. If he lied about travel and ESPECIALLY if it turns out his test results have been monkeyed with, I would not be the slightest bit surprised if he gets a 3-year ban. And it would be well deserved.

If he actually faked a test result, I would think the ATP would also have to step in and take some serious action. It reflects very badly on the sport.
I have not seen the guidelines myself, but I've seen it said on Tennis Twitter many times now that the ATP has a 3-year suspension rule tied with a falsified test.

I still think it's highly unlikely he'll get the 3 year ban to Australia, but given the mounting liability he's exposed himself to and the public nature of this nonsense, I could see them giving him a light ban. Of the 6-9 month variety, something that will be a slap on the wrist and won't be a true punishment for him.

Tennis Twitter is trying to keep track of Djokovic's current civil and criminal liability due to all his damn lies - So far it would appear he has exposed himself to:
  • Possible 3 year deportation ban from Australia
  • Possible 3 year ATP ban for a falsified PCR
  • Up to 3 year criminal sentence in Serbia for breaking isolation
  • 12-month prison sentence in I believe it is Australia for falsified travel documents

Now, of course this man isn't seeing the inside of a jail cell, but it does highlight the recklessness of his actions. And the Serbian law for breaking self-isolation has been enforced, someone posted an article about a man sentenced to 3 years, so that's not just a law on the books for them.

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JazzNU »

^^ Not sure about others, but it's been confirmed by L'Equipe that the reporter at that interviewed him and the team that did the photoshoot on the Dec. 18th learned of Djokovic's covid positive test when the story broke in Australia in recent days.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

atlpam wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:24 pm ...

He should ask how well that worked for Sharapova when her agent didn't tell her about meldonium being added to the banned list.
:notworthy:

---0---
In the meantime, because this world is so weird that this man has become the focus of everything, Howard Stern, one of the most brilliant man in America, came up with, what to me, sums up perfectly Novax' (and other idiots) claim that vaccination is a personal decision:
"Saying “getting vaccinated is a private decision” is “like saying smoking is a private decision,” said Stern. “Well, that’s true. But don’t smoke in my face, f*****. What a dummy. Just a big dumb tennis player.”
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Just to be sure, I looked it up.

Misinformation: False or inaccurate information, especially that which is deliberately intended to deceive.

Post by JazzNU »

Priceless. Hot mike moment that is surely speaking for most people.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:46 pm
In the meantime, because this world is so weird that this man has become the focus of everything, Howard Stern, one of the most brilliant man in America, came up with, what to me, sums up perfectly Novax' (and other idiots) claim that vaccination is a personal decision:
"Saying “getting vaccinated is a private decision” is “like saying smoking is a private decision,” said Stern. “Well, that’s true. But don’t smoke in my face, f*****. What a dummy. Just a big dumb tennis player.”
Strong disagree on "one of the most brilliant men in America." Whew! Glossing over a lot by saying that. But this is the audio from Howard Stern. A lot of curses so expand if you want to listen.

► Show Spoiler
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I wouldn't classify Stern as one of the most brilliant men in America but a broken clock is right twice a day. There's nowhere to hide now for either Novax or the ATP.

A long standing member of TennisTwitter now calls him "Spartacus of Nazareth".
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Woody

Post by Woody »

Apparently this is a well-respected journalist...