C19 and Tennis

Our main board to talk about our sport
MJ2004

C19 and Tennis

Post by MJ2004 »

Assuming we’re talking about the same interview (he may have spouted off in more than one), the one I saw was very near the start of ESPN coverage yesterday evening. With Chris McKendry and Chris Evert.
MJ2004

Re: C19 and Tennis

Post by MJ2004 »

Yep, same interview. Here's an article discussing it: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/john-mcenr ... 41231.html
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

I've noticed that McEnroe has gotten incredibly permissive of whatever wrongdoing or unlikable character trait Novax does or has and as far as I can tell, it's because he sees himself as Novax and Bjorn as the Federer/Nadal. Every time I see him defending Novax (didn't see this one, just read a bit), but on other stuff, his words could easily be a defense of his own outlandish behavior when he was playing. So what if I'm yelling at the top of my lungs and making threats to the umpires, they are awful and self-important inserting themselves into these matches constantly = So what he hit the lineswoman? How about not standing in the way of the ball when I need to blow off steam and hit it? It's become clearer to me with every incident that occurs. And he's almost gotten uncomfortable to listen to when discussing Novak's popularity vs. Federer/Nadal, like tepid applause from the crowd and he's like, see they are loving this and loving him. No they aren't John, you're projecting.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The McEnroe brothers and Djokovic have been close for years. Tennis media just never talks about it. What he reportedly said per that Yahoo article is no surprise.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:40 am The McEnroe brothers and Djokovic have been close for years. Tennis media just never talks about it. What he reportedly said per that Yahoo article is no surprise.
Exactly. And speaking of Patrick, when he appeared on Get Up at the end of last week, he could've stood to say more about the situation the way that Darren Cahill did when I heard him on Sports Center (a very good appearance from him). But Patrick basically boiled it down to Djokovic being a political football and that being what this is about. To say I was disappointed was an understatement.

And you know I hate Mary Carillo, but I saw her on MSNBC a few days ago talking about the situation and she did a great job.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

McEnroe always says stupid things - and it's legitimate to say that his defense of Djokovic is at least in part a defense of himself... but he also says some things that make sense sometimes.
For example - from the recent article/interview:
“It’s total BS. If he decides not to have a vaccine and the Australian authorities say, ‘You cannot go down there unless you’re vaccinated', end of story, it’s black or white."
That is spot on - that's exactly how it SHOULD have been handled.

As for Mary Carillo, in my view, she is the most intelligent and witty tennis broadcaster at present.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

The two reporters who have stood out and done a great job in this scenario are Paul Sakkal (not a tennis reporter, but he's been outstanding) and on the tennis front Jon Wertheim gave a great interview with Christiane Amanpour.

Sakkal appeared twice on the No Challenges Podcast and gave the best and most detailed explanation I've heard yet of what happened down under. I think the first appearance was linked to here on TAT already, here's his second appearance, which aired yesterday:
https://nochallengesremaining.podbean.c ... e-is-done/
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

MJ2004 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:39 pm and done a great job in this scenario are Paul Sakkal (not a tennis reporter, but he's been outstanding) and on the tennis front Jon Wertheim gave a great interview with Christiane Amanpour.

Sakkal appeared twice on the No Challenges Podcast and gave the best and most detailed explanation I've heard yet of what happened down under. I think the first appearance was linked to here on TAT already, here's his second
Probably helped that Sakkal isn't a tennis reporter. He needed news experience and civic contacts for this story.

Post by JazzNU »

MJ2004 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:39 pm The two reporters who have stood out and done a great job in this scenario are Paul Sakkal (not a tennis reporter, but he's been outstanding) and on the tennis front Jon Wertheim gave a great interview with Christiane Amanpour.

Sakkal appeared twice on the No Challenges Podcast and gave the best and most detailed explanation I've heard yet of what happened down under. I think the first appearance was linked to here on TAT already, here's his second appearance, which aired yesterday:
https://nochallengesremaining.podbean.c ... e-is-done/
Haven't seen Jon much on this, but agree completely on Paul doing a great job covering the story.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Someone on another site suggested that Novax would be allowed to play Miami since Florida is a no vaxx state.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:07 am Someone on another site suggested that Novax would be allowed to play Miami since Florida is a no vaxx state.
That's ridiculous. He needs to get in the country first. DeSantis doesn't set the rules for entry into the country, just permissiveness once in Florida. People have a very poor understanding of how things work. And obnoxious Novax fans are quite desperate right now and grasping at straws.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

A former State Dept friend of mine noticed that the law says people to the US arriving by plane must be vaccinated. He wondered if Djokovic could arrive by boat or through Mexico or Canada. I assume the same law applies by land or sea and he just didn't see that version, but it's a funny image, Novak pulling up in a yacht.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »