World News Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
mick1303 Ukraine

Re: World News Random, Random

Post by mick1303 »

I'm very touched that all of you are worrying about me.

I wasn't answering because there was no power and Internet. Now I have them - don't know for how long.
Yesterday we've got electricity restored in our apartment (emergency connection for a group of buildings, because regular power distribution node is destroyed (or otherwise not functional). Mobile Internet is very weak and only outdoors (as is mobile reception in general). But surprisingly today we've got wired Internet.
Overall situation of the city is dire. Russians do not target residential areas intentionally, but they are getting destroyed anyway here and there. Besides their choice of "military objects" is also quite cannibalistic. They destroyed blood transfusion center - big medical facility. Their reasoning apparently was that it was helping Ukrainian army.
The hits on the city and destroyed buildings and facilities are too many to describe.
Some supermarkets are open and there are very long lines of people, though they selling out what is remained, does not look like they are able to re-supply. Too little time passed yet to have food shortages, but some already suffer.

We are getting used to constant sounds of artillery.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

With electricity and AC working in inverter mode I raised the temperature in my apartment from 59 to 66. We are without centralized heating since 24th.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Thank you for checking in, Mick. We are thinking of you and your family.
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

Mick, it is awful to see what is happening in Kharkiv and all of Ukraine. We hope you are able to stay warm and safe. Thank you for posting, many of us have been thinking of you.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

mick1303 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:30 am With electricity and AC working in inverter mode I raised the temperature in my apartment from 59 to 66. We are without centralized heating since 24th.
Thanks for touching base, Mick. Thinking about you and praying for your and your family's safety. Please keep us updated if you have a chance, and if there's anything we can do, please don't hesitate to ask. I know that sounds small, but we're here for you if needed.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Thank you for checking in Mick. I was very worried when I heard about Kharkiv. We're all here for you.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Posted without comment

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

Mick, I'm glad you were able to check in and so sorry you are having to endure this. I believe you said your father is there too? I hope you both continue as well as possible.

Do we have any other folks with relations or friends in Ukraine? My aunt by marriage is Ukrainian and her son from her first marriage is still in Ukraine. They are from Sumy. Her son and his wife (along with 2 cousins and their wives) have been able to get to western Ukraine, but not farther. He will supposedly not be allowed to leave but hopefully his wife will soon leave. My aunt and uncle are headed to Europe soon to be available for her.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

March 5th update.
There is no wired Internet, but mobile is still somewhat working in my fathers apartment. His has windows on the opposite site from mine apartment. I arranged my phone near the window in modem mode and have Internet on the notebook via wifi.
Not much else new, sounds of artillery are close. No direct hits on our district (around 30 residential buildings - 5 to 9 stores). But some hits nearby - in particular oncology center nearby - a big loss. It is close to aviation plant and probably was hit as a "miss", but nonetheless. My wife had a surgery there 2 years ago. It is 20 minutes on feet from me. Across the city there are plenty of hits on civilian buildings and infrastructure. But of course I haven't seen it myself - it is in the local telegram channels.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

I have a lot of friends of course here in Ukraine. Some, who could leave - left for Western Ukraine or if they are allowed - to Europe. But majority is still here. Civilians are hostages of the situation. The decision to block the possibility to leave for all men 18-60 seems questionable to me. Has it ever happened in "democratic" countries?
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

mick1303 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:26 am I have a lot of friends of course here in Ukraine. Some, who could leave - left for Western Ukraine or if they are allowed - to Europe. But majority is still here. Civilians are hostages of the situation. The decision to block the possibility to leave for all men 18-60 seems questionable to me. Has it ever happened in "democratic" countries?
I can't say that I remember such a rule being enforced in the 2nd World War. That was the last time that the Western democratic countries were facing invasion, but so many of those invasions went so quickly it wouldn't have made a difference, plus the whole idea that people would just be allowed to leave their country for another was different 80 years ago. In Canada we had conscription during the 2nd World War, and the US had conscription during the Vietnam War. A neighbour of my family when I was a kid was a draft dodger from the US during the '70's, and would have been arrested had he returned to the US.
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

mick1303 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:26 am IThe decision to block the possibility to leave for all men 18-60 seems questionable to me.
I understand why Ukraine is doing this, but indeed it does seem questionable. Forcing citizens to fight who have had not military training and may not even be properly armed is sending them to their deaths for sure. I was just reading of a town center (possibly in Mariupol? I'm not sure) in which 49 citizens armed with molotov cocktails were gunned down by Russian troops.

And of course as you said, families are either being forced to split up or entire families choosing to stay who would otherwise have left.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

You may want to keep the able bodied, young men not just for military action. They can be of help in other areas: carry a stretcher, if trained in some craft, repair things, assist in Search and Rescue (digging through rubble).
Yes, a tough call, but not necessarily without reason.
---0---
Thanks for posting, Mick. We are pending on your posts, both to get information and know how you are doing.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

mick1303 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:25 am March 5th update.
There is no wired Internet, but mobile is still somewhat working in my fathers apartment. His has windows on the opposite site from mine apartment. I arranged my phone near the window in modem mode and have Internet on the notebook via wifi.
Not much else new, sounds of artillery are close. No direct hits on our district (around 30 residential buildings - 5 to 9 stores). But some hits nearby - in particular oncology center nearby - a big loss. It is close to aviation plant and probably was hit as a "miss", but nonetheless. My wife had a surgery there 2 years ago. It is 20 minutes on feet from me. Across the city there are plenty of hits on civilian buildings and infrastructure. But of course I haven't seen it myself - it is in the local telegram channels.
Ny "like" was of course for you being alright not the scary situation you are in.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

mick1303 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:25 am March 5th update.
Mick, would you mind sharing your neighborhood name? I've been following pretty closely and just want to be aware.

I hope you are still alright and also that you have a connection, I know new areas of Kharkiv were hit overnight.