Russian Invasion of Ukraine

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This is a serious question. Is NEXTA a trustworthy news source?
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:53 pm This is a serious question. Is NEXTA a trustworthy news source?
It's labelled an extremist organization by the Belarusian government so that would seem to be a vote in it's favour.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/be ... 021-10-29/
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:53 pm This is a serious question. Is NEXTA a trustworthy news source?
I've been using it (the Russian/Ukrainian version on Telegram). It's ok. It's an aggregator of sorts but they don't always credit the original source. But I haven't seen anything questionable there that hasn't been reported by other sources.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:11 pm Some news going around that a Russian commando got trapped inside an elevator when they were trying to reach the rooftop of a building to get into sniper position, but the manager of the building cut the power when they were inside.
I can't say if it is a real story, but an internet search gives multiple hits.
I saw a security camera photo, although of course you can't tell if they're moving in it!
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Craig Shapiro Tennis Poscast interviewed Stako last night for his podcast. It’s up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:37 pm
Suliso wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:47 pm This is very different. Those are our neighbors in deep trouble. Syrians or Eritreans are not.
No, it is not very different. You just don't want to see it.
Looking at all the #StandWithRussia type posts... although I obviously can't support them saying it's ok what Russia is doing... a lot of the examples of the hypocrisy they use, such as the example above, I can't disagree with. But two wrongs of course don't make a right. But we can't turn a blind eye to the wrongs "we" did either.

Although I at least haven't seen too much bad from Canada fortunately, although I'm sure we're not 100% perfect either.
:steven:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The "Perfect Purity" test is never a good one. I talk about that when I am in Argentina and they start talking about the "Evil USA", the empire that is satanic to the core. The moment I start talking about their treatment and historical behavior towards their native populations (the Argentinean's) things go bad, as they then have selective amnesia. Or, as you say, hypocrisy.
No, you can't turn a blind eye to the wrongs you have done, as can't any country. But if we are to judge everybody for what they did a century ago, two centuries ago, or through history, then nobody escapes the label of "evil". History is too long. We would certainly be calling Germany evil (1930-1945), the Japanese evil (ditto, plus their history in the region in their relationship with China and Korea), Belgium (Belgium Congo), the Spaniards (all of south America) and on and on.
Hypocrisy is a tool in the political box. It is used everywhere. But slowly, it is used a bit less in some places. And in your countries, the important thing is that some people get to call it out. Not outside people, people from within. A small step towards progress.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Is San Marino one of those tax shelter/money washing places and they haven't been nice to his boys?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:30 pm ...

Is San Marino one of those tax shelter/money washing places and they haven't been nice to his boys?
Yes. San Marino is part of that large axis of small tax havens: San Marino, Andorra, Monaco, The Cayman Islands, London, Panama, on and on. Who knows what they did to fall under the wrath of Vlad.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Well there ya go, was just saying Canada hadn't been pointed out yet .. ;)

:steven:

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

What is up with t his "Z" symbol? I don't want to post pics here but men's gymnastics is in an uproar because the third place finisher in a weekend competition had one plastered on his kit.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:32 pm What is up with t his "Z" symbol? I don't want to post pics here but men's gymnastics is in an uproar because the third place finisher in a weekend competition had one plastered on his kit.
I don't know the origin but t's emerged as the symbol that you support the war.