Wimbledon Predictions

Topics and everything related to this test of skill

Moderator: Contest Staff

3mlm United States of America

Wimbledon Predictions

Post by 3mlm »

This contest is open to all TAT members who wish to participate. You can sign up by submitting picks for the current tournament. All information for the contest is in THIS TOPIC: viewtopic.php?p=35700#p35700.

There is only one tournament to predict for the next two weeks for both the ATP and WTA: Wimbledon. Don’t forget to pick the winners of the Men’s, Women’s and Mixed Doubles along with the regular predictions.

Predictions are due:

ATP, WTA and Doubles Winners

SUN 7/3 Wimbledon 11:00 am; GMT 10:00 am; EST 6:00 am; PST 3:00 am.

Please see instructions for submitting picks in this topic: viewtopic.php?p=35700#p35700.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Wimbledon Predictions

Post by ponchi101 »

Shouldn't the deadlines for predictions be for MONDAY, as there is no play on Sunday at Wimbledon?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

They play on middle Sunday Now (I think.)
:steven:
3mlm United States of America

Post by 3mlm »

ptmcmahon wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:22 pm They play on middle Sunday Now (I think.)
According to the schedule published on the 2022 Wimbledon site they do play on the middle Sunday, as well as the last Sunday, and that's the first day of the fourth round matches.
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

This is the first year of play on Middle Sunday.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Bumping to keep fresh in all of our minds (especially mine!)
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

bump...middle sunday coming up!
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

I don't really understand this contest although it seems like fun. Is this open for new members like me or just members that started at the beginning of the season? Also where do you actually make your prediction picks? I don't see where that is.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:30 pm I don't really understand this contest although it seems like fun. Is this open for new members like me or just members that started at the beginning of the season? Also where do you actually make your prediction picks? I don't see where that is.
It is a very simply game: you have to predict, starting from the 4R, the winners at each stage. Example: you look at all the 4R matches, and must predict the 8 QF players, then Semis, Finals and winner:
Example:
C$C: Rybakina/Badosa/Halep/Tan/Jabeur/Anisimova/Garcia/Maria/Badosa/tan/Anisimova/Maria/Tan/Maria/Tan

I hope you can see the pattern.
At our banner, you have a LINK to Predictions. That is the initial link FOR WIMBY, and from there, you can see a further link with more complete instructions.
The contest is OPEN. If you want to, you can post picks; however, you will, most likely, not medal because we have a full 1/2 year of lead on you (although you seem to be good at predicting upsets ;) ). However, if you want to place a team, and just play for fun and practice for next year (if you want to enter then) you can. Also, you may want to do it just to see if you can win one week here and there. The contests is open every week when there are tournaments played.
Let us know, in this topic, if you have more questions.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:46 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:30 pm I don't really understand this contest although it seems like fun. Is this open for new members like me or just members that started at the beginning of the season? Also where do you actually make your prediction picks? I don't see where that is.
It is a very simply game: you have to predict, starting from the 4R, the winners at each stage. Example: you look at all the 4R matches, and must predict the 8 QF players, then Semis, Finals and winner:
Example:
C$C: Rybakina/Badosa/Halep/Tan/Jabeur/Anisimova/Garcia/Maria/Badosa/tan/Anisimova/Maria/Tan/Maria/Tan

At our banner, you have a LINK to Predictions. That is the initial link FOR WIMBY, and from there, you can see a further link with more complete instructions.
The contest is OPEN. If you want to, you can post picks; however, you will, most likely, not medal because we have a full 1/2 year of lead on you (although you seem to be good at predicting upsets ;) ). However, if you want to place a team, and just play for fun and practice for next year (if you want to enter then) you can. Also, you may want to do it just to see if you can win one week here and there. The contests is open every week when there are tournaments played.
Thank You, I now understand how to do it but I still do not know where to post my predictions. I am looking for a thread where other members may have posted their predictions but I cannot find it. Do I just post it in this thread?

Never mind, I think I just read in the instructions that you have to e-mail the predictions in. Is that correct?
dave g United States of America

Post by dave g »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:56 pm
Example:

Thank You, I now understand how to do it but I still do not know where to post my predictions. I am looking for a thread where other members may have posted their predictions but I cannot find it. Do I just post it in this thread?
Part 1. You send your picks to 3mlm using a Private message.
Part 2. This is a year-long contest, so you can only really join it at the beginning of the year. And you will be expected to make predicitons every week of the tennis season; or at least every week with a tournament, exhibitions are usually ignored.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

dave g wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:02 am
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:56 pm

Example:

Part 1. You send your picks to 3mlm using a Private message.
Part 2. This is a year-long contest, so you can only really join it at the beginning of the year. And you will be expected to make predicitons every week of the tennis season; or at least every week with a tournament, exhibitions are usually ignored.
Making the picks is not a problem at all. I just didn't know how to do it. It says on the instructions to e-mail them. I was confused. I might just wait until the beginning of next season and just stick with the SP.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:04 am Making the picks is not a problem at all. I just didn't know how to do it. It says on the instructions to e-mail them. I was confused. I might just wait until the beginning of next season and just stick with the SP.
I myself rarely do picks in the "less important" weeks, so there is no harm in joining mid year - just don't expect to win anything since the contests are season long. :) But it still can be fun and you can still win a "week" of predictions. If you want to do it next year for the whole year, sure wouldn't hurt to practice a few times too to get used to it.

There are a couple of sub-prediction contest - like the ATP Race to Turin, where only the top tournaments count. Those are the ones I try not to miss. Of course, still too late in the year to contend in those too, but I find it fits my personal schedule much better.

The hard part about predictions is that the year long contest is every (real) tournament and all have different deadlines based on when the tournament reaches round of 16. It can be very hard to be on top of every single deadline. One year, I lost the yearly ATP contest by one match - and I had one missed tournament early in the year that wound up coming back to haunt me. It doesn't happen as often for me now since I'm only doing the "big" tournaments, but years ago there were many times I'd wake up, panic, and rush to the computer to see if I still had time to get predictions in on time :) Heck, I did that one day in the SP this week too. And this is coming from someone who ran predictions for a year!

You can also resubmit your picks, which is very helpful for not missing deadlines. For example, I submitted picks Friday night, but just went and re-did them. I don't like Swiatek's chances of winning as much now.
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

the Moz wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:18 pm This is the first year of play on Middle Sunday.
Pardon me, this is the first year of planned play on Middle Sunday.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ptmcmahon wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:50 am
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:04 am Making the picks is not a problem at all. I just didn't know how to do it. It says on the instructions to e-mail them. I was confused. I might just wait until the beginning of next season and just stick with the SP.
I myself rarely do picks in the "less important" weeks, so there is no harm in joining mid year - just don't expect to win anything since the contests are season long. :) But it still can be fun and you can still win a "week" of predictions. If you want to do it next year for the whole year, sure wouldn't hurt to practice a few times too to get used to it.

There are a couple of sub-prediction contest - like the ATP Race to Turin, where only the top tournaments count. Those are the ones I try not to miss. Of course, still too late in the year to contend in those too, but I find it fits my personal schedule much better.

The hard part about predictions is that the year long contest is every (real) tournament and all have different deadlines based on when the tournament reaches round of 16. It can be very hard to be on top of every single deadline. One year, I lost the yearly ATP contest by one match - and I had one missed tournament early in the year that wound up coming back to haunt me. It doesn't happen as often for me now since I'm only doing the "big" tournaments, but years ago there were many times I'd wake up, panic, and rush to the computer to see if I still had time to get predictions in on time :) Heck, I did that one day in the SP this week too. And this is coming from someone who ran predictions for a year!

You can also resubmit your picks, which is very helpful for not missing deadlines. For example, I submitted picks Friday night, but just went and re-did them. I don't like Swiatek's chances of winning as much now.
Thank You, it might be too late now since today's matches have already started but Oh well. I will definitely get on this when the season starts next year or maybe give it a go at the US Open.