The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Post by ti-amie »

Translated from Spanish by Google
"It has been a brutal experience, but right now I understand that I am not the right person to help him"

David Ferrer explains in @PuntoDBreak the reasons that led him not to continue with Zverev
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
mmmm8

Re: The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Post by mmmm8 »

Great news. Ferrer is a really nice, sweet guy from everything I've seen, this wasn't a good association for him.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

BTW. In Spanish, BRUTAL can be also used as a compliment. It is regular slang. You can go to a "brutal concert", meaning it was great. He played a "brutal game", meaning he was awesome.
In the short sentence, and without more context, it can be BRUTAL in both cases.

On the other hand. How come this forum knew this would not last, and David could not see it?
Who is next for David? I believe he can be a great coach, if he finds the talented player that needs to polish his skills.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:16 pm Who is next for David? I believe he can be a great coach, if he finds the talented player that needs to polish his skills.
One obvious association would be Schwartzman, if he and Chela separate at some point. Ferrer and Schwartzman are quite similar - both small counter-punchers who run every ball down... That's not a guarantee that the coaching relationship would work, of course... but it would seem to be a good fit.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

mmmm8 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:12 pm Great news. Ferrer is a really nice, sweet guy from everything I've seen, this wasn't a good association for him.
I assume you're talking about everything going on with Sascha and not the coaching? Please share if you know something else, maybe I missed something, because by all accounts from both, this was a great coaching relationship that both found to be working very well.

From David's words this appears to be much more about David having a young family and not wanting to travel as much right now with everything going on.

Next coaching gig- David's comments suggested there won't be another coaching relationship right now. That he'll focus on the Barcelona Open and his family. After the pandemic is over or at least travel restrictions ease greatly might be the soonest we seem him coaching again.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

@Deuce. I have always felt that the best coaches are the ones that do not play like you do. David, I believe, would not be good for Diego because indeed they are so similar: undersized counterpunchers that relied on their physicality.
If a certain Aussie player that oozes talent were to decide to take this game seriously, David would be the perfect coach. Teach him work ethics, the mental aspect of not giving up when you are down, of keeping calm when you are up. Better training, and better shot selection.
And of course, any young Spaniard would benefit incredibly.
He has options. Actually, many. He is as respected as any recently retired player can be.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:49 pm @Deuce. I have always felt that the best coaches are the ones that do not play like you do. David, I believe, would not be good for Diego because indeed they are so similar: undersized counterpunchers that relied on their physicality.
If a certain Aussie player that oozes talent were to decide to take this game seriously, David would be the perfect coach. Teach him work ethics, the mental aspect of not giving up when you are down, of keeping calm when you are up. Better training, and better shot selection.
And of course, any young Spaniard would benefit incredibly.
He has options. Actually, many. He is as respected as any recently retired player can be.
Yeah, I think he'd be a great coach for a teen local player (or players) - lots to teach about professionalism and limited need for travel.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:49 am
mmmm8 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:12 pm Great news. Ferrer is a really nice, sweet guy from everything I've seen, this wasn't a good association for him.
I assume you're talking about everything going on with Sascha and not the coaching? Please share if you know something else, maybe I missed something, because by all accounts from both, this was a great coaching relationship that both found to be working very well.

From David's words this appears to be much more about David having a young family and not wanting to travel as much right now with everything going on.

Next coaching gig- David's comments suggested there won't be another coaching relationship right now. That he'll focus on the Barcelona Open and his family. After the pandemic is over or at least travel restrictions ease greatly might be the soonest we seem him coaching again.

I meant all the off-court stuff. I can't imagine that Zverev's personal mess (especially since his family is involved with his tennis) didn't spill over into the coaching relationship.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

I guess Stefan Korda worked with Agassi during the offseason. That might be a fun pairing if it happened.

Post by JazzNU »

JTContinental wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:25 pm I guess Stefan Korda worked with Agassi during the offseason. That might be a fun pairing if it happened.
Yes, he spent 2 weeks in Vegas and going by the pictures he posted and the words he used, sounds like it was both Andre and Steffi working with him.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Awesome--looks like it paid off too

Post by JazzNU »

I completely missed that Sam Sumyk was coaching Donna Vekic. Hope this works out for her, given everything we've heard and seen of him, feels like it might not be the healthiest of pairings.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

He seems to carry a "Poison" sign with him.

Post by JazzNU »

Not sure of his role on the team or if this is short or long term.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Is it me or does David look actually thinner than when he was on tour? Looks pretty fit :thumbsup: