Laver Cup

Davis Cup, BJK Cup, ATP Cup, Olympics and Laver cup, plus maybe a few others
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Laver Cup

Post by ponchi101 »

Oh, if you meant having the UK as THE WORLD, to make it more balanced, maybe.
I wonder how the UK would feel about being labeled "Rest of the World". Not sure if they would take it kindly.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Honor where honor is due. It has not been a walk in the park.

Edit. That was an understatement (I am getting to be good about those). A good win for The World. Now this becomes interesting.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

There's been a lot of haters on here about the Laver Cup because supposedly Team World had no chance of winning. I do hope that's no longer the main discussion point when this tournament is mentioned.

Congrats to Team World. Almost did it a few years ago when they had no business being that competitive, but this year, much less of a surprise, but still an underdog win. Nicely done.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

So glad Tiafoe got a moment like that. And FAA stepped up big time. McEnroe is beside himself. Imagine if they'd had Kyrgios. Crossed my mind a couple times that he basically wasn't invited to this party. Did Tommy Paul play or was the the alternate? I like him a lot now. This was a good team and will be even stronger when they bring in the women.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:27 pm There's been a lot of haters on here about the Laver Cup because supposedly Team World had no chance of winning. I do hope that's no longer the main discussion point when this tournament is mentioned.

Congrats to Team World. Almost did it a few years ago when they had no business being that competitive, but this year, much less of a surprise, but still an underdog win. Nicely done.
But in the poll, you yourself also chose A WALK IN THE PARK for team Europe. So, when we have an opinion about a possible result and it gets proven wrong, we become haters? I don't think that people here "hate" this event.
Until this year, this had been an event clearly dominated by Europe. This is a good turn, as it now becomes a more balanced event.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I still say that this event is scripted - like other exhibitions.
Every year, there are a large number of matches that go the distance. Again this year, we saw several 'match tiebreaks' for the 3rd set...

It looks to me that it's scripted to be dramatic and captivating (and therefore more profitable in $$).
Sorry, but I just can't buy into it.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I didn't watch any of it. The photo's and video I posted are the closest I got to watching.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

There were some good matches.
The Roger/Rafa match was emotional, although not very good quality. It was a good send off, although of course, it would have been better for them to win.
Novak went out flat today, and Felix played well.
I also watched Tiafoe/Stefanos, which ended up being high quality after the first set.
It's an exo, but they play seriously for it.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:48 pm
JazzNU wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:27 pm There's been a lot of haters on here about the Laver Cup because supposedly Team World had no chance of winning. I do hope that's no longer the main discussion point when this tournament is mentioned.

But in the poll, you yourself also chose A WALK IN THE PARK for team Europe. So, when we have an opinion about a possible result and it gets proven wrong, we become haters? I don't think that people here "hate" this event.
Until this year, this had been an event clearly dominated by Europe. This is a good turn, as it now becomes a more balanced event.

That was last year's poll, which was indeed a walk in the park for Team Europe. And I was hardly someone pushing the this tournament is ridiculous narrative. I've been defending that it has value for some time, last year included despite what I thought the result would be.

And Team World almost won before this year, came within one match of doing so. Feels like most here act like that never happened, which is just strange at this point. It clearly isn't just about the rankings or Jack Sock wouldn't be one the most valuable World team members in the short history of the event.

And I disagree, there's a lot of haters on here where this event is concerned. Seem to be hoping for it's demise. And saying haters doesn't mean they actually have to hate the event, more like, they are overly negative or critical about it, which is what I've seen.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Somebody here said Jack Sock is the best doubles player in the world..I was surprised when I saw that comment but now I see that was right ...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:44 am ...

That was last year's poll, which was indeed a walk in the park for Team Europe. And I was hardly someone pushing the this tournament is ridiculous narrative. I've been defending that it has value for some time, last year included despite what I thought the result would be.

And Team World almost won before this year, came within one match of doing so. Feels like most here act like that never happened, which is just strange at this point. It clearly isn't just about the rankings or Jack Sock wouldn't be one the most valuable World team members in the short history of the event.

And I disagree, there's a lot of haters on here where this event is concerned. Seem to be hoping for it's demise. And saying haters doesn't mean they actually have to hate the event, more like, they are overly negative or critical about it, which is what I've seen.
I thought I had reset the poll. My bad.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »