Politics Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Owendonovan United States of America

Re: Politics Random, Random

Post by Owendonovan »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:41 pm
Owendonovan wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:24 pm "House Republicans have introduced legislation that some critics are describing as a national "Don't Say Gay" bill – inspired by the controversial Florida law that bans instruction on gender identity and sexual orientation in kindergarten through third grade classes."
https://www.npr.org/2022/10/21/11302971 ... ation-bill

Such a hateful group of people. Grooming their children to hate every Sunday at the grooming center they call the house of the lord. The GOP has never, in my 55 years, given me a reason to respect anything they say or do.
Serious here, I want your opinion.
As you point out, "grooming" is done on a weekly or daily basis at churches and other religious locations. That is accepted by society (and something that I do not agree with, as you may guess).
But, about sexuality. At what age is it appropriate to start a conversation with young people regarding sex, gender, identities and sexuality? It is not an easy subject.
For example, in Venezuela, and during my high school years, there was a subject specifically about sex; but it centered on biology and reproduction (this was the 70's, after all) so no "modern" ideas were even in the book. But, as I was in an Opus Dei school, the "teaching" was done under a religious focus, meaning it was aimed and telling us that all about sex was wrong. Needless to say, it certainly caused more harm than good.
Again: when should children start having a conversation about sex?
Txs
Sex and sexuality are 2 very different things and should be treated so. I personally think that sexuality can be discussed at any age. I don't think sex necessarily needs be discussed until it's asked about. There are enough 10 year olds, and some younger, who are starting puberty. I think if you're pubic, you should likely learn about sex, because that's where those little hairs are leading you.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:41 pm
Owendonovan wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:24 pm "House Republicans have introduced legislation that some critics are describing as a national "Don't Say Gay" bill – inspired by the controversial Florida law that bans instruction on gender identity and sexual orientation in kindergarten through third grade classes."
https://www.npr.org/2022/10/21/11302971 ... ation-bill

Such a hateful group of people. Grooming their children to hate every Sunday at the grooming center they call the house of the lord. The GOP has never, in my 55 years, given me a reason to respect anything they say or do.
Serious here, I want your opinion.
As you point out, "grooming" is done on a weekly or daily basis at churches and other religious locations. That is accepted by society (and something that I do not agree with, as you may guess).
But, about sexuality. At what age is it appropriate to start a conversation with young people regarding sex, gender, identities and sexuality? It is not an easy subject.
For example, in Venezuela, and during my high school years, there was a subject specifically about sex; but it centered on biology and reproduction (this was the 70's, after all) so no "modern" ideas were even in the book. But, as I was in an Opus Dei school, the "teaching" was done under a religious focus, meaning it was aimed and telling us that all about sex was wrong. Needless to say, it certainly caused more harm than good.
Again: when should children start having a conversation about sex?
Txs
It was a LONG time ago--back when I was in college and taking an elective Government course. Each student had to pick a public policy topic, research it, and then present about it to the class. I chose sex education, just because it was a fundamentalist college. And I felt like ruffling features.

The general consensus at the time was that sex education should begin at a very young age, but the type of education changes over time as a child grows and develops. With very young kids, let's say around age 5 (if not sooner), they should be taught that it's okay to feel that your body is your private territory. It's okay not to want to let other children or adults touch you in a way that is uncomfortable or inappropriate. It's okay to establish boundaries about who can touch you. And of course, you should grant the same level of respect and privacy toward other children. And if someone touches you in an inappropriate way, it's okay to tell someone you trust. In today's age, I would add this is probably a good time to introduce the concept of respecting difference and acknowledging that not everyone is expected to be the same.

And then it goes from there. Perhaps around 10 or 12, children should have those same messages reinforced and then go a step further and introduce the topics of puberty, human anatomy, and reproduction. That's not too soon. This would probably be a good time to introduce the dangers associated with rigid, unmoving gender roles. (Boys aren't the only ones who will grow up to take out the garbage or do an oil change on the car, and girls aren't the only ones who will grow up to cook dinner or do the laundry.)

And so on. At some point, maybe around 14 or so, you could introduce the concept of gender identity, healthy and age-appropriate sexuality, what truly constitutes consent, why it's wrong to pressure another for sex, etc. And then you just keep reinforcing all of these things and answering questions without judgment as a young person continues to grow, develop, and process their own sexuality.

The main thing is to shift the mentality that sex is a dirty subject. Sex and sexuality are normal and healthy and can be a beautiful experience when two people equally share control over their sexual activity.
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

That's well said, entirely sensible, and quite harmless, Dry. Unfortunately, religion.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Txs to both. Which I did.
It is one subject I believe right now, can only be discussed in person. Too many nuances, and very complex. Dry, your post is very helpful, but I would not consider myself to be able to express my positions clearly in less than 5,000 words.
Roughly.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

In case you missed it, John Fetterman almost certainly lost his Senate race during last night's debate. There were times when he sounded exactly like someone who had a stroke. His brain is fine. But the average Pennsylvania voter probably will not be able to look past his lingering auditory and speech problems. He went into the debate, at best, only 1-2 points ahead in the polling. A lot of polls already had it 50/50 going in.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Dry it seems that Dr. Oz said that abortion is between a woman, her doctor and her local politicians. That's all I'm seeing but maybe I follow the wrong people.

Fetterman's campaign just put this out.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Yes, Oz said something to that effect. The Washington Post synopsis shows that both candidates had good moments. The lowest point for Fetterman was the fracking question. (Not to mention I'm not a fan of fracking so I don't like his answer.) Politico had a pretty good written synopsis as well that gets more into what's physically happening with Fetterman: https://www.politico.com/news/2022/10/2 ... z-00063467

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The same people that will not pass ANY legislation regulating guns' ownership, will impeach somebody because he has shown "dereliction of duty" when fighting crime.
Ok. Whatever you say, Jack.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Who is on his staff? They're supposed to brief him on stuff like this.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:19 pm Who is on his staff? They're supposed to brief him on stuff like this.
I assume it was unscripted. If it was scripted, that's really, really bad.