World News Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: World News Random, Random

Post by ponchi101 »

Reports that Vermeer's "Girl with the pearl earring" was attacked by climate activists. This joins the attack on a Monet (Germany) and Van Gogh's "Sunflowers" at the London's National Gallery.
Serious here: is this a valid way to bring attention to climate change problems?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:48 am Reports that Vermeer's "Girl with the pearl earring" was attacked by climate activists. This joins the attack on a Monet (Germany) and Van Gogh's "Sunflowers" at the London's National Gallery.
Serious here: is this a valid way to bring attention to climate change problems?
No.
I am all in favour of bringing attention to environmental issues - because if human and animal life is to continue on this planet, humans must learn to be much less selfish than we've been over the past 100 years or so... but to try to bring attention to the issue in this manner is to enact the very juvenile (and stupid) philosophies of the ends justifying the means, and of 'any publicity is good publicity'.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

About Pakistan: to the best of my knowledge no Pakistani prime minister has ever served his/her entire term in office. Also they're completely obsessed with India as an enemy. Most Indians are just laughing about it.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:48 am Reports that Vermeer's "Girl with the pearl earring" was attacked by climate activists. This joins the attack on a Monet (Germany) and Van Gogh's "Sunflowers" at the London's National Gallery.
Maybe if they were throwing food at Charles Koch.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The death toll is now up to around 140+ in Seoul night club tragedy. The street where it occurred looked like this before the problems started.

picture via @allkpop

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Translated from Spanish by Google

Latin America is closely watching the presidential elections in Brazil, the region's most populous democracy. For this reason, The New York Times offers Spanish-speaking readers its coverage also in Spanish.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

They're everywhere!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

A typical L. American case of "devil and the deep blue see", "the fire or the frying pan", etc.
We will never stop being a cesspool.
Having said that, I would vote for Lula, if a gun were pointed at my head to choose. Bolsanaro is a disgrace.
(Lula is not that great, either).

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:45 pm A typical L. American case of "devil and the deep blue see", "the fire or the frying pan", etc.
We will never stop being a cesspool.
Having said that, I would vote for Lula, if a gun were pointed at my head to choose. Bolsanaro is a disgrace.
(Lula is not that great, either).
I would vote for Lula too but with the caveat you mention. It's the same choice here in New York State. I'm not a big fan of our governor but she has worked hard and gotten herself up to speed about the issues that are important to us downstaters and hasn't just stayed in her lane for want of a better analogy. If I don't vote for her there's a chance that lunatic Zeldin gets in and shuts down all the the Legal Cases against TFG.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Brazilian Twitter is very excited right now.

#URGENTE : LULA (PT) IS ELECTED PRESIDENT, PROJECTS DATAFOLHA. READ MORE IN http://FOLHA.COM #Eleições2022

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Good news as far as I can understand from the other side of the globe.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Uhm...
Lula is a convicted felon, charged with several counts of corruption. I said it above: this was one truly "lesser of two evils" election.