World News Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: World News Random, Random

Post by ti-amie »

Someone in another thread mentioned China?

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

He just looks more stoic. But in reality, Xi is as insane as the very best.
And we will pay for the brilliant Reaganomics idea of having EVERYTHING manufactured in China.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:23 pm He just looks more stoic. But in reality, Xi is as insane as the very best.
And we will pay for the brilliant Reaganomics idea of having EVERYTHING manufactured in China.
I would argue that continuing supply chain issues are proof enough that Reaganomics, like trickle-down, was a hoax created to benefit the 1%.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The history of the 20th century should be by now written. And, to me, there are two towering figures that are venerated by people and that in reality created great distortions and were two terrible politicians: Reagan and Thatcher.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:28 pm The history of the 20th century should be by now written. And, to me, there are two towering figures that are venerated by people and that in reality created great distortions and were two terrible politicians: Reagan and Thatcher.
No lies seen.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Tony Ingesson
@tonyingesson
For my English-speaking intel/security people, here's a summary thread re. the GRU espionage case in Sweden that is getting significant media coverage here today:

Two brothers, Peyman Kia and Payam Kia, have today been charged with espionage on behalf of a foreign power. The exact charge is "grovt spioneri", meaning that it is a particularly serious form of espionage (in the sense that it can be assumed to have inflicted serious damage).

The older brother, Peyman, has been employed by both the Swedish Security Service (the agency responsible for counterintelligence) as well as military intelligence. According to media sources, Peyman has served in the most sensitive department in military intelligence, KSI.

The younger brother, Payam, is charged with having assisted his older sibling by handling the connections with the GRU as well as having received money and gold in payment.

As is often the case with counterintelligence investigations, this one has been years in the making. The investigation was initiated in 2017, and the brothers were arrested in September 2021. They have been detained ever since, awaiting trial.

The fact that Peyman had left the Security Service for a less sensitive position at the Swedish Food Agency probably meant that there was less time pressure to make the arrests. The head of the Swedish Food Agency was contacted in 2018 and was aware of the investigation.
I haven't read all the documentation released today yet, but it looks like a pretty solid case. Multiple computers, encryption software, USB sticks and phones have been secured, as well as evidence of transactions involving money.

There's also evidence suggesting that the brothers had made plans regarding significant monetary transactions involving cash and gold, methods for clandestinely receiving compensation, back-up plans, escape plans, etc.

Forensic analysis of a computer also shows that Peyman has photographed or duplicated classified documents in a conspiratorial manner. These documents have also been traced to printouts made by Peyman himself from the Security Service computer system.

The younger brother tried to destroy evidence by breaking apart a hard drive and throwing it away in a trash bin, but surveillance immediately detected this and the hard drive was secured.

I'm going to continue to look into this case, but from the looks of it, this could be one of the worst espionage cases in Swedish contemporary history, up there with Stig Bergling and Stig Wennerström.

On a side note, I've started reading the transcriptions of the interrogations of Peyman. It's quite chilling how he at first refuses to say anything at all, then a few days later is all charm and honestly quite persuasive in his explanations.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1591 ... 58049.html
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Swedish interrogation methods:
"Mr. Guilty, we want to ask you a few questions.
Nope.
Uh... Ok."

Swedish interrogation? :?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:16 pm Swedish interrogation methods:
"Mr. Guilty, we want to ask you a few questions.
Nope.
Uh... Ok."

Swedish interrogation? :?
I guess there's no polite way to use truncheons and other assorted torture devices.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I remember once seeing a documentary about a Norwegian "prison".
I have been in worse hotels in my life. IN THE USA.
So I guess the concept of advanced interrogation techniques is simply putting you in a room and blast "Dancing Queen" over speakers for hours.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:46 pm I remember once seeing a documentary about a Norwegian "prison".
I have been in worse hotels in my life. IN THE USA.
So I guess the concept of advanced interrogation techniques is simply putting you in a room and blast "Dancing Queen" over speakers for hours.
Ponchi, you had no call to be so insulting to one of the greatest anthems of all time, especially when you had other treasures such as "Ice, Ice Baby," "My Humps," and "Friday" so readily at your disposal. ;)

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Casablanca shocked
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Been enough in the Gulf. Don't be mistaken. Everybody there hates the USA.
The propping of the Saudi regime, and the support of the Israeli Govt, no matter what, makes it a tough sell down there.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Also you can't possibly say that US is not medling in politics of the Gulf countries...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »