With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Politics Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
JazzNU United States of America

Re: Politics Random, Random

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:24 pm

Yeah, it's his size that did it. Not that other thing. Come now. He ran on a touch on crime/crime reform message and embarrassingly could back it up. His getting sick actually aided him on this front, he wasn't truly grilled after the primary debates on his very shaky past actions and shifting storyline because he was MIA for a very long time and then clearly not in the best of health when he finally was out and it wouldn't have been a good look to attack him fiercely.

Glad he won. But the painting of him like he's some fantastic candidate who ran a great campaign is a complete joke.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

dryrunguy wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:26 am
Seriously. Who woulda thunk it? I still want Warnock, though. Which from time to time could make Manchin or Sinema irrelevant.
And because Warnock is great and qualified and Walker has no business even sniffing a Senate seat. He desperately needs to spend his time addressing his CTE.
patrick United States of America

Post by patrick »

Suliso wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:38 am Hopefully Trump still runs in 2024.
Why, other than to see him and DeSantis trade jabs?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

patrick wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:07 pm
Suliso wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:38 am Hopefully Trump still runs in 2024.
Why, other than to see him and DeSantis trade jabs?
Because Trump is beatable, DeSantis offers a slight veneer of "not lunacy".
Trump will run and most likely will hold the GOP hostage. If he runs as a GOP, he will tell them "you choose me or I will run as an independent, and will bring you down".
I agree with Suliso here. DeSsantis will beat Biden (or any other dem). But Biden will beat Trump, because this election proves that his persona has caught up with him. Only the most unhinged groups remain with him.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I don't know if DeSantis would beat a Democrat candidate, but I'm pretty sure Trump would not.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Who do the dems have, other than Biden? Bernie, Warren, Klobechar, Pete? Non viable.
Unless Biden rights up the economy, I don't think he wins reelection. And you know I have posted he has been very, very good. But I don't buy groceries in the USA.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Sitting presidents are rarely defeated these days. One has to be as terrible as Trump to accomplish that. Anyway economic situation in late 2024 is completely unknown.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:21 pm Who do the dems have, other than Biden? Bernie, Warren, Klobechar, Pete? Non viable.
Unless Biden rights up the economy, I don't think he wins reelection. And you know I have posted he has been very, very good. But I don't buy groceries in the USA.
We spent $533 on groceries last week. And we didn't buy anything extravagant. Just the usual stuff. Everything is crazy expensive. And everything is far cheaper here than you would find in major metropolitan areas. Honestly, I don't know how folks on limited or fixed incomes are managing.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

For how long will these groceries last you dry? Here in Switzerland we pay ca 150 $ per week (two people). We do eat out 1-2 days per week + me in the company canteen (8 $ for a lunch). That would be in addition to these 15 $/week.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I would not know about Switzerland. But, here in L. America, inflation is running at a higher pace than the USA. Colombia is looking at 20% this year, with the added problem of a devalued currency. Venezuela is not even worth talking about, as it is a special case. Argentina is in dire straits, and the rest of the continent is the same.
It is a worldwide problem, based on issues other than internal politics. But, of course, the believe that the GOP will be able to handle inflation better is ludicrous. We know what they will do: another tax cut for the rich, and nothing else.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Switzerland still not so bad - about 3% this year, expected ca 2% next year.

At this rate US will soon be more expensive than here.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Suliso wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:12 pm For how long will these groceries last you dry? Here in Switzerland we pay ca 150 $ per week (two people). We do eat out 1-2 days per week + me in the company canteen (8 $ for a lunch). That would be in addition to these 15 $/week.
We generally go about 2 1/2-3 weeks between trips to the grocery store. But between that time, we do have to stock up on additional fresh produce from the Mennonite store (onions, peppers, potatoes, tomatoes, etc.). We have started eating out again, but we only do that about once or twice a month. So we cook a lot.

But compare that to what we were spending on average about 2 years ago. We used to be able to do a full grocery shopping for about $250-$350. And that was without paying much attention to prices. Now, we're watching prices like hawks.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

dryrunguy wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:38 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:21 pm Who do the dems have, other than Biden? Bernie, Warren, Klobechar, Pete? Non viable.
We spent $533 on groceries last week. And we didn't buy anything extravagant. Just the usual stuff. Everything is crazy expensive. And everything is far cheaper here than you would find in major metropolitan areas. Honestly, I don't know how folks on limited or fixed incomes are managing.
$85 at Trader Joes gets me 2 brown bags of groceries which consists of mostly frozen vegetables, salmon, chicken, root vegetables, dairy, eggs, some microwavable TJ products and a few assorted snacks. $85 at my local grocery store gets me maybe 3/4 of a brown bag of groceries.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein