Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

Post by ti-amie »

The folks at Mastodon did not expect what happened to them. They're at 2 million people and counting as of this morning. They've realized that the whole silo/server thing was unwieldy and they've got a few new ones in addition to "world". There is "party" and "green" now too. I think the migration will be slow but steady. I have accounts I never followed with blue checks just appearing in my TL so I've spent a lot of time blocking them today and that is annoying. The bots are making topics trend that are nothing but RW propaganda against people or ideas.

The easiest to use is Tumblr. I think a lot of people already use Reddit and will find no reason to stop doing that. Tribel, a new arrival, just added @handles to its site because again, no one thought Twitter would deteriorate so quickly.

Christopher Clarey just rt'd something he'd posted earlier in the day and he didn't refer his followers to aother site. I added my Mastodon account to my Twitter handle so I guess within the week I'll see if any more people from Tennis Twitter, fans, journalists, tours, etc decide where they're going to migrate to. I should mention that the journalist server is one where you have to apply for permission to join and it seems they're pretty backed up.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

To find out if I'm following him I would have to do a search which could lead to other crap I don't want to deal with.
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

I'll wait until a post of his shows up on my feed, when that happens I'll block him. I've already blocked Eilon.
In the meantime, I've logged off Twitter and removed the bookmark from my computer, since that's where I used it the most, to lessen time spent on the site.
I've left it on my phone for the occasional author checkin. For now.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I blocked him from the above post.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This is a site that a lot of investigative journalists seem to be flocking to.

https://post.news/

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

sтυx⚡
@stux@mstdn.social
Elon's take over of Twitter has set a lot of things into motion in the digital world :amaze:

Tumblr and now also Flickr are thinking about intergrating ActivityPub so it will be able to connect to the Fediverse! :fediverse:

A lot of lay offs in the mainstream social media but the Fediverse is only growing!

The world is waking up :blobcheerwitch: Social media can be fun but also privacy friendly at the same time, you got the proof now!❤️

No billionaires needed ✅

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Elon Musk just decided to bring the worst people on the internet back to Twitter
/ A holiday curse from Twitter’s new CEO.
By T.C. SOTTEK

Nov 24, 2022, 3:32 PM EST|3 Comments / 3 New

https://mastodon.ie/@maddler/109400806274260324

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

https://infosec.exchange/@thezedwards/1 ... 2457444941

Zach Edwards
@thezedwards@infosec.exchange
"A search on Pushwoosh’s code base shows that one of the company’s longtime developers is a 41-year-old from Novosibirsk named Yuri Shmakov. In 2013, KrebsOnSecurity interviewed Shmakov for the story, 'Who Wrote the Pincer Android Trojan?' (https://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/08/who ... id-trojan/) wherein Shmakov acknowledged writing the malware as a freelance project."

The piece goes on to break the news that *NINE* cities in Illinois have been using 311 mobile apps for constituents to report problems, which at one point all had Pushwoosh in them. There were ~22 total apps, and ~17 are still live.

Read "U.S. Govt. Apps Bundled Russian Code With Ties to Mobile Malware Developer"
@ https://krebsonsecurity.com/2022/11/u-s ... developer/ #security #supplychain #android #malware

The cities which used these 311 apps with Pushwoosh embedded into them are:

1. Springfield, IL
2. Sherman, IL
3. Godfrey, IL
4. Christopher, IL
5. Fairbury, IL
6. Sangamon, IL
7. Riverton, IL
8. Carterville, IL
9. Collinsville, IL

And fun fact: the developer of the 311 apps is the current director of the Springfield Office of Budget and Management, and he was former mayor of one of those towns on that list. What a fun second job to have, as a bad developer accidently fronting for Russian interests who actively deceive their own clients and the public.

For years, cities have been paying for mobile apps which were deeply unsafe, and some of the apps from this company are still available, and will send your data to Pushwoosh if you download them. I'd suggest deleting all their apps in case you happen to have one installed, and that company is welcome to try and explain which apps they think are safe, because in the past, they've mistakenly claimed to not work with Pushwoosh anymore, even though live audits of their apps proved otherwise.

There are countless new details in the piece that just dropped, read it now @ https://krebsonsecurity.com/2022/11/u-s ... developer/

The original Reuters piece is @ https://www.reuters.com/technology/exclusi

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Twitter has become more and more unusable. Accounts you have never followed are showing up in your time line as if you were following them, using posting wild conspiracy theories. Many of these accounts have 12 - 15 followers (bots). I find I'm spending more and more time blocking these "accounts" and this makes the site virtually useless.

The ads are horrific as well. They show up after ever 2-5 tweets by allegedly real users and are usually for some junk supplement Alex Jones would sell or some cheap tee shirt from a company you've never heard of.

The items showing up as trends are usually associated with some conspiracy theory pushed by the right so time is taken up telling the algorithm you're not interested in the particular subject or person.

I haven't been back on Reddit but I am spending more time on Mastodon.

I also notice very few people from Tennis Twitter have moved.