With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Covid-19 Updates & Info

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
dryrunguy

Re: Covid-19 Updates & Info

Post by dryrunguy »

Suliso wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:37 am I'd say less than 10% are wearing masks in public transport here. Nobody at work (100+ people). Can't keep masking alll your life...
Sure we could. Early on in the pandemic, I said to myself, "We should have been masking all along." People in China and some other parts of the world have been doing it as protection against environmental exposures. All personnel in hospitals and medical facilities should have been doing it all along and should still be doing it. Yet, when my brother was in the hospital before he died, there was this huge, muscular dude who was with my brother to keep him under control. He wasn't masked. In a hospital. Watching over someone who had recently had COVID. But he never wore a mask when I was visiting.

It's just good protective hygiene that can help prevent not just COVID but any other airborne germ or environmental exposure. I have no plan to stop. The next airborne disease could be right around the corner. (Not to mention, COVID ain't gone yet--no matter how much people want to pretend it no longer exists).
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I had an appointment for my 3rd COVID booster vaccine last week. I went to my appointment... but I didn’t get the vaccine.
After doing some research, I decided that I wanted the Moderna bivalent booster which targets the BA.4 and BA.5 variants. I have had Moderna vaccines all along, so I wanted to stay with them, and my research showed that the Moderna booster targeting BA.4 and BA.5 was more efficient than the Moderna booster targeting BA.1.

When it was time for me to get my booster, I asked the person who would be puncturing me which vaccines she had. She said they have the Moderna BA.1 and Pfizer BA.4/BA.5. I asked why that is. She told me that they’ve been told to use up all of the Moderna BA.1 boosters before making the BA.4/BA.5 booster available to people.
I asked when the Moderna BA.4/BA.5 would be available, She asked a supervisor, and he said that he thinks they’ll have it this weekend. He offered to call or text me to let me know when they receive it. But I haven’t heard from him as yet.
Of course, it’s possible that he forgot about me.

In any case, I declined both the Moderna BA.1 and the Pfizer BA.4/BA.5, and plan on waiting until I can access the Moderna BA.4/BA.5.

They also asked if I wanted the ‘flu vaccine, as well (which is free in Canada for everyone). I said ‘No’.
I have never had the ‘flu vaccine, and never contemplated it... but this year, I have thought about possibly getting it, as the ‘flu is more prevalent and more serious this year than in the recent past. I will continue thinking about possibly getting the ‘flu vaccine - but for now, it’s still a ‘No’.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

dryrunguy wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:12 pm
Suliso wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:37 am I'd say less than 10% are wearing masks in public transport here. Nobody at work (100+ people). Can't keep masking alll your life...
Sure we could. Early on in the pandemic, I said to myself, "We should have been masking all along." People in China and some other parts of the world have been doing it as protection against environmental exposures. All personnel in hospitals and medical facilities should have been doing it all along and should still be doing it. Yet, when my brother was in the hospital before he died, there was this huge, muscular dude who was with my brother to keep him under control. He wasn't masked. In a hospital. Watching over someone who had recently had COVID. But he never wore a mask when I was visiting.

It's just good protective hygiene that can help prevent not just COVID but any other airborne germ or environmental exposure. I have no plan to stop. The next airborne disease could be right around the corner. (Not to mention, COVID ain't gone yet--no matter how much people want to pretend it no longer exists).
Serious here. C19 will not go away EVER. This thing is too prevalent and mutates with ease. It is here to stay, like almost all infectious and transmittable diseases (flus, STD's, etc).
So, you are willing to spend the rest of your life wearing a mask? I am just asking.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:05 am
dryrunguy wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:12 pm

Serious here. C19 will not go away EVER. This thing is too prevalent and mutates with ease. It is here to stay, like almost all infectious and transmittable diseases (flus, STD's, etc).
So, you are willing to spend the rest of your life wearing a mask? I am just asking.
Absolutely, ponchi. Who am I hurting by being masked? Pretty sure it's no one. And the inconvenience to me is beyond minor. To quote the old spiritual, "ain't got time to die." And I certainly don't have time for and cannot afford long COVID. Long COVID alone could decimate me financially, even with the extensive advanced financial planning I've done. No thanks.

The minor inconvenience is a tiny price to pay.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

You guys are free to keep masking. I certainly don't mind. :)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Ok, fair enough.
Marketing ploy for making everybody wear masks: You actually LOOK better when masked. Almost all humans have beautiful eyes. Not everybody has a beautiful nose/mouth combo.
See how people start masking again.
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

My parents have COVID. My mom is in the hospital. Her oxygen levels were low so they’re admitting her. They just flew down to Florida on Wed so likely caught it in transit.

Be safe traveling over the holidays as best you can.

We’re flying down tomorrow and rather than cancel we’ve booked a hotel for the first few days so we can stay close.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I hope she will be fine soon. Keep us posted, and take care too.
Wish you the best.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Wishing your parents the best MJ.

This thing is brutal.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

Thanks. Cases are spiking big time here.

She also has pneumonia. Sigh.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

MJ2004 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:15 pm Thanks. Cases are spiking big time here.

She also has pneumonia. Sigh.
Are you talking about where you live or Florida? According to the governor of Florida there's no spike in the state he governs.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

I meant here in Massachusetts.

Florida, they didn’t even ask my dad to wear a mask in the hospital. I’m sure they’re prohibited from doing so.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Part of this is the quality of their vaccine. It really is bad.
My mom's second dose was with that. I have to talk to her about it.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

MJ2004 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:29 pm My parents have COVID. My mom is in the hospital. Her oxygen levels were low so they’re admitting her. They just flew down to Florida on Wed so likely caught it in transit.

Be safe traveling over the holidays as best you can.

We’re flying down tomorrow and rather than cancel we’ve booked a hotel for the first few days so we can stay close.
Wishing the best for your parents - and your mom in particular.
Please remember that, though hospital admission is frightening, it's also the best place to be to receive the care that she needs.

And a reminder to everyone - despite what the politicians want us to believe, COVID-19 is not behind us, and is just as present today as it was a year ago, if not more so.
Protect yourself and others by wearing a mask, washing your hands, and keeping your physical distance.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower