The new TAT2.0. And how it works (technical questions)

Explaining how the new forum works
Deuce Canada

Re: The new TAT2.0. And how it works (technical questions)

Post by Deuce »

What is the actual reason for updating every time a new version of phpBB is available?
I belong to the camp of 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'. I updated the Android on my cell phone once (actually, it updated on its own, as I had not disabled automatic updates), and it was a disaster. And I've read about many, many people having nothing but problems after updating operating systems, browsers, whatever - where everything was working fine before the updates.

I have disabled ALL automatic updates on my phone and on my computer, and I simply don't update anything anymore - unless something stops working properly. I have NEVER had any security or virus issues.

And so I wonder if, when everything is working well, there is a practical reason for updating phpBB every time a new version is available, and thus risking that things won't work as well as they did before the update.

(I have no idea what 'breadcrumbs' are, and I don't know if I use them or not; the forum seems to be working well for me and my 'PS4' theme right now.)
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Sooner or later, and it will be sooner, phpBB will migrate completely to PHP 8.x (it is up to 8.1). Some commands and lines of code will be substituted by new code. Such new code may not work in versions 3.x, where x is < 3.
PHP is a communal, worldwide enterprise. The brilliant nerds that run this thing, several layers below us the users, keep making it more complex; while, by the end of DOS reign (and prior to GUI's) DOS had 32 commands (which was beautiful as 32 is a power of 2), PHP and related new languages have commands in the 100's.
So, update now, or wait until the day in which it will simply not run anymore, at all. And that day, it will not be a 2-hour job of updating; it will be start from scratch.
I side with the nerds. That's all.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I just got a "this site can't be reached" notice but I closed the tab and opened a new one and there was no problem.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

I’ve been seeing the following error since the day before yesterday when I try to check TAT through Tapatalk. I uninstalled/reinstalled the app but still same issue. Is anyone else having this issue?
image1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: The new TAT2.0. TAPATALK

Post by ponchi101 »

MJ2004 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:42 pm I’ve been seeing the following error since the day before yesterday when I try to check TAT through Tapatalk. I uninstalled/reinstalled the app but still same issue. Is anyone else having this issue?
If somebody else is indeed having that problem, please post.
MJ: Our plugin was outdated. TAPATALK released a new one in October and since I do not use TAP I did not notice.
I downloaded and installed the new plugin, and re-enabled it.
If you need to re-use the TAPATALK API key, this is it:

84BBAF1387BBC385C0D67577EB04276B

Please let me know if it is working again.
Txs
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

It is working now, thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

No Aussie Open banner at the top this year?
Didn't we have one for every Major?
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:23 am I just got a "this site can't be reached" notice but I closed the tab and opened a new one and there was no problem.
This has been happening to me sporadically. Same with being logged out and having to log back in. Can't yet deduce reason why
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Deuce wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:49 am No Aussie Open banner at the top this year?
Didn't we have one for every Major?
I did not have time to design a new one. My bad.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: The new TAT2.0. Update Jan 310th 2023

Post by ponchi101 »

Dear all.
All updates for the board have been made. Only a new addition of "importance" to announce.
A new extension has been installed that allows you to go back to the index page if you click on the header banner. Nothing major, but it might help with navigation.
We are currently running phpBB 3.3.9, smoothly running on PHP 8.0.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: The new TAT2.0. Update to 3.3.10

Post by ponchi101 »

Updated to 3.3.10. Something very odd happened, in that I thought I had not but the system tells me it did.
If you notice anything odd, please come here and report.
Txs
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: The new TAT2.0. MORE UPDATES

Post by ponchi101 »

Dear all.
A technical thingy, so only for those that are interested in this sort of things.
We have updated all the way to phpBB 3.3.10 (the board), running on php 8.0 (the platform/language). But I did not realize that many of our extensions have also been updated by their designers. So, looking at them, I can see that at least 20 have been updated (yes, we have a lot of bells and whistles running). And, at least one of them yesterday gave me a massive headache because, when I updated to 3.3.10, THAT particular extension did not run and caused a crash. Therefore I had to update to the new one.
So. Sometime during the weekend I will have to do a major shutdown, and start updating. I say it will take me a whole afternoon, because, although they are all very small (I never cease to be amazed of how compact php is, as a language), I will have to uninstall the old one, install the new one, and check it is running with no conflicts.
Will post you.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I think I speak for numerous people when I say thank you for having created this site, and for maintaining it. It's been a little over 2 years now, and, not only was the transition from TAT 1.0 as seamless as possible, but TAT 2.0 has evolved very nicely since then.

Seeing virtually every other tennis message board being overtaken and overrun with teenagers posting nonsense for attention and endless other trolls and assholes, it's hard to believe that TAT has been kept as a little semi-private 'niche' site. I was expecting (and dreading) that what happened with other sites would happen here. But we seem to be somehow immune to it, for which we are all surely thankful. It's like a little hidden treasure.

So... thanks again for the work you do in maintaining this site - it's much appreciated.
R.I.P. Amal...

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

What Deuce said. Thank you Ponchi.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

FYI, Though posts aren't saved the way they were on TAT 1.0. If you've written a long comment on the forum and go to post it and the site is being updated and your post is gone. Before you think it's just completely lost, hit the back button on your browser. It is very likely it'll still be there and you can copy it and save it to post later on.

I may be speaking from experience...