World News Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: World News Random, Random

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The Israeli Philharmonic has taken to the streets. Translation by Google

Translated from Hebrew by
The Philharmonic Orchestra went out to protest against the coup d'état

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Bloomberg News Bot
@bloombergnews@mstdnnewsbots.org
After three months in Florida, Jair Bolsonaro is returning to Brazil to challenge the leftist government of his foe Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.

@andrewrosati and @danielcarvalho_ report https://t.co/tk5ONx9Gzm https://t.co/k8FKf2qPbp

Paywall

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Most WSJ articles are paywalled. I didn't check these.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I am sorry to sound cruel, but: Americans have to learn that if you are in a foreign country that is an enemy of the USA., YOU HAVE A PRICE. And your embassy is useless.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The kind of stories you used to find on the Dogecoin App

The Xylom is hiring* !
@thexylom@journa.host
NEW: While working on her master’s thesis in forests by coffee plantations in Costa Rica, Gina Errico took the opportunity to talk to local farmers and foresters about the issues they are facing and learn how they are trying to combat these problems.

https://www.thexylom.com/post/it-breaks ... ate-change

"For Diana Vargas Hernández, a daughter of coffee farmers in Puntarenas, a sprawling province spanning most of the Central American country’s Pacific coast, the annual coffee bean harvest has always been a part of her life.

'Growing up I remember how crazy it was trying to pick all of the fruits before they went bad or the birds ate them all,' she said. (/2)

https://www.thexylom.com/post/it-breaks-my

But today, Diana’s family is facing a crisis. “Now I hear my parents discussing the decrease in [coffee] yields and issues with fungal pathogens that may force them to give up on the farm and it breaks my heart.” (/3)

Her family is not alone. In Costa Rica, there are around 50,000 individually owned coffee farms, 90% of which are on less than five hectares (13 acres) of land. Each farm is being faced with multiple crises at once, including rapid changes in temperature and rainfall, an increase in fungal and insect pests, coupled with a rise in the cost of pesticides/fertilizers. (/4)

https://thexylom.com/post/it-breaks-my- ... ate-change

#costarica #coffee #science #ecology #agriculture #climatechange #journalism #xforxylom

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Wow, if Europe does not need Ukraine, do they need... Russia? A belligerent superpower that is always attacking it?
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

I don't use Twitter, but it more and more seems to be used as a weapon. Ultimately, it's an unnecessary convenience run by a right winger, yet trying to convince people otherwise is a fools game because people have been soaked into believing it's necessary.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

A mass shooting in Belgrade. 9 dead.
Extremely different circumstances than shootings in the USA. Serbia has strict controls on guns, but it is equally awash in weapons left from the war.
Time to re-calibrate the theories of why these massacres happen?
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:16 pm A mass shooting in Belgrade. 9 dead.
Extremely different circumstances than shootings in the USA. Serbia has strict controls on guns, but it is equally awash in weapons left from the war.
Time to re-calibrate the theories of why these massacres happen?
No. We see one-off examples of these types of events in other countries, but not enough of them in a particular country or region to draw any conclusions. The US is clearly a special case because of the shear volume of mass shootings.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

But, precisely. These events, in countries other than the USA, are seldom seen. But by now, you have a handful. Port Arthur, Dunblane, Utoya, now this. Is there a connection between these four? (I am unable to remember others). if so, what is it?
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:25 pm But, precisely. These events, in countries other than the USA, are seldom seen. But by now, you have a handful. Port Arthur, Dunblane, Utoya, now this. Is there a connection between these four? (I am unable to remember others). if so, what is it?
I don't have access to enough information about all these events to connect them. There may be some commonalities, but it would take a lot of resources to study them properly, and I'm not sure it's valuable given that they all happened in different countries, different societies, with different laws regarding fire arms.