Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

Post by ponchi101 »

I installed a plug in so Mastodon would show up as other media does. It did not work.
Talking to the phpBB people, they point out that mastodon uses so many different domains that it is very hard. mastodon.social, mastodon.news, etc.
I hope they will be able to find a way for the embed to work.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Today in Elmo-land

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

lorenzofb@infosec.exchange
dangillmor@mastodon.social
Lorenzo Franceschi-Bicchierai
@lorenzofb@infosec.exchange
NEW: Google's Project Zero has found a lot of high severity vulnerabilities in certain Samsung chips included in dozens of Android models.

Samsung has had more than 90 days to patch, but hasn't done it yet, according to Google's @maddiestone

https://techcrunch.com/2023/03/16/googl ... s-android/

TechCrunch is part of the Yahoo family of brands
consent.yahoo.com

https://infosec.exchange/@lorenzofb/110035088934653042
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Thanks for the video.
I am still skeptical about fusion. The level of energy needed to keep the plasma in place is extreme. But the video makes it clear: everybody knows that.
Arthur Clarke, in "3001", proposed this conundrum: IF we get nuclear fusion going, and that would mean almost infinite power available, how do we stop ourselves from further heating the planet, because know we would have ALL the energy we need for everything we want?
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Or is it profound risks to the profitability of their companies until they figure out how to use it best for their gains?

Elon Musk and Others Call for Pause on A.I., Citing ‘Profound Risks to Society’
More than 1,000 tech leaders, researchers and others signed an open letter that urged a moratorium on the development of the most powerful artificial intelligence systems.
More than 1,000 technology leaders and researchers, including Elon Musk, have urged artificial intelligence labs to pause development of the most advanced systems, warning in an open letter that A.I. tools present “profound risks to society and humanity.”

A.I. developers are “locked in an out-of-control race to develop and deploy ever more powerful digital minds that no one — not even their creators — can understand, predict or reliably control,” according to the letter, which was released Wednesday by the nonprofit group Future of Life Institute.

Others who signed the letter include Steve Wozniak, a co-founder of Apple; Andrew Yang, an entrepreneur and candidate in the 2020 U.S. presidential election; and Rachel Bronson, the president of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, which sets the Doomsday Clock.

“These things are shaping our world,” said Gary Marcus, an entrepreneur and academic who has long complained of flaws in A.I. systems, in an interview. “We have a perfect storm of corporate irresponsibility, widespread adoption, lack of regulation and a huge number of unknowns.”
The push to develop more powerful chatbots has led to a race that could determine the next leaders of the tech industry. But these tools have been criticized for getting details wrong and their ability to spread misinformation.

The open letter called for a pause in the development of A.I. systems more powerful than GPT-4, the chatbot introduced this month by the research lab OpenAI, which Mr. Musk co-founded. The pause would provide time to implement “shared safety protocols” for A.I. systems, the letter said. “If such a pause cannot be enacted quickly, governments should step in and institute a moratorium,” it added.

Development of powerful A.I. systems should advance “only once we are confident that their effects will be positive and their risks will be manageable,” the letter said.

Before GPT-4 was released, OpenAI asked outside researchers to test dangerous uses of the system. The researchers showed that it could be coaxed into suggesting how to buy illegal firearms online, describe ways to make dangerous substances from household items and write Facebook posts to convince women that abortion is unsafe.
The letter was shepherded by the Future of Life Institute, an organization dedicated to researching existential risks to humanity that has long warned of the dangers of artificial intelligence. But it was signed by a wide range of people from industry and academia.

Though some who signed the letter are known for repeatedly expressing concerns that A.I. could destroy humanity, others, including Mr. Marcus, are more concerned about its near-term dangers, including the spread of disinformation and the risk that people will rely on these systems for medical and emotional advice.

The letter “shows how many people are deeply worried about what is going on,” said Mr. Marcus, who signed the letter. He believes the letter will be an important turning point. “It think it is a really important moment in the history of A.I. — and maybe humanity,” he said.

He acknowledged, however, that those who have signed the letter may find it difficult to convince the wider community of companies and researchers to put a moratorium in place. “The letter is not perfect,” he said. “But the spirit is exactly right.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/29/tech ... risks.html
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I have made my position clear on this, so this statement is something I agree completely with. My concern has not been about what AI can do, but rather how many jobs will be lost to AI, and how many industries will disappear (anybody here knows a draftsman?).
But I don't know why use Elon as an example. He is right now just another signee, but he is highly polarizing. No need to mention him if it was a true collection of many people.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Owendonovan wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:38 pm Or is it profound risks to the profitability of their companies until they figure out how to use it best for their gains?

Elon Musk and Others Call for Pause on A.I., Citing ‘Profound Risks to Society’
More than 1,000 tech leaders, researchers and others signed an open letter that urged a moratorium on the development of the most powerful artificial intelligence systems.
More than 1,000 technology leaders and researchers, including Elon Musk, have urged artificial intelligence labs to pause development of the most advanced systems, warning in an open letter that A.I. tools present “profound risks to society and humanity.”

A.I. developers are “locked in an out-of-control race to develop and deploy ever more powerful digital minds that no one — not even their creators — can understand, predict or reliably control,” according to the letter, which was released Wednesday by the nonprofit group Future of Life Institute.

Others who signed the letter include Steve Wozniak, a co-founder of Apple; Andrew Yang, an entrepreneur and candidate in the 2020 U.S. presidential election; and Rachel Bronson, the president of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, which sets the Doomsday Clock.

“These things are shaping our world,” said Gary Marcus, an entrepreneur and academic who has long complained of flaws in A.I. systems, in an interview. “We have a perfect storm of corporate irresponsibility, widespread adoption, lack of regulation and a huge number of unknowns.”
The push to develop more powerful chatbots has led to a race that could determine the next leaders of the tech industry. But these tools have been criticized for getting details wrong and their ability to spread misinformation.

The open letter called for a pause in the development of A.I. systems more powerful than GPT-4, the chatbot introduced this month by the research lab OpenAI, which Mr. Musk co-founded. The pause would provide time to implement “shared safety protocols” for A.I. systems, the letter said. “If such a pause cannot be enacted quickly, governments should step in and institute a moratorium,” it added.

Development of powerful A.I. systems should advance “only once we are confident that their effects will be positive and their risks will be manageable,” the letter said.

Before GPT-4 was released, OpenAI asked outside researchers to test dangerous uses of the system. The researchers showed that it could be coaxed into suggesting how to buy illegal firearms online, describe ways to make dangerous substances from household items and write Facebook posts to convince women that abortion is unsafe.
The letter was shepherded by the Future of Life Institute, an organization dedicated to researching existential risks to humanity that has long warned of the dangers of artificial intelligence. But it was signed by a wide range of people from industry and academia.

Though some who signed the letter are known for repeatedly expressing concerns that A.I. could destroy humanity, others, including Mr. Marcus, are more concerned about its near-term dangers, including the spread of disinformation and the risk that people will rely on these systems for medical and emotional advice.

The letter “shows how many people are deeply worried about what is going on,” said Mr. Marcus, who signed the letter. He believes the letter will be an important turning point. “It think it is a really important moment in the history of A.I. — and maybe humanity,” he said.

He acknowledged, however, that those who have signed the letter may find it difficult to convince the wider community of companies and researchers to put a moratorium in place. “The letter is not perfect,” he said. “But the spirit is exactly right.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/29/tech ... risks.html
Your statement highlighted above is correct in my opinion.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This is actually hilarious. Yesterday because of open API Twitter code was released showing how the algorithm has been adjusted to make Elmo's tweets and those he deems worthy rise to the top.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Virgin Orbit, the least exciting of the billionaire funded space ventures, has gone belly up.
https://www.thestreet.com/technology/si ... _ven=YAHOO

As a plane, it was pretty good. As a rocket.... uhm. I say no surprise there.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Agree, technically their plan never made much sense to me. Unlike other contenders their rocket could not be scaled up and that seems to be a trend now.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Could not even be used as a small shuttle to reach Low Earth Orbit. So, I would love to fly up and check the earth's curvature, but for that price, both Elon and Jeff are offering more promising techs.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Now it's all about Starship really. Will it succeed? I hope it does. The first launch could be as early as April 10th.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

The first ever cell phone call was made on this date 50 years ago.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:29 pm The first ever cell phone call was made on this date 50 years ago.
Should this be celebrated? Or lamented? I am on the second camp. Yes, cellphones/smartphones can do amazing things. But I say the price we paid was too much.
And the idea that you can always turn them off is a lie. For some people it is not possible.
(And I have two people in my family that are addicted to their smartphone to the point that I call clinical. My GF and my sister in law; they will not put them down).