For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day. And do not quote any post, as it will put you over the limit of characters for our parser
PREDICTIONS FOR RG ARE DUE ON SUNDAY 2ND, EARLY IN THE MORNING

Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Our main board to talk about our sport
Owendonovan United States of America

Re: Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Post by Owendonovan »

Thankfully no. Typically tanks and shorts for both men and women. Positioning on the court is similar to beach volleyball and it's typically a doubles game.
atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

Here in the Atlanta area, tennis is still very big with most neighborhoods having at least 2 courts so they can participate in ALTA leagues. I stopped playing tennis about 10 years ago due to foot issues. I recently started playing pickleball at our second home in Vermont as a way to meet people and they created a court just down the mountain from us where they have group play at set times several days a week. In the next town they have added lines with portable nets for pickleball and there has been some contention with tennis players until they scheduled some specific days/times for pickleball use.

Agassi made a cute comment at the recent pickleball exo - Pickleball is where old tennis players go to die!
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

mick1303 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:47 pm Maybe it is a wrong thread, but I wanted to ask mostly US-based posters: what is the situation with pickleball invasion and what are you thoughts about this? I currently reside in Ukraine, but have some hopes that in future, if my son settles down enough in US (he is currently in a temporary status, but has a job) then me and my wife will be able eventually to move there. I spent some years in US on job assignments in the late 90s and early 2000s. And what I liked very much was avialability of free tennis courts in the parks in many locations nearby. But what I hear lately is disturbing, because they say that courts are converted to pickleball en masse. Will there be enough left?

Also some tennis stars (Agassi included) are participating in this, which IMO is also questionable. It seems that there is a conflict for resources and tennis is losing. And people who made their living from tennis switching sides like this - somehow I feel betrayed by their actions.

Pickleball has definitely taken off here in New York with a lot of new courts (including in Central Park, they've put them where the skating rink typically is in winter). But I think it's mostly in addition to rather than instead of existing tennis courts.

Glad your son was able to leave. Where in the US is he?
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

mmmm8 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:05 pm
mick1303 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:47 pm Maybe it is a wrong thread, but I wanted to ask mostly US-based posters: what is the situation with pickleball invasion and what are you thoughts about this? I currently reside in Ukraine, but have some hopes that in future, if my son settles down enough in US (he is currently in a temporary status, but has a job) then me and my wife will be able eventually to move there. I spent some years in US on job assignments in the late 90s and early 2000s. And what I liked very much was avialability of free tennis courts in the parks in many locations nearby. But what I hear lately is disturbing, because they say that courts are converted to pickleball en masse. Will there be enough left?

Also some tennis stars (Agassi included) are participating in this, which IMO is also questionable. It seems that there is a conflict for resources and tennis is losing. And people who made their living from tennis switching sides like this - somehow I feel betrayed by their actions.

Pickleball has definitely taken off here in New York with a lot of new courts (including in Central Park, they've put them where the skating rink typically is in winter). But I think it's mostly in addition to rather than instead of existing tennis courts.

Glad your son was able to leave. Where in the US is he?
He is in Pittsburgh, PA. This is where we used to live back then.
dave g United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

I happen to live in a rather small town (<2000) in northeastern Minnesota. So, there is not enough demand to have indoor tennis courts. However, pickleball courts are small enough to be able to be played in buildings that use to be schools. So I can play pickleball in winter, but not tennis. We have three outdoor tennis courts, with one of the having lines to double as a pickleball court. A nearby larger city has 11 tennis courts, with about 3 or 4 having extra sets of lines for pickleball. So, my experience in northeastern Minnesota is that pickleball and tennis can coexist without creating very much interference between the two.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

mick1303 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:21 pm
He is in Pittsburgh, PA. This is where we used to live back then.
My friend who is from Pittsburgh seems to have no issues finding tennis courts when she goes home, so I think you'd be fine if you end up there!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Time to start a pickleball/other racquet sports topic? ;)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

The WTA has reinstated the China swing of the tour.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Money talks.
And since the answer to the question "Where is Peng Shuai" was never given, the WTA can cave in.
Nothing that can be done against that dictatorship.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:40 pm Time to start a pickleball/other racquet sports topic? ;)
^ I did that several months ago.
But there's been basically no movement in the thread.

viewtopic.php?t=1211

It would be nice if there were more posts about our actual playing of tennis and other racquet sports. Sadly, though, that only seems to happen when the fake posters come in for their brief visits...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Christopher Clarey 🇺🇸 🇫🇷 🇪🇸 :verified_legacy: 🤖
@christophclarey@sportsbots.xyz
Spoke with Yaqiu Wang of Human Rights Watch about the WTA's retreat on China

“It was very inspiring at that point for the human rights community, and it’s now an extremely disappointing thing to see that the WTA basically is acting like everyone else."

https://nytimes.com/2023/04/13/spo

WTA Lifts Suspension on Tournaments in China
The New York Times
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

:vomit: :vomit: :ax
JTContinental wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:37 pm The WTA has reinstated the China swing of the tour.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I guess one should pick fights in their own weight category.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Owendonovan wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:57 am Thankfully no. Typically tanks and shorts for both men and women. Positioning on the court is similar to beach volleyball and it's typically a doubles game.
Ok... based on the promo below, I see it as a potentially fun thing to do on the beach with friends... But the talk of 'professionals' seems rather ridiculous. I mean - how many different sports - and variations of sports - do we really need?

And that the ITF seems to be sanctioning it seems like excessive overkill. But I guess they see money in it somewhere...
I wouldn't call it 'beach tennis' myself - maybe something to do with paddles and volleying. It seems to resemble beach volleyball more than it resembles tennis.

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:38 am I guess one should pick fights in their own weight category.
The thing is they pulled out of the fight, and now want to go back.
I gather it is now in the hands of the players. Can the WTA force them to go back to China?