For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day. And do not quote any post, as it will put you over the limit of characters for our parser
PREDICTIONS FOR RG ARE DUE ON SUNDAY 2ND, EARLY IN THE MORNING

Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Our main board to talk about our sport
JazzNU United States of America

Re: Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:09 pm Money talks.
And since the answer to the question "Where is Peng Shuai" was never given, the WTA can cave in.
Nothing that can be done against that dictatorship.
Yes, and also, fans and tennis journalists who are well aware of the situation have crapped on the WTA's tournaments and prize money since it occurred. It's been interesting how little leeway was given to them given the circumstances while seemingly understanding and supporting the WTA's stance on the matter as well.

Personally, the WTA held on longer than I thought they would. But I was pretty certain after I thought Qinwen Zheng might be a future top player, this wouldn't be an indefinite holdout.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:37 pm
Suliso wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:38 am I guess one should pick fights in their own weight category.
The thing is they pulled out of the fight, and now want to go back.
I gather it is now in the hands of the players. Can the WTA force them to go back to China?
The money the WTA players will make in China will make them go back. They won't care if the stadiums are empty or not.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

WTA tournaments will return to China after boycott over Peng Shuai allegations

By Russell Fuller
BBC tennis correspondent
13 April 2023

The Women's Tennis Association will resume tournaments in China this year having accepted an investigation into the sexual assault allegations made by former player Peng Shuai will not be carried out by the Chinese government.

Former doubles world number one Peng said in November 2021 she was "forced" into a sexual relationship with former China vice-premier Zhang Gaoli.

The WTA suspended its end-of-year events in China and said it would not return until there was an investigation and it had proof of Peng's safety.

After making the accusation in a social media post, Peng briefly disappeared from the public eye and she then later denied making the allegation. Zhang has not commented publicly on the allegation.

The WTA had called for the Chinese authorities to hold a "full, fair and transparent" investigation before any tournaments could go ahead.

"We've been in this for 16 months and we are convinced that at this point our requests will not be met," WTA chief executive Steve Simon told BBC Sport.

"To continue with the same strategy doesn't make sense and a different approach is needed. Hopefully, by returning, more progress can be made."

The decision means the final two months of the WTA season will once again be dominated by China. Simon said the schedule will be "very similar" to the pre-pandemic year of 2019 when eight Chinese tournaments were staged in eight weeks from early September.

And crucially, the season-ending WTA Finals will resume its 10-year deal with the city of Shenzhen. Prize money this year, as it was in the first year of the contract in 2019, will be £11.2m.

Simon says the "great majority" of players are in support of a return to China.

And despite promising a hard-line stance with the Chinese government, in which there would be no room for compromise, he says he has not considered resigning.

"No, I would never do that to an organisation. It's about leading an organisation and listening to its members," he said.

"We have athletes that come from over 80 nations, so there's plenty of different opinions, but the majority of athletes were very supportive of a return back to the region. We certainly have some that were not, but the majority - the great majority - were in support and are in support of going back. There was strong support across the members, the [player] council and the board."

Simon says this change of heart was not forced upon them by commercial realities, but accepts members would have "sacrificed a great deal" had the WTA Tour withdrawn from China for good.. :roll:

The WTA's boycott lasted just over 16 months, although no tournaments could have taken place in the country during that period anyway because of the Covid pandemic.

"We've achieved some assurances from people that are close to Peng that she's safe and living with her family in Beijing," Simon said when asked whether the WTA had achieved anything. He says he has not yet been able to speak personally with Peng.

"We do also have some assurances that there won't be any issues with our players and staff while they are competing in China. And hopefully we have received some respect for the stance we took," he continued.

"We haven't seen anyone else take a stance such as we did. There hasn't been any other sporting leagues or any business that have - we took that strong stance, we stand behind it."

The men's Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) Tour committed itself to 2023 events in Chengdu, Zhuhai, Shanghai and Beijing once China's Covid regulations eased, and the International Tennis Federation (ITF) said this month it is looking forward to bringing the World Tennis Tour back to China.

"We didn't go into this with expectations that anybody would [follow suit]," Simon added.

"I would have liked to have seen that, for sure, but we didn't expect it and we're not pointing fingers at anyone else."

Simon denies that by returning to China, the WTA has removed a crucial pillar of support for Peng.

"We are hoping by the return more progress will be made," he said. "We are very proud of the position we took.

"We're not going to let Peng be forgotten at this point in time."

Kai Ong, a China researcher at Amnesty International, said: "There's no independently-verifiable evidence that can prove Peng Shuai is truly safe and free.

"We're reminding the WTA of the structural hurdles many survivors of sexual violence in China face when seeking justice and remedy.

"Returning to China without continuing to push for an independent investigation into Peng's accusations risks perpetuating the systemic injustice faced by sexual violence survivors in the country."

'A welcome return from a tennis perspective'

The move was described as "very important" by French world number five Caroline Garcia, who said she understood the decision to return to China.

"The ATP and the ITF was already going back, and women's tennis is following," she told BBC Sport.

"In the past we have had some huge tournaments over there and I think it is an important swing for us in our calendar and I'm looking forward to it."

Former British number one Anne Keothavong, who captains the nation's Billie Jean King Cup team, and current British player Katie Boulter both stressed Peng's safety was their main concern.

But they added the future health of the WTA Tour - and the staging of more tournaments - had to be considered.

"From a tennis perspective, hopefully it will be a welcome return," said Keothavong.

"I don't know whether they have been able to investigate in the way that they would have liked, but tennis is a business. The WTA need to generate commercial revenue and the players need a circuit to compete."

Boulter added: "I think ultimately there's two things. One is that we hope Peng Shuai is OK and secondly it's just an excitement to have tournaments on the calendar.

"Sometimes I think we don't have enough tournaments and I really hope that we can get out there and enjoy it."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/65260468
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Tragic.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Aryna Sabalenka says comments from Belarus president Alexander Lukashenko 'not helping'
Belarus president Alexander Lukashenko has publicly praised Arnya Sabalenka’s achievements in a speech; Sabalenka has previously spoken out about "hate" received in the locker room since Russia's invasion of Ukraine

Wednesday 19 April 2023 09:16, UK

Aryna Sabalenka fears comments from Belarus president Alexander Lukashenko may make her even more unpopular on the WTA Tour and insists she would "stop the war" in Ukraine if she could.

The world No 2 spoke last month about the "hate" she encountered in the locker room amid strained relations between some players following Russia's invasion of Ukraine, which was supported by its ally Belarus.

Lukashenko celebrated Sabalenka's Australian Open victory in January and said more recently that people knew which country she hailed from even if she was playing under a neutral flag.

In March 2022, tennis' governing bodies barred players from Russia and Belarus from competing under the name or flag of either country following the war, requiring them to play under neutral flags.

"I'm pretty sure that it's not helping," Sabalenka told reporters in Stuttgart on Tuesday when asked about Lukashenko's comments. "I don't know what to say because he can comment [on] my game, he can comment whatever he wants to.

"I have nothing to do with politics...If Ukrainians will hate me more after his speech, then what can I do? If they feel better by hating me, I'm happy to help them with that. They can do that.

"But the rest, if I could stop the war, I would do that, but unfortunately it's not in my hands and it's not under my control."

The 24-year-old said she keeps away from the internet as much as possible to avoid reading negative comments.

"I'll be able to focus on myself and on my game and not get too depressed about this situation," she added.

Sabalenka is playing at the Stuttgart Open this week after withdrawing from the Charleston Open with a minor injury. She will face Barbora Krejcikova in the second round of the clay-court event after receiving a bye in the opener.

https://www.skysports.com/tennis/news/1 ... ot-helping

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This has been rumored for a couple of years now. Sad if it's true.

22/04/2023 16:30
MAJOR CHANGES INCOMING FOR WTA 250 TOURNAMENTS WITH TOP 30 NOT ABLE TO PLAY

Some major changes are coming for WTA 250 tournaments in the future as the tournament director of the Ostrava Open revealed in a recent interview.

According to Tomáš Petera who is the tournament director of the WTA 500 event in Ostrava, the lower level of WTA events won't be able to feature the top 30 ranked players starting next year which will create a lot of chaos in the sport. According to Petera multiple events are now fighting in the background for a chance to be upgraded to a WTA 500 event in order to retain the ability to attract the best players.

It's unclear why the change is being made because WTA events struggle to attract huge crowds as it is and this will make things worse for plenty of them. Plenty of them might be done all together as Petera noted that the upgrade costs a lot of money which some of them can't be afforded. We will provide more info when we have them.

https://tennisuptodate.com/wta/major-ch ... le-to-play

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Check the dates

Bitch from Brno
@broken_necklace
🚨 Tomáš Petera head organizator of WTA 500 in Ostrava just said that in 2024 there will be major change in tournaments. He said that top 30 will not be able to play WTA 250! And those tournaments will have to upgrade their licence which is super expensive so we may lost them.
6:46 AM · Apr 21, 2023
·
Views

Apr 21
About Ostrava. There is a chance they will get licence for Moscow Kremlin cup. In autumn. If they will not. They will try to get upgrade of licence(not sure why since It’s already 500v, But he said that) and tournament will take a place in February. Their fighting with Linz.

Again this is all rumor at this point.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

But it seems to make no sense. I don't understand it.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I first heard this maybe 3-5 years ago and nothing came of it. I can't imagine anyone other than Steve Simon has worked so hard to destroy the WTA tour.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Are they just going to let them all upgrade to 500 if they can afford to (within reason for the calendar), or are they still aiming to maintain more 250s than 500s. Because if it's the first one, then it's just a money grab, but at least it makes logical sense

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

David Law is arguing for the merger of the tours here. The WTA is poorly managed, has little to no visibility in sport despite it being the best sport for women in terms of money which is saying a lot given the difference between what Iga and Carlitos were paid, and a merger would reward the incompetence of WTA management. JMHO

DG
@Bestof5forever
Apr 23
Surrendering that women’s tennis cannot be equal and they must rely on the men.

And the men must hold a weight around their ankles as they try to gain parity with other professional sports
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The Bogota ATP tournament folded. It was unsustainable, and therefore the ATP stopped it. The WTA tourney remains.
I really don't know how the economics for either tour work.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Some are arguing that the WTA is presenting an inferior product. I left out all of the comparisons between the WNBA and the WTA. If I recall correctly the WNBA is hugely subsidized by the NBA. There is more publicity around the WNBA and women's basketball in general right now so at least they're trying. Also one of the top retired WNBA stars works with the TNT crew during the regular season.

That said I don't think the pay levels are remotely equal. Someone posted that the minimum pay level in the WNBA is $125k? No NBA player would even get out of bed for that amount of money. And yet Iga, who pretty much romped through her tournament the way Carltos did, made $373k less in prize money.

There is only one resolution that I see, and right now the ATP can do like this guy.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The average salary for a WNBA player is $147K. Remember that the reason Brittney Griner was playing in Russia was because that salary is not enough.
Devil's advocate. Suppose the WTA becomes unviable. Prize money drops and tournaments start to fold. Does joining the ATP really solves the problem? And if so, how much will the men be willing to put down? One thing is to subsidize; let's say, the WTA section of the tournaments will get an increase (a 500's winner gets at least $250K). Another thing would be for the prize money to be the same, because I really doubt that the men will take that much of a cut from their prize money to subsidize the women (the subsidy will come from their pockets).
Last. The NBA has far deeper pockets than the ATP. Subsidizing the WNBA is a good thing because it is the Association that does it, not the players.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I was curious if they consider the price of the car as part of the total payout. I looked up the model given in the tournament post and found this (US dollars)
How much is the Porsche Taycan GTS in the US?
The 2023 Porsche Taycan starts at $86,700, which is in the middle of the luxury electric car class. Above the base model, trims rise in price all the way up to the $190,000 Taycan Turbo S Cross Turismo.Dec 20, 2022