With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Politics Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Politics Random, Random

Post by ti-amie »

Naveed Jamali@NaveedAJamali

#BreakingNews ahead of protests in DC, intelligence and law enforcement are investigating a radio transmission heard by a JetBlue plane threatening a 9/11 style attack in the nations capital on Weds.

The transmission said "We are going to fly a plane into the capital on Wednesday to avenge Soleimani's death," but intelligence, law enforcement, and military pilots I said the transmission is likely to not be Iranian, and instead investigators should focus on domestic targets.

Intelligence experts familiar with Iranian intel and its proxies tell me they do not believe Iran would broadcast an attack like this. Instead they believe this more likely an individual focused on the pro-Trump protests tomorrow.
Malcolm Nance
@MalcolmNance
Now that I’ve heard the audio its likely an American false flagging this. I hope they learn when you F*ck Around ... you Find Out.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

This guy is with the NY Times, in charge of their "Election Needle"

mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Decision HQ projected Warnock to win.

Ossoff is only 1200 behind.

Color me surprised (pleasantly)
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

If this is actually what transpires in Georgia, this is astounding. I would not have expected it. Ossoff appears to be in delightful shape with most outstanding votes left in heavily Democratic districts.

I'd be curious to read your opinions.... To what degree are Trump's shenanigans in recent weeks responsible for this? I'd vote for "very high"...
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

It seems to have motivated turnout, particularly African American turnout in rural areas, that didn't turnout for the General Election.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Decision Desk HQ have projected Ossoff to win and he's declared victory.

It seems tying his ticket to Warnock really helped (thanks as always to Black people).

Phew.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

dryrunguy wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:08 am If this is actually what transpires in Georgia, this is astounding. I would not have expected it. Ossoff appears to be in delightful shape with most outstanding votes left in heavily Democratic districts.

I'd be curious to read your opinions.... To what degree are Trump's shenanigans in recent weeks responsible for this? I'd vote for "very high"...
Agree with Skatingfan, it seems to have motivated Democratic turnout. But it'll be difficult to measure how much of it was Trump and how much was the campaigns, local organizers, and Democratic fundraising.
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

I think this tweet put it well:

@RameshPonnuru
My sense is Perdue and Loeffler could have survived any 2 of these 3: being unimpressive candidates, GA shifting purple, and Trump being a maniac.

The day McConnell stops being majority leader we should all celebrate with champagne. More momentous even than dumping Trump.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

mmmm8 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:59 pm
It seems tying his ticket to Warnock really helped (thanks as always to Black people).
Didn't hurt for sure, however black electorate was 29% (same as in general). Can't win statewide offices by that alone, lots of white suburbanites must have voted for both candidates as well.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

In a state that suppresses voting so much, the results are very good news. If Stacey Abrams wins the governorship in a couple of years, and they are able to put serious people in charge of voting, Georgia may become blue for a long time.
And yes, Tiny's shenanigans must have been a huge factor in this. A reminder that he lost the state, and he lost it again.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Trump’s devastation of the Republican Party is nearly complete

Opinion by
Karen Tumulty
Columnist
Jan. 6, 2021 at 10:23 a.m. EST

It is time for Republicans to face an uncomfortable but increasingly obvious truth.

President Trump is just not that into you.

He never has been.

To Trump, the party of Lincoln was a rental vehicle, one that he took for a joyride and is getting ready to turn back in, with trash jammed under the seats and stains covering the upholstery. Also, the tank is empty, and there’s a crack in the windshield.

Democrat Raphael Warnock has won his Senate race in Georgia, defeating Republican Kelly Loeffler, a billionaire who had reinvented herself as a Trumpist, right down to the trucker cap that she started wearing atop her expensively styled blond locks.

If Democrat Jon Ossoff’s lead over David Perdue, whose Senate term expired Sunday, holds up in the remaining Georgia Senate race, Republicans will have managed to lose the presidency, the House and the Senate during Trump’s four years in office.

Quite the trifecta.

What is even worse, both for democracy and for the long-term well-being of the party itself, is that Republicans have lost any legitimate claim that they stand for constitutional principles and conservative values.

We will see the most incontrovertible evidence of this on Wednesday, as GOP members of the House and Senate, at Trump’s bidding, wage a futile and deeply undemocratic effort to overturn the results of a presidential election that wasn’t even close. What is normally a rote procedure to certify the results of the electoral college will be challenged by a shockingly large number of GOP foot soldiers, with Vice President Pence in the hot seat.

And why are Republicans doing this? The more weak-kneed among them might be afraid of an unkind tweet from the president; others, of a possible primary challenge.

And still others — I’m looking at you, Sens. Ted Cruz (Tex.) and Josh Hawley (Mo.) — because of craven opportunism. As my colleague David Von Drehle pointed out, they are positioning themselves for 2024 presidential bids and are betting on the dubious proposition that Trumpism is “a philosophical torch that can be passed from one runner to the next.”

As a large number of Republicans vote to undermine democracy inside the Capitol, the streets of Washington will be thronged with Trump supporters. The MAGA crowds might or might not actually believe their leader’s claims that the election was stolen, but they are willing to do whatever he asks of them. Trump has not been subtle in his suggestion that violence might be in order. “Big protest in D.C. on January 6th,” he tweeted last month. “Be there, will be wild!”

Watching Trump’s performance since his election loss — and especially the chaos he has sown in the past few weeks, as things went down to the wire in Georgia — it seems fair to ask whether he even wanted Republicans to win there. Because if Perdue and Loeffler had carried the state and he had lost it, that would have exposed exactly how hollow were his claims of election fraud.

Trump’s obsession with Georgia is such that the president placed no fewer than 18 calls to its secretary of state, Brad Raffensperger, before finally reaching him. (His incompetence is such that he was dialing the press office, where interns answered and hung up, assuming that it was a prank.)

The transcript of his hour-long diatribe on the phone with Raffensperger, as reported in a blockbuster story by The Post’s Amy Gardner, underscored another fixation on Trump’s part: Stacey Abrams, who after being narrowly defeated in Georgia’s gubernatorial race in 2018 took the lessons from the loss and built a Democratic voter-mobilization program that will be studied — and emulated — for years to come.

“Stacey Abrams is laughing about you,” Trump fumed. “She’s going around saying these guys are dumber than a rock. What she’s done to this party is unbelievable, I tell you.”

When the president says things like that to other people, we have learned, he is projecting what he knows to be the case about himself. And if there is anything that he cannot abide, it is the idea that a woman — or an African American, and Abrams is both — might be mocking him.

It parallels the narrative, embraced by many close to Trump, that his decision to run for president in the first place was set in motion after then-President Barack Obama made fun of him at the 2011 White House correspondents’ dinner. Since he has been president, nothing has unsettled him more than the contempt of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.).

Republicans knew what he was when they made the bargain they did, transforming themselves from a party that claimed to stand for conservative values to one that was willing to become whatever Trump demanded it to be. It got some judges and some tax cuts along the way.

But this fealty was never going to be a mutual one. The GOP is of no use to Trump anymore — except as a target for blame and recrimination.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... -complete/
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

MJ2004 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:49 pm The day McConnell stops being majority leader we should all celebrate with champagne. More momentous even than dumping Trump.
My bottle is chilling in the fridge just waiting for the official announcement.
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

Well done voters of Georgia!!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Olivia Beavers @Olivia_Beavers
>> Hill source tells me "Looks like they’re trying to tear down what they’ve set up for the inauguration."

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

No rubber bullets, tear gas or pepper spray are in evidence.