Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ZeroDrek
@ZeroDrek
Reddit plans to charge $12,000 per 50 million API requests. This is a death knell for 3rd party Reddit apps. Corporate greed at its finest. I plan on leaving Reddit and spending that time here instead. #reddit

https://reddit.com/r/apolloapp/comment
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Very easy to spot?
Wow, so, now it will be a competition to see who adds kinks and "imperfections" to make it even more real.
I guess it will be a one afternoon job, for the programmer.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This is fascinating.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Interesting indeed.
One caveat (remember, IATA). Why is the ECUADOR coast called the SOUTH PACIFIC. It is at the equator.
(Again, IATA, does not take away one bit from the article. Just found it weird).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Today in Elmo-land

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

So the tl;dr is this is a money grab.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I think this party is now close to over. I doubt there will be many paying customers for a site which is just entertainment for 80%+ of users.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This is insanity. What's been happening is that normal people have been merrily blocking the infomercial ads and blue check loonies. High volume non verified accounts so he's trying to force you to get verified. If you're limited to 600 total tweets per day including ads why bother?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Sheldon Chang 🇺🇸
@sysop408@sfba.social
This is hilarious. It appears that Twitter is DDOSing itself.

The Twitter home feed's been down for most of this morning. Even though nothing loads, the Twitter website never stops trying and trying.

In the first video, notice the error message that I'm being rate limited. Then notice the jiggling scrollbar on the right.

The second video shows why it's jiggling. Twitter is firing off about 10 requests a second to itself to try and fetch content that never arrives because Elon's latest genius innovation is to block people from being able to read Twitter without logging in.

This likely created some hellish conditions that the engineers never envisioned and so we get this comedy of errors resulting in the most epic of self-owns, the self-DDOS.

Unbelievable. It's amateur hour.

#TwitterDown #MastodonMigration #DDOS #TwitterFail #SelfDDOS

https://files.sfba.social/media_attachm ... 406b59.mp4

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:12 pm I think this party is now close to over. I doubt there will be many paying customers for a site which is just entertainment for 80%+ of users.
My daughter, who just yesterday was saying she had no plans to leave Twitter just said the same thing you did.

Rod Hilton
@rodhilton@mastodon.social
Imagine how stupid you have to be to take your web site which traffics in popular posts driving engagement, and disincentivize 99% of your users from loading the most popular posts with the most interest around them because it will eat their daily allotment of reads if they do.

Alex
@mentallyalex@beige.party
@rodhilton I didn't see the original toot, just this one and honestly thought to myself, "Wait he did what? No way..." *click* and then read the above.

That...they *can't* have a board anymore, right? Prior to this level of dumb he got rid of the board?

I don't mean to besmirch them, but I honestly question why anyone would willingly use that tool if they weren't being paid to do so. It's seems like he has a train set and has no interest in trains so he's just pulling levers and watching what happens.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

There's also this

Pwnallthethings
@Pwnallthethings@mastodon.social
hmm