2023 FOSP Women's Picks & Results Thread

Can you beat the draw? Just one measly pick a day...

Moderator: Contest Staff

dollymix United States of America

Re: 2023 FOSP Women's Picks & Results Thread

Post by dollymix »

Improbabledream wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:48 am
dollymix wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:06 am
Improbabledream wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:05 am Did I see right that Bencic had two break points to go up a break in the third? Hard to feel terrible about that pick, thats just the WTA being the WTA
I dunno, Bencic has been out injured for a couple months, and she basically never does well on clay outside of Charleston. Plus she was playing someone with three qualifying matches under their belt - just a risky pick all around.
I didnt do my homework, I HATE picking against qualifiers. Yet, I stand by it because 1. They are all risky picks 2. She had 2 break points to go up 4-2 in the third. I also believe BB should make the third round of RG getting out of bed, albeit not great on clay... but decent.
However Im responding to this because I was blown away by your ATP picks. Albot etcheverry olivieri. Brilliant. Like pro gambler stuff. I should be asking you if Im stupid to think cerudolo will beat fritz.
Haha, thanks. Honestly, I barely follow the men's game so I go for somewhat random players and have a bias towards people with cool names (Etcheverry speaks for itself, and Olivieri is the name of a typerwriter company). I think following women's tennis has made me convinced that rankings don't matter at all - I just try to pick players who are in form on the surface against players who aren't. Which often means picking qualifiers, like Albot and Olivieri.

Post by dollymix »

Wow, I'm glad I didn't watch Haddad Maia since the live scores were enough of a rollercoaster.

Post by dollymix »

dollymix wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:16 pm and Olivieri is the name of a typerwriter company
Whoops, the typewriter company is named Olivetti. Close enough I guess!
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

wow, today's pick was a total disaster. I'd have never expected Andreescu to lose so meekly to a player so unspectacular. I did consider Schmiedlova and Haddad Maia too... :(
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Surprising score, especially in view that Tsurenko has been a "retired" player during the year.
That was not a bad pick. It simply bit back.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
karlovicfanclub United States of America

Post by karlovicfanclub »

JTContinental wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:25 am 16 remain, anxiously awaiting their invitation to the Updated Picks & Results thread. But first, you have to make it through today.

The numbers

Bianca Andreescu 5
Ons Jabeur 4
Beatriz Haddad Maia 3
Bernarda Pera 2
Anna Karolina Schmiedlova 2
I'm one of the Jabeur pickers, and wouldn't have picked her if I had known that Rybakina was going to withdraw, since I was counting on having Rybakina as an option to pick if she played Jabeur in a later round. Of course it's a moot point if Jabeur doesn't win today (she just lost the first set), but if she does get through it narrows my options in a few days.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

That Rybakina w/o truly will throw a wrench in the machine. Of course, SST is not the guppy in the next round.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

This party is over. Now it's just a room full of dead bodies. Join us in the UPDATED thread for more hijinx, but losers are only allowed to gaze longingly at us through the picture window.